Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

(pics) Is this the oil filler tube gasket?
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BusBerd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 4:43 pm    Post subject: (pics) Is this the oil filler tube gasket? Reply with quote

I cleaned off the old gasket on my oil filler tube but I am coming down to a really hard rubber material underneath it. Is this re remnants of an even older oil filler tube gasket that has fused on to the metal?
I should be scraping it clean down to the METAL for the new gasket, right??? This hard rubber seems like it MIGHT be something inset that the new gasket installs on top of. So I thought I should check before I try to remove this hard black rubber material trying to get to the metal. (this could be the reason for my big oil leak...)

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BusBerd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

P.S. sorry the pics are kind of crappy.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gaskets leave that kind of crap when they are removed. It is some kind of sealant/preservative. You don't need to get it to bare metal, just remove any high spots and maybe run a flat file over it.
BusBerd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
Gaskets leave that kind of crap when they are removed. It is some kind of sealant/preservative. You don't need to get it to bare metal, just remove any high spots and maybe run a flat file over it.

good to know. thanks!

I kind of want to get it back to the bare metal, so i will work on loosening up this crap to get it off.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BusBerd wrote:
Wildthings wrote:

good to know. thanks!

I kind of want to get it back to the bare metal, so i will work on loosening up this crap to get it off.

flat razor blades work well. So does a really sharp flat chisel. I keep one around and a honing stone to sharpen it before every major use.
BusBerd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
BusBerd wrote:
Wildthings wrote:

good to know. thanks!

flat razor blades work well. So does a really sharp flat chisel. I keep one around and a honing stone to sharpen it before every major use.

Thanks! I was using a hard putty knife before I decided to stop and just make sure that it is ok to remove this stuff. I'm thinking of trying some gasket remover to loosen it up, maybe heat if I need to, and that chisel-like putty knife, then a little sanding to get it smooth.
BusBerd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

much better.

I tried sandblasting it off and it would not come. so I heated it up and most of it scraped off, then I was able to sandblast off the rest, then sanded it down with 400 grit.
I cleaned the case side of this connection too, although I did not feel comfortable using the heat there with most of the engine assembled, I scraped and sanded. The gunk was not as tough on the case side.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: