Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

blue foil speedo query
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
randywebb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 2:47 pm    Post subject: blue foil speedo query Reply with quote

I see that my 1986 Vanagon has 6 (!) contacts from the blue foil going into the mechanical speedometer. There is also a pcb in there with some devices on it - hard to see as they mounted it where you cannot look at the top of the pcb.

This makes no sense to me - what are they all doing?

I looked at an earlier speedometer and it has no pcb on it and no provisions for all those contacts.

any ideas?
rc3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it is the dynamic oil pressure warning system control unit.
randywebb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thx - weird place to hide it...
Haynestj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: blue foil speedo query Reply with quote

randywebb wrote:
I see that my 1986 Vanagon has 6 (!) contacts from the blue foil going into the mechanical speedometer. There is also a pcb in there with some devices on it - hard to see as they mounted it where you cannot look at the top of the pcb.

This makes no sense to me - what are they all doing?

I looked at an earlier speedometer and it has no pcb on it and no provisions for all those contacts.

any ideas?

How do you remove the foil with these contacts?
jereandjess
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 6:28 am    Post subject: Re: blue foil speedo query Reply with quote

Also curious how to remove the foil from the 6 contacts on the speedometer. Are they spades that slide on/off? I don't want to try too hard for fear of damaging the foil!

Also, what's a pcb?

And what part is the oil pressure unit? My oil pressure light flashes intermittently which I have started to get used to, but would rather fix it! I am pretty confident that it is a wiring/connection issue, not actual low pressure.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

69 Beetle - In the family since new
86 Wolfsburg Vanagon Camper "Weekender" since July 25, 2015
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 6:53 am    Post subject: Re: blue foil speedo query Reply with quote

jereandjess wrote:

Also, what's a pcb?

Printed circuit board.

jereandjess wrote:

And what part is the oil pressure unit? My oil pressure light flashes intermittently which I have started to get used to, but would rather fix it! I am pretty confident that it is a wiring/connection issue, not actual low pressure.

How did it look last time you changed it? It could be low pressure (worn pump or overused oil).

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wesitarz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: blue foil speedo query Reply with quote

jereandjess wrote:
Also curious how to remove the foil from the 6 contacts on the speedometer. Are they spades that slide on/off? I don't want to try too hard for fear of damaging the foil!

The whole plastic connector slides out. Don't pull on the foil. There is a fix to disable the buzzer by unsoldering one of the connections but it's been many years since I did it.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: