Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

ARB Awning
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 30, 31, 32, 33  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2021 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: ARB Awning Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:

kamzcab86 wrote:
Vanlife Geek wrote:

And if I still have your attention, has anyone devised a way to attach two items to the long slot along the front?

https://www.campingworld.com/rv-twintrak-42443.html 🍺

What would you use the 2nd slot along the front for?

My Fiamma came equipped with two tracks. I've had lights and flags hanging from one, shade/rain/wind panel hanging from the other. Vanlife Geek wants to use the ARB screen room with a separate wind block. Lots of uses for a double accessory track.
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
erste
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2021 12:38 pm    Post subject: Re: ARB Awning Reply with quote

Vanlife Geek,
thanks for sharing the info on those spring things. I didn’t know about them.

The newer awnings come with a clear plastic channel in the middle for a LED strip light. I have the older style without this channel but used 3m heavy duty double stick tape to attach it to the front bar.
The light is dimmable and has 3 colors (white, yellow, mixed). It’s a strip of LEDs epoxied in an aluminum channel. You could DIY something but for the price I thought it was a pretty good deal.
It plugs into a USB outlet and you’ll probably need an extension since the light is meant to be used 4’ closer to the van. I added a USB outlet closer to the slider and the wires can now run down the side poles.
I think I actually prefer it being on the front pole instead of in the middle like the newer awnings.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
The velcro on mine doesn’t hold anymore so I’m thinking about adding snaps.
I’ve always run the guy wires through the holes in the front if the bar.
TopBud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: ARB Awning Reply with quote

Uniwerks sells these things to hold lanterns and such to your awning. I have used them for attaching guy lines also.
https://www.uniwerksdesign.com/product/arb-awning-hook-kit/
They are pretty cool goodies
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vanagonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: ARB Awning Reply with quote

kamzcab86 wrote:

My Fiamma came equipped with two tracks. I've had lights and flags hanging from one, shade/rain/wind panel hanging from the other. Vanlife Geek wants to use the ARB screen room with a separate wind block. Lots of uses for a double accessory track.

https://www.caravanaccessoryshop.co.uk/product/fiamma-awning-hangers/4515
I bought these Fiamma awning track hangars, but camping world and others sell similar.

Yakima skyhooks is one option

https://www.freaksports.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/Yakima-SkyHooks-02-800x800.jpg

https://yakima.com/products/skyhooks
LiMBO is on Facebook too! https://www.facebook.com/groups/
FAQ thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=525798
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2021 7:13 am    Post subject: Re: ARB Awning Reply with quote

Vanlife Geek wrote:
My fuzzy (loop) side of the Velcro has also stopped being fuzzy enough (or is too fuzzy?). In fact, it never did really stick well, even new. I was camped last week at a very windy spot, The Pawnee National Grasslands. The site did overlook the Pawnee Buttes (all two of them), which was sort of cool. When I arrived, the winds were minimal and the weather was great. I should have known better, though, since there are wind turbines everywhere. Also, if you read any reviews of the dispersed camping sites there, they pretty much all mention the wind. I guess I should have read that first, but this was a backup plan and I didn't really study up on the place. Anyway, during my first night, the wind began picking up and for the next two days, there was a steady 30 mph wind, with gusts exceeding 50 mph.

Of course in this wind, the Velcro was completely worthless and just flapped helplessly. I temporarily fixed the Velcro issue by putting a strip of the fuzzy side I had onto the back side of awning Loop strip. This way, I can wrap it around the pole and back onto itself and it actually worked. I got some better Velcro to redo it later when it's calm out and this Velcro is supposed to be for attaching to fabric. I'll think more about a more permanent fix later, but for now it works.

Since I've had to replace my poles in the past due to overly windy conditions (90 mph gusts), I was concerned it would happen again. I was thinking I should just take it down, but the wind didn't give me any breaks and I was worried it would get away from me and cause even more damage than if I just left it up. Kind of a Catch 22 situation. I decided to leave it up, but add more guy lines. I already had purchased some springs to use on my guy lines to help absorb the effects of the winds, so I added them to the mix. One set is from ARB and includes a huge line tensioner (I suppose so you can roll up the guy line around it). I also got some generic springs on Amazon that seem to be just as effective. And boy were they effective! I could just watch them flexing in and out absorbing some serious impact winds. I'm convinced that having two sets of guy lines and using the springs, the ability for this awning to withstand winds is increased dramatically. All my poles came out intact and straight.

I love the description in Amazon, "When the Fierce Winds come"... that made me laugh, although in your case, the springs really did hold up to the Fierce Winds..... Cool Cool
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2021 7:24 am    Post subject: Re: ARB Awning Reply with quote

erste wrote:
Vanlife Geek,

Good night what a beautiful camping spot.
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2021 7:41 am    Post subject: Re: ARB Awning Reply with quote

mikemtnbike wrote:
erste wrote:
Vanlife Geek,

Good night what a beautiful camping spot.

Agreed. I'm impressed that the guy lines are secured. A seemingly beautiful day might make a camper to think that guy lines are unnecessary...until the hail storm decides to teach a lazy camper a lesson.

Fortunately, Das Mule sells ARB parts at reasonable prices (if you're in the Seattle area I recommend Das Mule for ARB purchases, they're friendly Vanagon people).

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
Vanlife Geek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2021 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: ARB Awning Reply with quote

While I was camping at Pawnee National Grasslands recently, I didn't bother pulling out any of my good camera equipment but did take some video and pictures with my cell phone and made a little video. This may give a good idea of the winds I was enduring, which were a constant 30 mph and gusting over 50 mph. It did calm down occasionally to around 16 mph, but it was just a ploy to make me think it would be quiet for a while. When I caught a break in the wind, I put my awning away and with more wind, dropping temps and snow in the forecast, I got the hell out of there.

I wish I'd taken some closeup footage of the guy line springs in action, because I think they really made a big difference. I have bent poles in the past, but this time I got away without any damage. It's nerve wracking, though. And yes, it is possible to take down the awning single handed when it's really windy, but last time I did it, I managed to poke a nice hole in my awning with one of the poles when it got away from me. It's a better job for two people!

Link

Previous:
1983 Westy
1981 Westy
1972 Bug (Last year you could buy a new one for under $2,000)
1965/66 Bug (2 bugs from a junk yard combined to make 1 functional bug)
1959 Bug (Pre Gas Gauge Era)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2021 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: ARB Awning Reply with quote

VLG, nice video!

What amount of time does deploying and retracting take? I talked with a recently retired gal about her ARB once, she mentioned "about half an hour" and she was not so keen on my reply that a different brand had a deploy and retract of about 2 minutes... "how many half hours you got to spare?" was my last question, to which she turned to her newlywed husband (also just retired) and said "were getting that other kind, right?" At some point in your life, you start wondering how much time is worth, and how much enjoyment you want in what is left.

Mrs. Black loves that story.. and offered to buy the other kind for my "next birthday present" to which I mention every year, and she says "yup, your next one!" Her idea of camping is driving some long number of hours to a place she remembers from her childhood as being nice, then solving for Y. Find camp location, pay money if needed, map out the surrounding area for places of interest. Put up the top, move some crap, flop out on the bed and fall asleep. Next AM, all planned in her head where we will be going to have breakfast, then to whichever beach or trail she wanted, and spend a few hours here and there all day. Thus, deploying an awning is not really in her wheelhouse. If it were 2 minutes, sure. I don't think we've ever stayed put more than 18 hours anywhere without some side trip.

Free beer tomorrow!

-bobby
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2021 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: ARB Awning Reply with quote

10 minutes or less to put the ARB away Bobby. 10-15, tops, to set-up. I'm pretty meticulous with set-up, so takes longer- never set-it up without guy lines.

I'm the opposite while camping, prefer to go someplace where the activities are and stay put-ish.
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2021 11:57 am    Post subject: Re: ARB Awning Reply with quote

10-15 minutes, sounds fine. But, I think things start taking longer as I get older. Or maybe I just misremember things more easily.
Vanlife Geek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2021 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: ARB Awning Reply with quote

bobbyblack wrote:
VLG, nice video!

What amount of time does deploying and retracting take? I talked with a recently retired gal about her ARB once, she mentioned "about half an hour" and she was not so keen on my reply that a different brand had a deploy and retract of about 2 minutes... "how many half hours you got to spare?" was my last question, to which she turned to her newlywed husband (also just retired) and said "were getting that other kind, right?" At some point in your life, you start wondering how much time is worth, and how much enjoyment you want in what is left.

Mrs. Black loves that story.. and offered to buy the other kind for my "next birthday present" to which I mention every year, and she says "yup, your next one!" Her idea of camping is driving some long number of hours to a place she remembers from her childhood as being nice, then solving for Y. Find camp location, pay money if needed, map out the surrounding area for places of interest. Put up the top, move some crap, flop out on the bed and fall asleep. Next AM, all planned in her head where we will be going to have breakfast, then to whichever beach or trail she wanted, and spend a few hours here and there all day. Thus, deploying an awning is not really in her wheelhouse. If it were 2 minutes, sure. I don't think we've ever stayed put more than 18 hours anywhere without some side trip.

Free beer tomorrow!

-bobby

Thanks! I've never timed myself, but I would guess it only takes about 5 - 10 minutes to deploy or take down solo, including staking it down properly. Since I try to camp for 2 weeks at a time, the time it takes is relatively minimal overall. Adding the screen room or tent takes a bit longer, but is usually worth it. I love having that much more protected space and it's definitely worth the time for me personally. Especially if it's raining or snowing, or buggy with the screen room. If you're just doing an overnighter, it's probably not worth it.

When it's cold out and I can deploy the tent with my portable wood stove, it's pretty damn nice.

And when the bugs are out and I can have a large bug-free space, life is good.
Since I'm retired, time is relative.
Previous:
1983 Westy
1981 Westy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
candyman
Samba Trout Slayer

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2021 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: ARB Awning Reply with quote

Funny this just came up. Thanks for the inspiration VLG! I finished my stove jack install this weekend for my winnerwell nomad and new gen arb side tent. On the newer tents there is not a lot of options where to penetrate other than the front door. I decided to center my stove perfectly in the tent so we can still sleep two on the sides if needed and have plenty of room to work around it safely. One word about safety is to work a guy line on the front door to pull it tight so no wind will blow the fabric back at stove. The stove is about 40+ inches from front of tent but a good wind will blow that fabric in dangerously . I have a 4x8 welders blanket arriving today from amazon to cover the floor area andof course carbon monoxide detextor and fire extinguisher. In case anyone is wondering, its still very much end of winter early spring here in MT, so this will get a work out over the next month at least

Vanlife Geek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2021 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: ARB Awning Reply with quote

candyman wrote:
Funny this just came up. Thanks for the inspiration VLG! I finished my stove jack install this weekend for my winnerwell nomad and new gen arb side tent. On the newer tents there is not a lot of options where to penetrate other than the front door. I decided to center my stove perfectly in the tent so we can still sleep two on the sides if needed and have plenty of room to work around it safely. One word about safety is to work a guy line on the front door to pull it tight so no wind will blow the fabric back at stove. The stove is about 40+ inches from front of tent but a good wind will blow that fabric in dangerously . In case anyone is wondering, its still very much end of winter early spring here in MT, so this will get a work out over the next month at least

Very cool!!! I wondered how you would deal with exiting the tent with the stove pipe. You just undo that part of the screen so you only have to exit through the tent fabric. No hole in the screen. Brilliant!

I did just order the RV TwinTrak channel thingy and am looking forward to experimenting with additional setup options.
Previous:
1983 Westy
1981 Westy
candyman
Samba Trout Slayer

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2021 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: ARB Awning Reply with quote

Yup screen is just slightly unzipped and tucked to the outside so as to not accidentally come into contact. I had to make the screened tubing that surrounds the vent pipes to exit the tent as the winnerwell ones are out of stock. Pretty straightforward and easy to make out of 1/4” screen and band clamps
Vanlife Geek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2021 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: ARB Awning Reply with quote

candyman wrote:
Yup screen is just slightly unzipped and tucked to the outside so as to not accidentally come into contact. I had to make the screened tubing that surrounds the vent pipes to exit the tent as the winnerwell ones are out of stock. Pretty straightforward and easy to make out of 1/4” screen and band clamps
Very clever. Nice job! I'm looking forward to seeing how you like the stove after you've had a chance to use it.
Previous:
1983 Westy
1981 Westy
candyman
Samba Trout Slayer

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2021 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: ARB Awning Reply with quote

I like the stove a lot. Used it over the winter in the garage just playing with it. The only thing i dont like is the removeable lid on top. It leaks too much smoke. I think i will hightemp silicone it shut or use a fireplace gasket for it. I dont see where i will ever use it in the open position. Other than that, its money well spent imo
Vanlife Geek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2021 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: ARB Awning Reply with quote

candyman wrote:
I like the stove a lot. Used it over the winter in the garage just playing with it. The only thing i dont like is the removeable lid on top. It leaks too much smoke. I think i will hightemp silicone it shut or use a fireplace gasket for it. I dont see where i will ever use it in the open position. Other than that, its money well spent imo
I haven't experienced any smoke issues on my stove's removable lid. Mine sort of locks into place when it's closed. It's the perfect "port" for roasting marshmallows.
Previous:
1983 Westy
1981 Westy
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2021 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: ARB Awning Reply with quote

I like handyman's stove with the tripod legs. Vanlifegeek's on a monopod? Really? My engineering bent sees an asymmetrical stove pipe column going up to the guys so there is a very real possibility that being out of column the whole thing could come down. Anyone trying out a stove should erect it without the tent, but with all the bends in the smoke pipe and give it a serious shake which is what either winds or the bear trying to get in will do.

Jus saying.
Vanlife Geek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2021 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: ARB Awning Reply with quote

DuncanS wrote:
I like handyman's stove with the tripod legs. Vanlifegeek's on a monopod? Really? My engineering bent sees an asymmetrical stove pipe column going up to the guys so there is a very real possibility that being out of column the whole thing could come down. Anyone trying out a stove should erect it without the tent, but with all the bends in the smoke pipe and give it a serious shake which is what either winds or the bear trying to get in will do.

Jus saying.
Nope, mine has three legs. Not sure how one leg would work. I tried my stove out several times before using it in my tent and cutting a hole for the pipe. There are a couple of different ways of configuring the pipe with 90 degree bends and 45 degree bends. In the end, I chose just 45 degree bends. I also stake out the stove pipe with three guy lines. There are three holes in the spark arrestor specifically for guy lines. Here are a couple of pictures before I worked up the nerve to cut a hole in the tent.

Previous:
1983 Westy
1981 Westy
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 30, 31, 32, 33  Next
Jump to:
Page 31 of 33

Jump to: