Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

6 volt generator - question on electrical connections
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zylinderkopf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 8:59 pm    Post subject: 6 volt generator - question on electrical connections Reply with quote

OK - the electrical stuff always stumps me. Brick wall

This is a 1966 Bug with a 6 volt system. I'm replacing the generator and the voltage regulator.

I'm not sure how to connect the rebuilt generator I bought online. It has a different set of wires coming out of it than the old one.

The old generator had a copper wire on one side and two wires on the other ( see picture below). The copper was attached to the F terminal on the regulator. The other two were both connected to the + terminal.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The rebuilt 6v has just one red and one black wire. I would think one goes to the + terminal on the regulator, and one to F. But which goes where??!

Here are my regulators: old (bottom) and new (top - a rebuilt Bosch)

Anyone out there with expertise in this? Searches on this topic have not gotten me anywhere. How do I connect my new generator?

Thanks
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Bentley mentioned that new generator:

And while VW said not to put the new generator with an old regulator, Bosch would say that later regulator would work back quite a ways - this chart is from 1971:

Can you tell which wire is going to one of the brush holders? That would be D+

It's very likely the red wire for D+, and black for DF. But I'd try to verify that the red wire does go to a brush holder.

-Andy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
zabo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=374742&highlight=zabo+generator
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
herbie1200
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your problem is only to recognize the D+ and the DF wires from rebuilt generator, consider that D+ terminal is connected to the internal field winding and to ONE OF THE GENERATOR BRUSHES, so following the wires (removing the pulley can help) you can choose the D+; it also will be thicker.

The DF, instead, is connected only to the other end of the field.
Zylinderkopf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you for your responses. I went with red + and black F
It took me all day to replace the generator and the regulator. Got it all put back together. Unfortunately the gen light is still on. I'm thinking 12 volt conversion at this point!
johnhous
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So sticking with herbie1200 as well as the original picture, in order to polarized the generator one would have to ground the DF wire on the left and touch both the D+ (One of the generator brushes) and the other field winding wire (the winding on the right) to something hot?

I too found the 0 101 212 001 (aug 1960-Dec 1963) two generator wire very hard to find. Most 6 volt replacements will be later 0 101 212 003 and 004s which are three wire generators.

I think the earlier ones must have been wired D+ and other internal field winding inside or internal. Later not wired inside (went external) for a few years. My guess, have not stripped both down to see.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
my59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zylinderkopf wrote:
thank you for your responses. I went with red + and black F
It took me all day to replace the generator and the regulator. Got it all put back together. Unfortunately the gen light is still on. I'm thinking 12 volt conversion at this point!

Search for polarizing the generator as mention in previous post.
thomas.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It only takes a few min. to polarize if you haven't already done so.Disconnect the gen. from the volt.reg.(red & black).Take the belt off.One jumper wire on black grounded to the generator.I connect to the bolt on the gen. strap. The other jumper to battery positive terminal. Touch this one to red wire and gen. should spin clockwise..."one thousand one , one thousand two " disconnect . Reconnect everything and retry. If this doesn't work I would at least try the original v.regulator.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: