Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bahama blue '66 Fastback build (Aus)
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2022 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Bahama blue '66 Fastback build (Aus) Reply with quote

[quote="Yabbadubbadoo"[/quote]

Right now I'm looking for a 12 slot fuse box and trying to figure out how many extra wires I need to add to the main loom. I want to add reversing lights at some point, sound system/amp, driving lights, tacho, oil temp guage, CDI ingnition, electric fuel pump and some sort of anti theft device.
I keep looking at all those piggy back spade connector they used on the original fuse box for shared fuses and it seems near impossible to have neat wiring. It's mucking up my OCD big time.[/quote]

Keep in mind the reversing lights wiring is from the coil to the nose of the trans, then back to a splitter then to each light assembly. This means there's no wiring to run into the cabin, unless you want to feed power to the light switch. Of course, if you have one of those speedometer driver switches, then you'll need to power it up, and then run the power to the back of the car. Most of us don't like them, as you have to move the car a couple of feet first to get the switch to activate the lights. It's better to just swap out the trans nose cone for one with a switch in it, and wire it from there.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
Yabbadubbadoo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2022 2:37 am    Post subject: Re: Bahama blue '66 Fastback build (Aus) Reply with quote

This Is the stuff i sprayed into to sills and cavities. So far three cans. I used a tig rod to help guide it in. The spray nozzle at the end of the tube is surprisingly effective and fits inside an 8mm hole.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Early Aussie built cars had a simple metal steering column clamp and ignition switch. After I paint stripped it ready for new paint I wondered what it would look like if were polished. Sometimes I'm my own worst enemy. Polishing is a pig of a job when you don't really know what you're doing or have the right tools. I have a couple more hours work to do on it yet but you can see where it's headed. I'll also probably need to clear coat them unless i can find a product that'll seal it without paint because it does dull pretty quickly.

andybla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2022 5:35 am    Post subject: Re: Bahama blue '66 Fastback build (Aus) Reply with quote

YES! i can see you are getting ready to get it back on the pan Cool
Yabbadubbadoo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2022 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Bahama blue '66 Fastback build (Aus) Reply with quote

andybla wrote:
YES! i can see you are getting ready to get it back on the pan Cool

I'm a creature of habit.
It's called "scope creep".This whole project started with the intention of just getting it running and a bit of a tidy up.

Turned into a full nut'n'bolt rebuild.

I'll never learn.
Yabbadubbadoo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2022 12:28 am    Post subject: Re: Bahama blue '66 Fastback build (Aus) Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:

Keep in mind the reversing lights wiring is from the coil to the nose of the trans, then back to a splitter then to each light assembly. This means there's no wiring to run into the cabin, unless you want to feed power to the light switch. Of course, if you have one of those speedometer driver switches, then you'll need to power it up, and then run the power to the back of the car. Most of us don't like them, as you have to move the car a couple of feet first to get the switch to activate the lights. It's better to just swap out the trans nose cone for one with a switch in it, and wire it from there.

Fortunately when I put the IRS gearbox in I gained a reverse switch so that's a bonus. Thanks for the wiring lesson though. I really appreciate all the tips.
I also ended up finding a brand new 12 slot fuse box at the local vintage vw parts supplier. It's not oem but seems like good quality. The clear cover was a West coast metric and the fuse box was separately packaged in a plain white box.
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2022 7:20 am    Post subject: Re: Bahama blue '66 Fastback build (Aus) Reply with quote

I love these stainless steel? pieces!
Clear coat probably wouldn't hurt before assembly.

two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Yabbadubbadoo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2022 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Bahama blue '66 Fastback build (Aus) Reply with quote

Mike Fisher wrote:
I love these stainless steel? pieces!
Clear coat probably wouldn't hurt before assembly.

I totally don't recommend doing what I did. It's a complete PITA to do but it does look a bit like polished Stainless steel at the moment. The better you polish the more it looks like chrome.
I'm not sure what kind of aluminium based alloy it is but it seems like a good density and strength and it does darken significantly when it oxidises so it would probably have some magnesium in it. Occasionally you will be sanding and expose tiny imperfections like tiny bubbles or pores. As I said, It's a PITA.
I have some POR15 direct to metal top coat clear which is supposedly designed for this type of job so I might give that a try.
Yabbadubbadoo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2022 12:19 am    Post subject: Re: Bahama blue '66 Fastback build (Aus) Reply with quote

My brain has turned to mush. I've completely forgotten the wiring route for the interior light door switch. This looks like the only available hole but seems too easy for vw.

Or do the switch wires go down the A pillar from under dash where the interior light loom exits. Trying this option but the wire is very hard to find its way down the A pillar.

mdege
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2022 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: Bahama blue '66 Fastback build (Aus) Reply with quote

The top picture is correct.

1965 21F: Restoration of a former '65 firetruck
1963 Typ3 Notchback project
1988 Multivan Magnum 112i
1984 Standard: My son wanted a bug for his first car
Yabbadubbadoo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2022 2:52 am    Post subject: Re: Bahama blue '66 Fastback build (Aus) Reply with quote

Whilst my engine is getting built and its been raining here in Sydney for two weeks straight I thought I'd dig out this old failed tacho hack I unsuccessfully attempted about a year ago.
I bought a sticker set and needle from a guy on the other side of the planet but it didn't quite work for me because the diameter was a little larger than my tach and the needle was too loose on my tach spindle. There's also next to no information on what tach to buy and how to achieve a factory looking job so you're almost guaranteed to fail like I did first time around.
Anyhow pictures tell the story. Here's how I finally hacked my tach.
I used a fuel gauge for the body and an old rusty clock for the glass and needles
The back of the fuel gauge was cut out perfectly to size in order to slip the newer tach body inside it and get the right depth for the original metal rings and glass.

Not quite finished yet. Gonna adjust the colour of the sticker for a better match.
I'll also swap the needle colours so the static needle becomes my redline needle which i can set with the original thumbscrew and the active needle is white like my other gauges.
Started with this 90's tach. Will recalibrate later for 8k.

Chopped out the back and spent quite some time filing it to perfect fit.

Once i figured out the right depth for the rings I added an extra 2mm to allow for heat shrinkage and tack welded the two bodies together. If you don't allow for heat shrinkage the chrome ring will not seat properly. I found this out the hard way.

I'm almost done, a few cosmetic improvement left to do and swap out the clear globe boot for a green one. I swap the needle colours around and redo the grey sticker for a better match. My friend did the sticker for me as a favour but he doesn't want to get involved in producing any more so this is probably gonna be a one-off.

Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2022 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Bahama blue '66 Fastback build (Aus) Reply with quote

Nice. Cool
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2022 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: Bahama blue '66 Fastback build (Aus) Reply with quote

8K?

Ambitious! Shocked

What’s That Noise?!?
Yabbadubbadoo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2022 12:53 am    Post subject: Re: Bahama blue '66 Fastback build (Aus) Reply with quote

Clatter wrote:
8K?

Ambitious! Shocked

You gotta aim high brother.
Plus,
6k tacho just seems ordinary.

Here's some redline goals from a pretty snappy type 1.
2litre hillclimb club racing in Aus. 7krpm shifts all day long.

Link

Qldelsie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2022 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Bahama blue '66 Fastback build (Aus) Reply with quote

If you are still looking for another 12 slot fuse box, I have mine available after I replaced it with a modern push in fuse box. You are welcome to it. Can mail it down to you (am in Surfers) or I might even be driving south in the next couple of weeks and could drop it off en route, depending on where you are.
PM me with relevant details if you want it. FOC. Good condition, as per attached pics.
Giles
PS, Can't get photos to upload ?? Will try again later.
Yabbadubbadoo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2022 9:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Bahama blue '66 Fastback build (Aus) Reply with quote

Qldelsie wrote:
If you are still looking for another 12 slot fuse box, I have mine available after I replaced it with a modern push in fuse box. You are welcome to it. Can mail it down to you (am in Surfers) or I might even be driving south in the next couple of weeks and could drop it off en route, depending on where you are.
PM me with relevant details if you want it. FOC. Good condition, as per attached pics.
Giles
PS, Can't get photos to upload ?? Will try again later.

Thanks for the offer, i did find a new one recently at Vintage Veedub so I'm all sorted now.
Cheers, 👍
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2022 9:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Bahama blue '66 Fastback build (Aus) Reply with quote

Who makes this shifter? Cool

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Yabbadubbadoo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2022 2:42 am    Post subject: Re: Bahama blue '66 Fastback build (Aus) Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:
Who makes this shifter? Cool

That's a Vintage Speed shifter. It has a shorter throw and you pull up to engage reverse. More recently they come with a Porsche style nylon bushing where it fits in the shifter rod cup.. I got this one before they started doing the nylon cup bushing.
Yabbadubbadoo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2022 2:32 am    Post subject: Re: Bahama blue '66 Fastback build (Aus) Reply with quote

Btw, this happened. Finally.

Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2022 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: Bahama blue '66 Fastback build (Aus) Reply with quote

Big load off your mind/hoist!
Gotta love this fasty w/stripes.

two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2022 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Bahama blue '66 Fastback build (Aus) Reply with quote

Yabbadubbadoo wrote:
Btw, this happened. Finally.

YEAH, damn that looks good. Cool I know you've been waiting a long, long time to get them back together again. Congrats on getting it back together. Applause Applause
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25  Next
Jump to:
Page 21 of 25

Jump to: