Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Aftermarket Ragtop
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
RedWine65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Aftermarket Ragtop Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

RedWine65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Aftermarket Ragtop Reply with quote

Major thanks to everyone here who also posted their install processes. Also those who started and kept this thread going. It really helped me get the correct mindset and know-how to get this project started.
RedWine65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Aftermarket Ragtop Reply with quote

bruceo98 wrote:
I know this is an old post but was wondering if you could put a roof rack on and still use the ragtop? Or is there enough clearance ? Thanks

I have an empi roof rack and yes there is enough clearance for the ragtop.
RedWine65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Aftermarket Ragtop Reply with quote

Not a bad weekend project. The key is to measure and measure and measure some more. Another tip would be to cut well outside the line you trace within the frame.

Spud Bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Aftermarket Ragtop Reply with quote

Has anyone installed one of these kits on a VW that had a factory hardtop "crank style" sunroof/moonroof. I am wondering if I have enough room from the front windshield to the front edge of the ragtop frame. I am unaware if there is any extra metal that creates an installation issue? Any help is appreciated.
99tmsmith
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2022 8:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Aftermarket Ragtop Reply with quote

Did you ever try or find out if it would work with the factory metal sunroof? I’m same boat
Spud Bug wrote:
Has anyone installed one of these kits on a VW that had a factory hardtop "crank style" sunroof/moonroof. I am wondering if I have enough room from the front windshield to the front edge of the ragtop frame. I am unaware if there is any extra metal that creates an installation issue? Any help is appreciated.
ragtopbr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2022 12:32 am    Post subject: Re: Aftermarket Ragtop Reply with quote

99tmsmith wrote:
Did you ever try or find out if it would work with the factory metal sunroof? I’m same boat
Spud Bug wrote:

Hi there. I am the official account of Ragtop company in Brazil and we are happy to answer any questions you guys may have!

Can you please confirm you would like to replace the hardtop similar to the photo attached here?
sportin-wood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2022 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: Aftermarket Ragtop Reply with quote

ragtopbr wrote:

Hi there. I am the official account of Ragtop company in Brazil and we are happy to answer any questions you guys may have!

Do you have a website with prices and what colors/options are available?

I'm very interested in purchasing an aftermarket ragtop kit for my '66 project beetle, but also would like to know if detailed installation instructions are included?
"Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman. He's got this ultimate set of tools. I can fix it." --- Jeff Spicoli
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NJ John
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Aftermarket Ragtop Reply with quote

I just noticed the manufacturer has samba ads.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2258169
https://www.youtube.com/@AirSpooledGarage
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
essjayarr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Aftermarket Ragtop Reply with quote

Has anyone put one of these on a curved window Superbeetle?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
v8nate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Aftermarket Ragtop Reply with quote

Just a few months shy of 4 years of service and my sliding rag is still doing great, granted it's garaged which surely helps keep it in good shape but I'm not afraid of leaving it in the rain or snow while I'm at work
stizz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2022 5:15 am    Post subject: Re: Aftermarket Ragtop Reply with quote

Hey people just share information on my install of the Britax rag top kit on my 1966 bug.
The Britax folks at I communicated through WhatsApp and the responsiveness was great when I had any questions, these kits are made to order and take about a month. (Nice quality)
Shipping is quick but , packaging needs to be beefed up and my boxes came beat up and open by Fedex and customs.

Wanted to also thank v8nate (it was fun) and longhair3451 for their help and everyone else who posted on this page.

I started by getting my center point (my Aussie visor helped and how far back to measure from windshield rubber manufacture, state s 7 inches and v8Nate did 8.75. Which lines up nice with his sun visors , but I decided to go 7.5 back from windshield. Then drill a self tap on one corner and measure, measure, measure and measure some more!!!!!

I cut outside of the line of the frame and after I cut it I placed the frame on the roof opening and marked with a sharpie any edges, I need a trim.

When you drill out the holes, especially the rear five ones make sure you drill them large going forward to the rear aluminum frame. That way the canvas top has enough room to latch. I had a little bit of trouble latching and once I rewatch the video looked at where they did their holes I was able to latch it , after watching the video again.
It seems like there is play as long as you cut opening up to the drilled holes. I still have some adjustments to do overall it’s a really nice kit made out of polished aluminum rails so looks great opened !

Prior to install the canvas top to the headliner It seems like the right side of the canvas top has a little bit more play actually looser from the headliner to the canvas roof. If that makes sense the left side is much tighter. I do see adjustment screws but haven’t dove in that far. Not sure if anyone else has had same problem please let me know. But so far only issue .

And no can’t open rag with rack.

[img]ht

but like I said I noticed this with canvas laying on the bench prior to being installed so it’s not the frame or cut.

I was luckily enough to have some help fun project (wife , kids and brother in law who stopped by to say hi ending up staying and enjoying this project!
just take your time ! Have fun and it’s a game changer! Like everyone says

sportin-wood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2022 7:02 am    Post subject: Re: Aftermarket Ragtop Reply with quote

Looks great! Thanks for the tips. Seriously considering getting one, once I get my project back in gear...
"Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman. He's got this ultimate set of tools. I can fix it." --- Jeff Spicoli
v8nate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: Aftermarket Ragtop Reply with quote

Great job Stizz! Sportin Wood you won't be disappointed:)
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Aftermarket Ragtop Reply with quote

sportin-wood wrote:
Seriously considering getting one, once I get my project back in gear...

If you have welding skills, and can drop the coin, you may want to look at these too. Even though Grumpy's is in L.A., John is actually based in Texas, and I believe that's where the kits are made. This is as close to factory fit and quality as you can get.
It comes with the roof sheetmetal, a template, etc. They also make the earlier 3-fold.
https://grumpysmetal.com/1956-1963-2-fold-beetle-sunroof-conversion-kit-1.html
bonzai272
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2023 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: Aftermarket Ragtop Reply with quote

Glad I found this thread. Im trying to get one for my Brasilia and give it a go. In looking at their social media, it seems they do indeed have a kit for the Brasilia model.
enviousVWs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2023 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Aftermarket Ragtop Reply with quote

I recently did a install using this same Brazilian ragtop.. check it out:

Link

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Y5Sfc5JNNQ
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Classifieds Feedback
Cjschriver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2023 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Aftermarket Ragtop Reply with quote

I did it too ! Very Happy

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11
Jump to:
Page 11 of 11

Jump to: