Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bahama blue '66 Fastback build (Aus)
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24, 25  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2022 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Bahama blue '66 Fastback build (Aus) Reply with quote

This might be a case of contacting Heritage VW in the UK for your German square weave carpet kit. I know they've made others, and probably have the templates to cut and bind the openings.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
Qldelsie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2022 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Bahama blue '66 Fastback build (Aus) Reply with quote

Yabbadubbadoo wrote:

Do you know which upholsterers in AU might have the templates?

There are SO many just around Sydney if you google "Custom Carpets" or similar. Other local car clubs may have recommendations, but I would just start calling around until you find someone who you feel comfortable with.
Freight costs have gone up SO much for us now. I look after a collection of some 50 classic cars, and in most cases parts sourced out of US or EU now have the freight cost higher than the purchase price. Best way to get around it is to buy local, because even if they import the parts themselves, because they bring in full container loads, their transport costs are less. Example, it was cheaper for me to get my Vintage Speed exhaust from Mick Motors locally in Brisbane than it was to buy direct. Draw back was the time delay, But by ordering my exhaust at the beginning of my rebuild meant the exhaust was in stock at Mick's just when I needed it.

The big advantage to buying carpets locally (IMHO) is that you can touch and feel the carpet before you commit.
G
Yabbadubbadoo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2022 9:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Bahama blue '66 Fastback build (Aus) Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:
This might be a case of contacting Heritage VW in the UK for your German square weave carpet kit. I know they've made others, and probably have the templates to cut and bind the openings.

Yeah thats a good idea. Bought from heritage before. Pretty good to deal with. As Qldelsie mentioned, shipping is killer right now so I gotta do my sums.
Yabbadubbadoo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2022 10:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Bahama blue '66 Fastback build (Aus) Reply with quote

Qldelsie wrote:
Yabbadubbadoo wrote:

Do you know which upholsterers in AU might have the templates?

There are SO many just around Sydney if you google "Custom Carpets" or similar. Other local car clubs may have recommendations, but I would just start calling around until you find someone who you feel comfortable with.
Freight costs have gone up SO much for us now. I look after a collection of some 50 classic cars, and in most cases parts sourced out of US or EU now have the freight cost higher than the purchase price. Best way to get around it is to buy local, because even if they import the parts themselves, because they bring in full container loads, their transport costs are less. Example, it was cheaper for me to get my Vintage Speed exhaust from Mick Motors locally in Brisbane than it was to buy direct. Draw back was the time delay, But by ordering my exhaust at the beginning of my rebuild meant the exhaust was in stock at Mick's just when I needed it.

The big advantage to buying carpets locally (IMHO) is that you can touch and feel the carpet before you commit.
G

I hear ya. Prefer local if the service is good and cost dont blow out or they have product in stock but I dont like that open ended feeling of waiting for a shipment to arrive where I cant directly track it. Last time I did that I bought some engine parts locally on a backorder bulk shipment from US. I got dic%ed around so much nearly gave up and bought the parts again from another supplier. Don't want to go through that again if I can help it.
Qldelsie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2022 10:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Bahama blue '66 Fastback build (Aus) Reply with quote

Mick Motors has quite a few of the TMI carpets currently in stock. You could at least get a pricing indication from their web site, compare it to TMI direct (ie with current freight rates), and also will give you a ball park number for when you discuss options with local custom manufacturers.
Just another option.
Giles
Qldelsie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2022 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Bahama blue '66 Fastback build (Aus) Reply with quote

Saw this this morning and thought of you ! Might be worth giving them a call even though there are no acvw carpets standard. https://knoxautocarpets.com.au/
Giles
Qldelsie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2022 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Bahama blue '66 Fastback build (Aus) Reply with quote

Just saw this NSW outfit advertised in Club VW Magazine........ https://www.blackneedle.com.au/
Yabbadubbadoo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2023 4:23 am    Post subject: Re: Bahama blue '66 Fastback build (Aus) Reply with quote

Qldelsie wrote:
Just saw this NSW outfit advertised in Club VW Magazine........ https://www.blackneedle.com.au/

Hey Mate, thanks for the info.
Yabbadubbadoo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2023 4:37 am    Post subject: Re: Bahama blue '66 Fastback build (Aus) Reply with quote

Headliner installation goes into that pile of jobs I never want to do again.
Here's some pics of the first and last time I'm doing a headliner.

Note: TMI did not stitch C pillars on like original. I cut them and attached them with a domestic sewing machine..

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

260KMN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2023 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Bahama blue '66 Fastback build (Aus) Reply with quote

Great job, looks fantastic.
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2023 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Bahama blue '66 Fastback build (Aus) Reply with quote

You did a great job on it. Cool I do know exactly what you mean by never wanting to do it again. Probably why I cut the roof off my 71 Square so I wouldn't have to do it again. Laughing I've done a couple of beetle headliners back when I was younger, but now, I have no desire to do it again. My body doesn't like working upside down, and I'd rather change the grease in a set of CV's instead. Wink
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
Yabbadubbadoo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2023 5:11 am    Post subject: Re: Bahama blue '66 Fastback build (Aus) Reply with quote

Got the last two (Front) pillars finished today. Yeah, even the easiest bits of the whole job sucked. Next job, Dashboard cover.

andybla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2023 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: Bahama blue '66 Fastback build (Aus) Reply with quote

such a nice car Cool
Yabbadubbadoo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Bahama blue '66 Fastback build (Aus) Reply with quote

andybla wrote:
such a nice car Cool

Thanks mate.

Trying to get my dash together and swap out relays and such with 12v items. Also planning to swap in the 12 slot fuse box instead of the 10 slot however i think I might wire it as if it's a 10 slot so that my wiring diagrams stay consistent with the year model and so i can have two spares at 11 and 12 position for electric fuel pump and maybe driving lights or something else.

Right now it looks like tiger country under the dash.
Fitting my original but polished steering column clamp and ignition switch. We had a different steering column housing on the Aussie cars in 66. Looked a bit like early bug style. The column outer tube is a sliding telescopic colapsible design I came up with to complement the collapsible steering shaft I installed from a late model. I polished it and black zinc plated it. Came out pretty shmick. Has an oil slick black finish to it.. i'll take some better pics later when wiring is finished.

Yabbadubbadoo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2023 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Bahama blue '66 Fastback build (Aus) Reply with quote

Some updates. Engine nearly ready. Test fitting for oil lines to remote oil filter.
Setting up electric fuel pump. Got it mounted up on a 3" duamter CB aerial bracket. I used my old beam clamp rubber under the bracket to make it a soft mount. Also fitted regulator and trying to understand the safety aspect. I've got an inertia rollover switch, a tachometric safety relay and an electrically activated anti siphoning valve that reverts to normally closed when ignition is switched off. It also has a manual bypass in case there's a problem with the solenoid. Had to use that due to the fuel pump I used but i can also wire in a kill switch to that valve to prevent theft.
Trying to find a new laminated windscreen in Aus was a mission. I found one in another state. Just have to pick it up from my friend who's holding it for me. In the mean time I'm polishing my old glass with cerium oxide and cleaning aluminium window trims. So mny jobs, so little time.
I also bought this cool little car hoist/scissor jack thingy. Car goes up like a see-saw. It folds up flat making it super convenient for non professional use.

Qldelsie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2023 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Bahama blue '66 Fastback build (Aus) Reply with quote

Looking good !!! I got my laminated windscreen through Instant Windscreens in Old, no dramas, so surprised to hear you had a problem. All my other glass is original, but the windscreen needs to be updated for safety reasons. Had them tint it all (not windscreen) before fitting as much easier and you then avoid those visible "edges".
I think I see that you have a taco from ISP West ? I have had one of theirs for a couple of years and been very happy with it. However originally I had it earthed to a "shared" earth, and the tacho would "cycle" occasionally (like it had momentarily lost power.) I tried temporarily direct wiring it to the battery, and a temporarily direct line from the coil, which didn't help, but finally put it to a dedicated earth and it seems to have fixed the problem. Hmmm. Hate electrics !!!
Like that scissor jack - Who did you get it from ?
Giles
Yabbadubbadoo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2023 9:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Bahama blue '66 Fastback build (Aus) Reply with quote

Qldelsie wrote:
Looking good !!! I got my laminated windscreen through Instant Windscreens in Old, no dramas, so surprised to hear you had a problem. All my other glass is original, but the windscreen needs to be updated for safety reasons. Had them tint it all (not windscreen) before fitting as much easier and you then avoid those visible "edges".
I think I see that you have a taco from ISP West ? I have had one of theirs for a couple of years and been very happy with it. However originally I had it earthed to a "shared" earth, and the tacho would "cycle" occasionally (like it had momentarily lost power.) I tried temporarily direct wiring it to the battery, and a temporarily direct line from the coil, which didn't help, but finally put it to a dedicated earth and it seems to have fixed the problem. Hmmm. Hate electrics !!!
Like that scissor jack - Who did you get it from ?
Giles

There is no stock of Laminated screens in Sydney but there was one in Brisbane. It has the tinted blue top strip. I think it might look kinda cool against the Bahama blue paint. I just gotta find a way to get it to Sydney. My friend is storing it for the time being and if all else fails he'll bring it to Sydney in July but I'm hoping to get it before that. Transport companies wont touch it.

The scissor hoist is from Hero hoists but I got it used with the wheel cribs and high torque drill included.

The tacho is my own design. I used a 90's vintage 7krpm vdo tacho and calibrated it to 8k rpm. I've heard the modern electronic ones can have issues with interference. I grafted it into a type 3 guage housing and used some parts from the clock to have a red needle rev limit target. I printed a sticker that looks like the orginal font. It was a fiddly job but looks pretty good. I included some build pics of the tacho a little while back on page 21 of this build thread.
NUG637
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2023 4:14 am    Post subject: Re: Bahama blue '66 Fastback build (Aus) Reply with quote

Solid effort throughout the entire build mate Cool looks great!
Yabbadubbadoo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2023 6:08 am    Post subject: Re: Bahama blue '66 Fastback build (Aus) Reply with quote

NUG637 wrote:
Solid effort throughout the entire build mate Cool looks great!

Cheers mate.👍
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2023 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Bahama blue '66 Fastback build (Aus) Reply with quote

It's looking damn good. The details are incredible. It makes you wonder how VW could build these cars as cheaply as they did, when it takes so many man hours just to go thru one. Keep the pics coming, as it's coming along nicely. Cool
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24, 25  Next
Jump to:
Page 23 of 25

Jump to: