Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bahama blue '66 Fastback build (Aus)
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Qldelsie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2022 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Bahama blue '66 Fastback build (Aus) Reply with quote

Looking good !! Smile
Yabbadubbadoo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2022 1:21 am    Post subject: Re: Bahama blue '66 Fastback build (Aus) Reply with quote

Qldelsie wrote:
Looking good !! Smile

Thanks.!
Yabbadubbadoo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2022 1:35 am    Post subject: Re: Bahama blue '66 Fastback build (Aus) Reply with quote

Mike Fisher wrote:
Big load off your mind/hoist!
Gotta love this fasty w/stripes.

Bobnotch wrote:

YEAH, damn that looks good. Cool I know you've been waiting a long, long time to get them back together again. Congrats on getting it back together. Applause Applause

Thanks Mike and Bob.
Nice to finally hoist it down. The electric forklift helped make that an easy 1 man operation plus some lever hoists on the front end with some lifting jigs I padded to lift it from under the tank area and under the rear cargo floor where the metal is nice and solid.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

mg50 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2022 3:53 am    Post subject: Re: Bahama blue '66 Fastback build (Aus) Reply with quote

I'm really enjoying this show. This is one of those perverse pleasures where the viewers get the satisfaction of seeing something wonderful come together, without having to invest in the actually work! Keep it up. Very Happy
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2022 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Bahama blue '66 Fastback build (Aus) Reply with quote

mg50 wrote:
I'm really enjoying this show. This is one of those perverse pleasures where the viewers get the satisfaction of seeing something wonderful come together, without having to invest in the actually work! Keep it up. Very Happy

I hear that. After doing a few resto's myself it's nice to be able to sit back and watch someone else do ALL of the sweaty work. Wink Don't get me wrong, I've learned quite a bit going thru the different body styles, and learning about the "running changes" VW made thru the production run. Being that this was an Australian car that probably started life as a CDK, makes seeing the changes even more important. I'm used to German models for the USA or Canadian market (basically the same), except for the gas heater being almost standard on Canadian models.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
Yabbadubbadoo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2022 1:47 am    Post subject: Re: Bahama blue '66 Fastback build (Aus) Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:
mg50 wrote:

I hear that. After doing a few resto's myself it's nice to be able to sit back and watch someone else do ALL of the sweaty work. Wink Don't get me wrong, I've learned quite a bit going thru the different body styles, and learning about the "running changes" VW made thru the production run. Being that this was an Australian car that probably started life as a CDK, makes seeing the changes even more important. I'm used to German models for the USA or Canadian market (basically the same), except for the gas heater being almost standard on Canadian models.

These early bodied Australian cars were fully manufactured and assembled here in Aus till I think 1968 when they transitioned to CKD assembly. Obviously a number of components still originated in Germany.

Surpising how much sweaty work there's still left to do however it does feel good to be working on the re-assembly side of this mountain.
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2022 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: Bahama blue '66 Fastback build (Aus) Reply with quote

Yabbadubbadoo wrote:

Surprising how much sweaty work there's still left to do however it does feel good to be working on the re-assembly side of this mountain.

At least you're starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel. Wink Before you were working your way up the mountain, that's the tough part, where all of the hard work begins (clean up of parts, to determine able to rebuild, or replace). Now it's mostly re-install, assemble, and determine if it still needs to be replaced (is it good enough now?). That can lead to sleepless nights too. Wink It's looking damn good though. Cool
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
Yabbadubbadoo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2022 12:08 am    Post subject: Re: Bahama blue '66 Fastback build (Aus) Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:
Yabbadubbadoo wrote:

Surprising how much sweaty work there's still left to do however it does feel good to be working on the re-assembly side of this mountain.

At least you're starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel. Wink Before you were working your way up the mountain, that's the tough part, where all of the hard work begins (clean up of parts, to determine able to rebuild, or replace). Now it's mostly re-install, assemble, and determine if it still needs to be replaced (is it good enough now?). That can lead to sleepless nights too. Wink It's looking damn good though. Cool

You are so right. A lot of parts that I thought were ok when I packed them away all those years ago don't look so great now and need replacing or a mini resto project in themselves. I'm trying to tackle it in bite sized chunks from here so I keep the momentum going.
Yabbadubbadoo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2022 12:33 am    Post subject: Re: Bahama blue '66 Fastback build (Aus) Reply with quote

Took me a bit of detective work but I figured out where the felt needs to go after checking out a wrecked 66 and seeing the glue marks snd residual felt stuck to it.
A B C pillars, top frame between A and C pillars. Leave some room around the edge for glueing the headliner to metal.

Im part way through applying the polyester felt but need some thinner felt or padding for A and B pillars. The stuff I have is about 6mm thick but i reckon it needs to be thinner or softer on the pillars because I dont want it looking like an overstuffed pillow.

Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2022 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Bahama blue '66 Fastback build (Aus) Reply with quote

Yeah, I think the OE stuff was something like 3/16ths or just slightly thinner. It's mainly to hide any holes in the posts, and give a finished look to the entire headliner assembly. I know it's more than an 1/8th inch thick, so maybe it's between the two. I'd think Steve could tell you, since he just went thru all of that on his own Fastback.
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
Yabbadubbadoo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2022 12:40 am    Post subject: Re: Bahama blue '66 Fastback build (Aus) Reply with quote

A little more progress this weekend. Found some thinner wadding felt for the A and B pillar.
I also fitted the sound deadener to the roof and doors. Gonna do the floors after headliner install.

Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2022 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Bahama blue '66 Fastback build (Aus) Reply with quote

Nice. How thick is that stuff?
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
Yabbadubbadoo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2022 1:14 am    Post subject: Re: Bahama blue '66 Fastback build (Aus) Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:
Nice. How thick is that stuff?

0.18" thick. About 5mm.

It's a 3 in 1 product. Heat proof adhesive/butyl rubber vibration damping bonded to fairly strong Alu foil bonded to about 3mm acoustic closed cell foam.
Other products out there are a two step process.
The sound skins eliminate one step by bonding the foam to the foil and butyl rubber.
Yabbadubbadoo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2022 11:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Bahama blue '66 Fastback build (Aus) Reply with quote

Anyone know what's the deal with the TMI headliner kits?
Did US and euro fastbacks have solid vinyl on the C pillar?
All the Australian 66 models had C pillar in perforated vinyl sewn into the headliner.
Seems like they took a shortcut and didnt sew in two of the hardest bits to get right - the C pillars.
😕

notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2022 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: Bahama blue '66 Fastback build (Aus) Reply with quote

No new headliner for the last 30 years that I know of has the same build as the OG one. Meaning they don't add the C pillar parts or the B. That sheet of vinyl they gave you is for you to make the A,B&C. Wink

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
squaretobehip
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2022 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Bahama blue '66 Fastback build (Aus) Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:
No new headliner for the last 30 years that I know of has the same build as the OG one. Meaning they don't add the C pillar parts or the B. That sheet of vinyl they gave you is for you to make the A,B&C. Wink

This.

Follow ISP West on:

Facebook - www.facebook.com/ispwest
Instagram - @ispwest - www.instagram.com/ispwest
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Yabbadubbadoo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2022 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Bahama blue '66 Fastback build (Aus) Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:

Thanks for that.
I was hoping it would be an exact replica cause it would be less work and neater looking final product but I guess 90% correct is pretty normal with repro parts. I might stay away from their carpet kit though. I'm not sure I want to roll the dice on that.
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2022 10:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Bahama blue '66 Fastback build (Aus) Reply with quote

Yabbadubbadoo wrote:
notchboy wrote:

Thanks for that.
I was hoping it would be an exact replica cause it would be less work and neater looking final product but I guess 90% correct is pretty normal with repro parts. I might stay away from their carpet kit though. I'm not sure I want to roll the dice on that.

Carpets are different. Even though they are not cut like the OEM stuff either, its closer and way easy to install.

Its a bug but shows the process.

Link

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Qldelsie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2022 11:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Bahama blue '66 Fastback build (Aus) Reply with quote

Yes, my pillar covers (A,B, & C) are all plain unperforated vinyl and are separate pieces. My roof liner was TMI, and very good.
Re the carpets, if I had my way again, I would have my carpets custom made locally in Aus. We have several very good companies that have the plans for our cars on file, I believe, or at least would measure our cars up if asked. I got the TMI carpets, and as mentioned by someone else, they are a pretty good fit and you can (almost) drop them right in there and drive away. However, IMHO (and I know nothing about carpets) the carpet material is very "commercial" IYKWIM, and where I have had to cut it for seat belt holes etc, it has seemed to "fall apart" a little. I also didn't like the way the TMI carpets have the plastic surround for the rear seat heater hose or the front footwell vent already fitted / bonded into the carpet, but then you have to cut out the correct size of your hole in the centre to suit. It works, but is all just not as good or nice as I would have liked it. I am NOT knocking TMI's carpets - they do precisely what they are meant to do, so are fine. But by the time you have paid freight etc to Australia, especially now with the increased freight rates, I reckon one could get a better custom job done here for about the same or less $$$. Certainly worth checking, especially because for all the love and care you have put into your car - It needs nice carpets !!
Giles
Yabbadubbadoo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2022 2:43 am    Post subject: Re: Bahama blue '66 Fastback build (Aus) Reply with quote

Qldelsie wrote:
Yes, my pillar covers (A,B, & C) are all plain unperforated vinyl and are separate pieces. My roof liner was TMI, and very good.
Re the carpets, if I had my way again, I would have my carpets custom made locally in Aus. We have several very good companies that have the plans for our cars on file, I believe, or at least would measure our cars up if asked. I got the TMI carpets, and as mentioned by someone else, they are a pretty good fit and you can (almost) drop them right in there and drive away. However, IMHO (and I know nothing about carpets) the carpet material is very "commercial" IYKWIM, and where I have had to cut it for seat belt holes etc, it has seemed to "fall apart" a little. I also didn't like the way the TMI carpets have the plastic surround for the rear seat heater hose or the front footwell vent already fitted / bonded into the carpet, but then you have to cut out the correct size of your hole in the centre to suit. It works, but is all just not as good or nice as I would have liked it. I am NOT knocking TMI's carpets - they do precisely what they are meant to do, so are fine. But by the time you have paid freight etc to Australia, especially now with the increased freight rates, I reckon one could get a better custom job done here for about the same or less $$$. Certainly worth checking, especially because for all the love and care you have put into your car - It needs nice carpets !!
Giles

Yeah, i kinda had my heart set on German square weave carpet anyway so custom might be tge wsy to go.

Do you know which upholsterers in AU might have the templates?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25  Next
Jump to:
Page 22 of 25

Jump to: