Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My first clutch job on a Vanagon. Not as bad as I thought.
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
peaceful warrior
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 3:40 pm    Post subject: My first clutch job on a Vanagon. Not as bad as I thought. Reply with quote

Pulled the transmission on my 89 Westfalia to do my first clutch job. I had been dreading this job for quite some time, but it was not bad at all.
So, I have a new Sachs PP, disk and TO bearing, took the flywheel in and had it turned at a machine shop to specs. Purchased new boots for the axles and a new boot for the shift rod.
Cleaned up the bell housing today as it was full of black dust and then gave the whole transmission a bath. Cleaned the engine behind the flywheel of the same black dust and I am now ready to put it all back together tomorrow.
Woohoo!
Old TO bearing.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Transmission is clean and dirt free for now. Wink

One last wipe with a cloth and mineral spirits and the new TO is installed.

66 13W Deluxe, 68 Westfalia, 87 Syncro.
TOOB Member #15
Brian
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Gruppe B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice job!

Are you going to replace the pilot bearing as well?

My clutch is fine but occasionally experience not being able to shift into first or second from a stop as if the pilot bearing is damaged.

Once I tear it apart I'll be better able to see what is going on
peaceful warrior
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gruppe B wrote:
Nice job!

Are you going to replace the pilot bearing as well?

My clutch is fine but occasionally experience not being able to shift into first or second from a stop as if the pilot bearing is damaged.

Once I tear it apart I'll be better able to see what is going on

Yes, new pilot bearing going in if needed. Otherwise I will just lube it up.
TOOB Member #15
Brian
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
IrideWheelies
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pilot bearing and felt seal are only like $5. You should definitely replace it. I just had to pull my syncro trans out to replace mine because I was too lazy to do it when I had the trans out three months ago.

Dont forget the felt seal!

You might as well throw a rear main seal in too, since you're in there anyway.
peaceful warrior
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IrideWheelies wrote:
The pilot bearing and felt seal are only like $5. You should definitely replace it. I just had to pull my syncro trans out to replace mine because I was too lazy to do it when I had the trans out three months ago.

Dont forget the felt seal!

You might as well throw a rear main seal in too, since you're in there anyway.

The trans had been rebuilt along with the engine by the previous owner. They only had 3000 mile on them when I bought and the clutch began slipping almost immediately. The main seal is fine, no oil leaking. I will check the pilot bearing as I said. Thank you.
TOOB Member #15
Brian
stubear334
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finished my newbie clutch job last year. To do it all over again, I would pull the engine out. Because replacing all the hoses, oil switches, belts, exhaust parts were a gargantuan pain in situ.

Stu
peaceful warrior
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stubear334 wrote:
I finished my newbie clutch job last year. To do it all over again, I would pull the engine out. Because replacing all the hoses, oil switches, belts, exhaust parts were a gargantuan pain in situ.

Stu

I hear that, but in this case, I had already done all of the engine work early last year. I was preparing for a trip, when the clutch began to slip...bummer!

What had happened with this Vanagon was the shop that installed the engine and transmission, installed a new clutch, PP and TO but did not machine the flywheel. I called them to find out as I did not see it on the work invoice. They looked it up and told me, "we are embarrassed to admit, but we overlooked that".
TOOB Member #15
Brian
peaceful warrior
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, a bit bummed and definitely a bit poorer. I pulled the axles on the Westy, to clean, repack and replace the boots on the CV joints. I did the inner CV's first, took them apart and cleaned them. I found them to be clean, un-scarred, so I put them back together and bagged them to repack with grease.
With input from Chris (tencentlife) I pulled the axles and took apart the outer CV joints. Oh shit!, glad I did. After a good cleaning, I found they were scarred, scorched and in bad shape.
4 new Lobros on their way from Van Cafe and a few more down days to boot!
What an experience of learning and seeing what can happen to CV joints if not taken care of......even the grease on the outers was dry.... Laughing Laughing
TOOB Member #15
Brian
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: