Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Transporting my VW, in gear or not?
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
allihjelm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 2:38 am    Post subject: Transporting my VW, in gear or not? Reply with quote

Hi guys.

Today I'm transporting my old 67 Bug on a small car transport trailer from Reykjavik in Iceland to Akureyri in north Iceland, about a 6 hour journey over mountains and through tunnels.

My question for you guys is should I put the Bug in first gear and have it in hand break or am I risking damaging the gearbox as the Bug will probably be pushed around putting strain on the gearbox and brakes?

What is your recommendation on this? Would you recommend a special way to fasten the Bug as well, any weak points that may take damage?

Thanks, Al
Fishynos72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it can be 'shunted' by other cars on the trailer, having it in gear could result in teeth on the gears being smashed off, depending how heavy the other cars are of course.
If your handbrake is adjusted and combined with proper tie downs you shouldn't have an issue,

Just my 2c

1972 1302
1973 type2a
1957 type11
2005 Caddy panel van
2006 Golf R32
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
drscope
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put it in gear and set the parking brake.

If the gearbox was delicate enough to get damaged towing like this, you would never be able to drive it out of the garage!
allihjelm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your help here guys.

The transportation went well. I fastened the car thoroughly with straps had it in handbrake and had no problems whatsoever.

Went like a charm. Smile

- Ali
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: