Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

ARB Awning
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28 ... 31, 32, 33  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
acha3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: ARB Awning Reply with quote

Thanks for this information, my is 83.5 so GW is the only option, Thanks
WandS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: ARB Awning Reply with quote

Has anyone had to replace the velcro holder/straps that hold the awning in its case? All 3 of my straps have deteriorated. Having had a chance to find a workaround yet, but just curious. Love the awning and how easy it is to deploy.

Need to buy some new awning mounts because my gowesty brackets have rusted through even though I have painted them before.

Does anybody make aluminum brackets?

Thanks
beach_creature
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: ARB Awning Reply with quote

Gowesty brackets are now stainless steel.
erdonline
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:10 am    Post subject: Re: ARB Awning Reply with quote

beach_creature wrote:

They offer stainless, but still sell their original ones as well.

Ed
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: ARB Awning Reply with quote

erdonline wrote:
beach_creature wrote:

Ed

Do you have a link for the original ones? I only see the T2 bus type that looks like original.
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: ARB Awning Reply with quote

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=gowesty+awning+bracket

Check out the first hit... Wink

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: ARB Awning Reply with quote

dhaavers wrote:
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=gowesty+awning+bracket

Check out the first hit... Wink

- Dave

Thank you for the googling that for me.

Part #: GVW-F45VW-T2
Works With: 1968-79

Wink

shagginwagon83 wrote:

I only see the T2 bus type that looks like original.

dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: ARB Awning Reply with quote

Oops...I thought they were the same black ones I just put on the van last spring.

My bad... Embarassed

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
erdonline
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:24 am    Post subject: Re: ARB Awning Reply with quote

shagginwagon83 wrote:
erdonline wrote:
beach_creature wrote:

Ed

Do you have a link for the original ones? I only see the T2 bus type that looks like original.

Whoops! I didn't catch the note on the ones I looked at being for '68 to '79. I'm not encouraging anyone to try them on a Vanagon, but I am curious if they would work.

Ed
Vanlife Geek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: ARB Awning Reply with quote

I thought I'd share a few pictures of my Screen Room and 3-Wall Tent. It's amazing how much more protected living space you gain with either one. I realize I could have purchased the new version that has both screen and tent, but I'm using the 3-wall tent in conjunction with my portable wood burning stove and wasn't sure if I could cut a hole properly for the stove pipe flashing kit in the newer version. Also, a tent floor and wood stove doesn't sound like a good idea. In any event, it is all working great... as long as it isn't too windy.

The main problem using the tent/stove combo is finding a place to camp in Colorado during the winter that isn't crazy windy and I've learned my lesson on using the ARB awning in strong winds. And it's usually windy here in the winter. I can just imagine the whole tent and awning collapsing onto a hot stove! The upside is that when I can use the stove, it keeps the tent nice and toasty and if I keep my sliding door open, the van interior reaps the benefit, too. I've always got my Propex 1800 if the winds are blowing too hard and I also have the GW window insulation panels and Francher's poptop insulation, so hopefully I'm set.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

ARB 3-Wall Tent

Stove pipe flashing... took me a while before I worked up the nerve to cut the hole!

And when it's too windy...

Previous:
1983 Westy
1981 Westy
1972 Bug (Last year you could buy a new one for under $2,000)
1965/66 Bug (2 bugs from a junk yard combined to make 1 functional bug)
1959 Bug (Pre Gas Gauge Era)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
candyman
Samba Trout Slayer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: ARB Awning Reply with quote

Nice set up! I contemplated the wood stove idea for mine arb tent as well. Looks like a clean install. Yea winds can suck for sure. I was in a pretty good windstorm last summer with my tent setup. Had 25-35 mile an hour sustained winds for several hours. Dipped one corner of tent into the wind and guy lined it really well. It survived no issues. However, a wood stove would have made for some real entertainment. My 5kw chinese diesel heater on high and sliding door open, actually does a great job of warming up the tent
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ride-Fly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: ARB Awning Reply with quote

epbiggs wrote:
I thought I'd share a few pictures of my Screen Room and 3-Wall Tent. It's amazing how much more protected living space you gain with either one. I realize I could have purchased the new version that has both screen and tent, but I'm using the 3-wall tent in conjunction with my portable wood burning stove and wasn't sure if I could cut a hole properly for the stove pipe flashing kit in the newer version. Also, a tent floor and wood stove doesn't sound like a good idea. In any event, it is all working great... as long as it isn't too windy.

Stove pipe flashing... took me a while before I worked up the nerve to cut the hole!

Wow, that is such a cool set up! Color me green!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vanlife Geek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: ARB Awning Reply with quote

candyman wrote:
Nice set up! I contemplated the wood stove idea for mine arb tent as well. Looks like a clean install. Yea winds can suck for sure. I was in a pretty good windstorm last summer with my tent setup. Had 25-35 mile an hour sustained winds for several hours. Dipped one corner of tent into the wind and guy lined it really well. It survived no issues. However, a wood stove would have made for some real entertainment. My 5kw chinese diesel heater on high and sliding door open, actually does a great job of warming up the tent

That kind of "entertainment" I try to avoid! Earlier in this thread, I talked about how I was able to bend all 4 poles on my awning with the tent attached in a severe wind despite multiple extra guy-lines, but fortunately I didn't have the stove going. I was happy to find that replacement poles were fairly reasonable.
Previous:
1983 Westy
1981 Westy
Vanlife Geek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: ARB Awning Reply with quote

Ride-Fly wrote:
epbiggs wrote:

Wow, that is such a cool set up! Color me green!!

Thanks!
Previous:
1983 Westy
1981 Westy
dabaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: ARB Awning Reply with quote

very nice setup with that wood stove! toss a reflective sunvisor behind in the corner to direct some heat forward...

BiWerks Design, LLC
Vanlife Geek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: ARB Awning Reply with quote

dabaron wrote:
very nice setup with that wood stove! toss a reflective sunvisor behind in the corner to direct some heat forward...

Excellent idea! Thanks.
Previous:
1983 Westy
1981 Westy
smd333
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: ARB Awning Reply with quote

That stove setup looks really nice. Now you can get one of those nifty hot water tanks that take the heat from the stovepipe.

https://luxe-hiking-gear.com/collections/tent-wood...ood-stoves
Vanlife Geek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: ARB Awning Reply with quote

smd333 wrote:
That stove setup looks really nice. Now you can get one of those nifty hot water tanks that take the heat from the stovepipe.

https://luxe-hiking-gear.com/collections/tent-wood...ood-stoves

Actually, a 3L tank came in the kit I got, "Winnerwell Woodlander Deluxe Cook Package". It all fits, including the water tank and stovepipes (the grate sits on top), inside the stove for transport/storage. And that fits in a nice included bag, which has side pockets with enough room for my angled pipe adapters (two 90 degree & two 45 degree). The water tank works like a champ. Thanks for the suggestion, though!

Previous:
1983 Westy
1981 Westy
SCM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: ARB Awning Reply with quote

That stove is SWEET!

My friends and I used to set up DIY "ski camps" using various combinations of tents and stoves but stopped once we got busted/fined for overstaying the occupancy limit on USFS land - a heck of a story that was, guns and all.

Anyway, that stove would have been great.

Possibly better than a reflective sun visor, or worth adding along with it, is one of these "eco fans". They move a surprising amount of air without using any energy other than the heat of the stove.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Ecofan-UltrAir-Medium-...lsrc=aw.ds
Vanlife Geek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: ARB Awning Reply with quote

SCM wrote:
That stove is SWEET!

My friends and I used to set up DIY "ski camps" using various combinations of tents and stoves but stopped once we got busted/fined for overstaying the occupancy limit on USFS land - a heck of a story that was, guns and all.

Anyway, that stove would have been great.

Possibly better than a reflective sun visor, or worth adding along with it, is one of these "eco fans". They move a surprising amount of air without using any energy other than the heat of the stove.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Ecofan-UltrAir-Medium-...lsrc=aw.ds

I've "pushed" the 14 day limit on USFS lands several times myself. Some might say the 14 day limit starts the day they first see you Wink , although if I'm in a busy area I try to respect the rules.

I'd love one of those eco fans, but boy are they pricey. The cheapest one is $80. Maybe I'll put one on my wish list.
Previous:
1983 Westy
1981 Westy
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28 ... 31, 32, 33  Next
Jump to:
Page 27 of 33

Jump to: