Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

ARB Awning
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 29, 30, 31, 32, 33  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
tobloyd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: ARB Awning Reply with quote

🤔

Any idea why the bolt heads on the back interfere with opening and closing the fiberglass top?
NorthOf50
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 10:21 pm    Post subject: Re: ARB Awning Reply with quote

it shouldn't if everything is installed correctly. I'm using 5/16 x 3/4" bolts for the awning and still have at least 1/2" clearance to the pop-top...

Which mount are you using?
Timwhy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 1:38 am    Post subject: Re: ARB Awning Reply with quote

tobloyd wrote:
🤔

Any idea why the bolt heads on the back interfere with opening and closing the fiberglass top?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

use allen head bolts and jam nuts in the awning for no touch.
'91 Tin Top
'90 Cabby
What the Westy wants the Westy GETS

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=Timwhy&show_results=summary

http://www.youtube.com/user/TIMWHY2?feature=mhee
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 4:15 am    Post subject: Re: ARB Awning Reply with quote

tobloyd wrote:
... 25/64-ths drill bit...

Cheap, quick answer: 3/8" bit and allow to wallow... Cool

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: ARB Awning Reply with quote

We've had an ARB on our EV for about four years, but the last couple deployments have been plagued with component failures. First, the internal cam lock failed on one of the horizontal extension poles, and then the Velcro straps lost their grip. The cam lock issue appears to be due to the aluminum tube expanding its internal diameter at the full extension point, and the cam losing its serrated teeth. The Velcro straps are just worn out. This is all very disappointing since we've deployed the awning less than twenty times during our ownership. Anyone else have similar issues?

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: ARB Awning Reply with quote

My velcro straps are starting to go, but I have at least 100 deployments, and many more nights of use, out of mine.
Corwyn Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: ARB Awning Reply with quote

mikemtnbike wrote:
My velcro straps are starting to go, but I have at least 100 deployments, and many more nights of use, out of mine.

My velcro got too fuzzy to work, so I cut it off at the edge of the awning, hammered grommets through the velcro where it was sewed on the awning and made bungie balls to hold the sides. No more velcro problems!
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604813&highlight=baja

"If anything's" gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there"
~ Captain Ron ~
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Timwhy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 4:29 am    Post subject: Re: ARB Awning Reply with quote

My awning's Velcro was not catching so I replaced it with some wider Velcro. We'll see how long this lasts.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00W0HTT62/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
'91 Tin Top
'90 Cabby
What the Westy wants the Westy GETS

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=Timwhy&show_results=summary

http://www.youtube.com/user/TIMWHY2?feature=mhee
Vanlife Geek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: ARB Awning Reply with quote

My fuzzy (loop) side of the Velcro has also stopped being fuzzy enough (or is too fuzzy?). In fact, it never did really stick well, even new. I was camped last week at a very windy spot, The Pawnee National Grasslands. The site did overlook the Pawnee Buttes (all two of them), which was sort of cool. When I arrived, the winds were minimal and the weather was great. I should have known better, though, since there are wind turbines everywhere. Also, if you read any reviews of the dispersed camping sites there, they pretty much all mention the wind. I guess I should have read that first, but this was a backup plan and I didn't really study up on the place. Anyway, during my first night, the wind began picking up and for the next two days, there was a steady 30 mph wind, with gusts exceeding 50 mph.

Of course in this wind, the Velcro was completely worthless and just flapped helplessly. I temporarily fixed the Velcro issue by putting a strip of the fuzzy side I had onto the back side of awning Loop strip. This way, I can wrap it around the pole and back onto itself and it actually worked. I got some better Velcro to redo it later when it's calm out and this Velcro is supposed to be for attaching to fabric. I'll think more about a more permanent fix later, but for now it works.

Since I've had to replace my poles in the past due to overly windy conditions (90 mph gusts), I was concerned it would happen again. I was thinking I should just take it down, but the wind didn't give me any breaks and I was worried it would get away from me and cause even more damage than if I just left it up. Kind of a Catch 22 situation. I decided to leave it up, but add more guy lines. I already had purchased some springs to use on my guy lines to help absorb the effects of the winds, so I added them to the mix. One set is from ARB and includes a huge line tensioner (I suppose so you can roll up the guy line around it). I also got some generic springs on Amazon that seem to be just as effective. And boy were they effective! I could just watch them flexing in and out absorbing some serious impact winds. I'm convinced that having two sets of guy lines and using the springs, the ability for this awning to withstand winds is increased dramatically. All my poles came out intact and straight.

This, however, was not my favorite camping site. Apparently it's always windy, and when I was there, it also rained nearly the whole time. The rain was of the horizontal and diagonal variety with all the wind, and water was finding its way through some pop top seams/gaps/fabric... not sure where. Anyway, once the weather cleared up a bit and the winds were light enough to take down the awning safely, I got the hell out of there.
Double guy line strategy
Pawnee Buttes in the background, under the awning
Velcro fail!
Velcro fixed!
Two guy lines per pole.
ARB spring with gigantic tensioner
The ARB Mega Tensioner
Conventional metal tensioner
Generic springs from Amazon. You get 5 of them for $14: https://amzn.to/3udfeUm
Black ARB Spring

Also, I'm curious where other folks tie their guy lines to the poles. I tie mine around the narrow part of the plastic pole attachment thingy, like in the picture below...
Is this where everyone ties to or am I missing something.

And if I still have your attention, has anyone devised a way to attach two items to the long slot along the front? I'd like to use both my screen room and a wind break at the same time, but both require the use of that slot. You'd think someone would have come up with a "doubler" insert. Something that slides into the slot that has two slots. The slot:

The moral of this story is if you ever camp at Pawnee National Grasslands, bring a kite and leave the awning in the bag.
Previous:
1983 Westy
1981 Westy
1972 Bug (Last year you could buy a new one for under $2,000)
1965/66 Bug (2 bugs from a junk yard combined to make 1 functional bug)
1959 Bug (Pre Gas Gauge Era)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: ARB Awning Reply with quote

Quote:

No tying. Just pull the pin out a bit, poke it thru the loop and re-insert.

We keep threatening to leave the cords attached to the aluminum, rolling the cord up inside. But to drill the holes and set this up I have to deploy it at home and I always forget. Maybe I should bring a drill camping.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb

Last edited by Sodo on Fri May 21, 2021 8:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Vanlife Geek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: ARB Awning Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:

Quote:

No tying. Just pull the pin out a bit, poke it thru the loop and re-insert.

Very interesting, thanks!
Previous:
1983 Westy
1981 Westy
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 8:53 pm    Post subject: Re: ARB Awning Reply with quote

Vanlife Geek wrote:

And if I still have your attention, has anyone devised a way to attach two items to the long slot along the front?

https://www.campingworld.com/rv-twintrak-42443.html 🍺
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 9:07 pm    Post subject: Re: ARB Awning Reply with quote

What zipper lube should be used on the cover?
Seems like a dry lube is best.
I wouldn’t want it to attract dust.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
Vanlife Geek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 10:22 pm    Post subject: Re: ARB Awning Reply with quote

kamzcab86 wrote:
Vanlife Geek wrote:

And if I still have your attention, has anyone devised a way to attach two items to the long slot along the front?

Wow, that's exactly what I was thinking. Thanks for the link!
Previous:
1983 Westy
1981 Westy
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2021 7:28 am    Post subject: Re: ARB Awning Reply with quote

OK I did it.

Added a notch so I can leave the cords attached and roll them up.
Now the little canvas baggie only has the stakes in it.

OK as usual, just after doing this mod.....
I found that you can just put it up into the lot first (above the support donut).

I had cutters remorse for a little while but in using it, found that the notch method could be a little better as a separate step if you're doing it solo.
When setting up camp. breaking down, easier/faster is rewarded.

Last edited by Sodo on Sat May 22, 2021 11:56 am; edited 1 time in total
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2021 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: ARB Awning Reply with quote

Or this which will preserve the original and allow the awning to do what it was designed for.
erste
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2021 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: ARB Awning Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:
OK I did it.
Now the little canvas baggie only has the stakes in it.

You can store the stakes with the awning by strapping them in to one of the 3 velcro straps that hold the awning up when it’s stored. Plenty of room for the cords too.
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2021 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: ARB Awning Reply with quote

Yes thats where we’ve been stashing the bag.
And it drops out at your feet when you unzip it.
We got tired of stuffing the cords in.
And without the cords the bag fits easier behind the zipper.

Boy aren’t we all getting excited about Van season?

kamzcab86 wrote:
Vanlife Geek wrote:

What would you use the 2nd slot along the front for?

erste
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2021 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: ARB Awning Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:

And it drops out at your feet when you unzip it.

use the velcro straps to hold the bag in place. Cool
Vanlife Geek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2021 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: ARB Awning Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:

kamzcab86 wrote:
Vanlife Geek wrote:

What would you use the 2nd slot along the front for?

Mainly I'd use a second slot when I'm using the screen room, which uses the slot. It would be nice to be able to use the Front Wind Break at the same time, which also requires a slot. I also have the 3-wall tent, which each side can be used independently. I'd like to see if I can use the front section as a windbreak of sorts or just be able to use it for privacy if I'm camped near others. I don't have the front wind break yet, because I use the screen room a lot and couldn't use both at the same time. Until now! Might have to pull the trigger on the windbreak now that there is a solution. I might get the TwinTrak adapter first to see how that front section of the tent works before purchasing the wind break if they can do essentially the same thing, although I kind of doubt it since the wind break is much longer and could be angled to deflect the wind better... I'm surmising.

Another possible use for me would be to use the front wind break with the tent deployed. If it really helps with wind mitigation, it would be very nice for winter camping, which in Colorado is sort of the windy season. I like to use my wood stove in the tent, but worry about the wind collapsing the whole thing down on a red hot stove. Panic would ensue. I'm actually planning to go to Arizona next winter, so hopefully windy and cold won't be an issue.

But since I do seem to find myself camping in windy conditions quite a bit, I'd sure like to get more confident in my various awning/accessory configurations and am exploring all the options while trying to glean any good tips from my fellow Samba folks. There's been a flurry of good tips on this thread!
Previous:
1983 Westy
1981 Westy

Last edited by Vanlife Geek on Sat May 22, 2021 12:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 29, 30, 31, 32, 33  Next
Jump to:
Page 30 of 33

Jump to: