Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Thrill of the day - Broken caliper!
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 5:39 pm    Post subject: Thrill of the day - Broken caliper! Reply with quote

Have any of you guys ever seen this happen before? Part of the lip that retains the piston seal broke clean off which instantly resulted in no brakes. It looks like it has been cracked for a while and finally gave way (see how much cleaner the "new" metal is near the top versus the rustier metal near the bottom?). These are original to the van OE VW calipers too.

Luckily it gave up the ghost on a lonely stretch of country road. I was able to nurse it about 7 miles back home, but not without a few "pucker" moments.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
T3Technique.com or contact me at [email protected]
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In all my years I have never seen that. I have seen cracked rotors, pad material come off the pad, shattered rotors, melted piston seals, etc but never a cracked rotor. Seems like it would HAVE to come from someone prying on the lip to pull the piston before you, ya know?
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
randywebb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what brand caliper?

age/mileage?
tpinthepack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, scary and glad you made it home OK. I can see this happening if you had no pad material left on the pads, and the piston could be all the way out and then cantilever action would cause a flex scenario, but I never thought it would compromise the casting. Pretty amazing.
Tony
1990 Vanagon DOKA
1972 Super Beetle
1979 Super Beetle Convertible
2011 Porsche Cayenne
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's really a freak failure mode right there

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You ever rebuild them?

Stuff happens.

The older the car gets the stranger the failures are.

Things like seat backs, suspension pieces, frame mounts and the like will fatigue and maybe, you just had a marginal part.

Now is a great time to upgrade!

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
shadetreetim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yikes! Shocked Glad you made it home okay. Just a reminder that anything can fail on these vehicles. And who knows what someone did 20 years ago that just now finally fails.

I already have the o-ring kits ready to go for my calipers during the next brake service. Now I want to take them apart and inspect them thoroughly sooner than that.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Doing my best every time I drive it to dispel the myth these Vanagons have to be slow!

'89 Vanagon Bluestar/Country Homes 1.8T & .77 4th
'74 Jeep CJ5
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just thought of another damage source. When compressed air is used to blow a caliper piston out, I've seen them whang* across the shop usually followed by someone sheepishly apologizing as they go retrieve it. Never thought myself that it could have hidden cracks that fail a decade later.

* A term used for a violently dangerous object or hitting same with reckless abandonment that seems like a good idea at the time.
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doug,

You know they pucks are junk after they get whanged, right?

We ALWAYS blow them into a rag on the bench.

Once I had one roll off the bench and it ended up being out of round just for a small fall.

Imagine the shape after whacking* the shop wall?

They are actually fragile precession parts.

Rant over......

*Whack a term used to describe.......

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
70coupyel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow Chris glad you made it home safe. Really weird casting breakage.

Now maybe a quick test would to make to small metal "pucks" and cover the piston holes. Then make a jack screw to hold both of them in place while you hit it with some air. Might be able to see some air bubbles.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=338946&highlight=
70 KG Coup
83 Westy Waterboxer
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, agree they should not be treated that way. I have used a chunk of wood for 30 years which bears the scars like a list of various bores n thumps. I also have a specially shaped wood piece that I made specifically to Toyota factory manual specs for these front calipers. My pistons are treated royally!
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for being concerned about my well being. I'm just so thankful that it happened when and where it did and not in a situation where it could have gone horribly wrong.

IdahoDoug wrote:
Seems like it would HAVE to come from someone prying on the lip to pull the piston before you, ya know?

randywebb wrote:
what brand caliper?

age/mileage?

Yeah, that about all I can figure too, but there is no record of the calipers (ATE) having been rebuilt by the previous owner (all service work was done by only a few different shops over the course of his ownership). I am the second owner of this van (which now has about 312,000 miles on it) and the first owner kept the most meticulous records that I have ever seen. He even kept receipts for light bulbs. I can't find any records of any caliper changes either, only pad and rotor changes. Therefore I have to assume that these calipers are the same ones that VW issued the van at the factory and that the failure is possibly just a result of fatigue. I suppose it could also be the result of a minor casting flaw (maybe an inclusion or void right on that lip?) that, with enough pressure and heat cycles, took nearly 30 years to rear its head. However, I wasn't along for the ride during all those years of previous ownership and anything could have happened along the line. I guess we will never really know for sure.

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
Syncromikey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow Shocked Shocked !!! Chris, It's really is good you made it home safe and sound. Hopefully that's a freak one time accident.
I've never heard of that happening before. Could be a whole number of reasons it let go. Lets hope it never happens to anyone else. Good reason to make sure the cables on the emergency brakes never seize with rust!

Cheers,
Mike

My build: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=528954
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, you're lucky you weren't bombing into the city on I-5...wow!

I've never seen or heard of a piston failure before. I had a vented rotor collapse on me years ago - rust weakened the webbing and the caliper crushed it flat! Scary moment as the pedal went to the floor but I was able to pump the pedal and stop the truck.

It does shake a person's faith in brakes, though.
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
randywebb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll post on a sports car racing site & let you know if anyone there has info on this type failure
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad there was no accident. Perhaps water/ slush got onto breaks and exspanded when it froze caused it to start?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
srmpf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

now that might be a very stupid question: but shouldn't the brake system a little bit more fail safe? I mean one broken caliper and ALL three remaining (or at least the drums in the back) stop working as well?
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have dual circuit master cylinders. If there is a catastrophic failure at one end of the vehicle the braking system on the opposite end of the vehicle stays intact.
A properly working e-brake and compression braking from the motor works wonders as well.

Last edited by syncrodoka on Fri May 17, 2013 10:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Crankey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that is a bit disturbing. are the calipers castings ? I wouldn't think a forging would crack like that.

I thought dual circuit breaks came along later in the air cooled era. looks like the hunt begins for another retrofit part.

glad you were in a spot that worked out ok Chris. man that must have scarred the crap out of you.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

srmpf wrote:
now that might be a very stupid question: but shouldn't the brake system a little bit more fail safe? I mean one broken caliper and ALL three remaining (or at least the drums in the back) stop working as well?

Yes, the dual circuit master cylinder separates the front and rear circuits so that if one end fails, the other end keeps working. However, have you ever tried to stop a 4000+ lb vehicle with marginal rear drums only? It's right up there with not having any brakes at all. In addition, I will admit that my rear brakes are not in the best of shape. Anticipating a rear brake change, I put off maintenance for far too long. That definitely contributed to the lack of braking ability once the front circuit was no longer in play.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: