Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Beetle 1300cc (Historic Touring Car Racing)
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
hrsr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My next race is the Oulton Park Gold Cup on Monday 25th August.

I'll be on track three times, one qualifying session and two races. Its one of the greatest tracks in UK racing and there are 34 Historic Touring Cars entered....Its gonna be a goody, so keep a look out for the onboard movies coming soon after!

Entry list (pre 1966 Touring Cars):
Ford Mustangs (x2)
Ford Galaxie
Ford 'Lotus' Cortinas (x10)
Ford Anglias (x2)
Alfa Giulia Sprints (x3)
BMW 1800
Mini Coopers (x6)
Hillman Imps (x4)
Triumph 2000
Volvo 122 Amazon
Austin A40
Standard Vanguard
VW Beetle
henry roberts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good luck and I hope you have an awesome time.

how does the amazon fare normally? my dirty little secret is I love them and have a 64 4 door... I wanted a 2 door but they are less common over here.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hrsr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

henry roberts wrote:
how does the amazon fare normally? my dirty little secret is I love them and have a 64 4 door... I wanted a 2 door but they are less common over here.

This is the first time this Volvo's raced with us, so I'm not sure how quick it is. It's a 2 door and built to Appendix K rules (same as Appendix J or Group N in Australia) so only period tuning allowed (for example SU carbs not Webers) and it has to be the factory weight and use drum brakes.

Half the cars on the grid will be Appendix K and run in the K classes where as my Beetle runs in the HRSR classes which allow a lot more modifications.

Out of the 34 cars on the grid (on previous form) my Beetle should be quicker than 10 or 11 of them hopefully.
hrsr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well here's the movie of the Oulton Park Gold Cup Historic Touring Car Race's 1 and 2...Didn't quite go to plan as the weather was rubbish and an oil line let go in race 2, but the car survived to fight another day. Pray

Link
Jens-Ole
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is really amazing! good job on the car and the racing Cool

But could you tell me if you are running a stock chankshaft or are you allowed to use a counterweight?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
hrsr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jens-Ole wrote:
This is really amazing! good job on the car and the racing Cool

But could you tell me if you are running a stock chankshaft or are you allowed to use a counterweight?

Yes a counterweight crank is allowed...and needed as i'm shifting at 7500-8000rpm. The engine rules say you must use a magnesium case and VW heads, the engine can be enlarged (but only up to 1300cc) and you must use carbs.
hrsr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

New onboard footage from Brands Hatch. I had fanbelt issues which ended my race. The car spends its whole life between 6000 and 8000rpm so I may look at installing smaller pulleys in the future so the fan/alternator run at a sensible speed.

Link
AirCooledClassics
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brilliant, I love the performance your pulling out of that engine. Makes me want to move to GB. We have nothing like this in western Canada.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJoq3MtsPmc

My National Dragster article
http://www.dragracecentral.com/DRCStory.asp?ID=231552
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hrsr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thought i'd have a bit of fun and race some GT and sports cars for a change...

Link
henry roberts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for posting, I'm jelous again. Very Happy i cannot imagine how frustrating the dnf's must be getting. at least they aren't from ($$$) catastrophic failures.

your car is so good off the line. it is impressive watching it stick with the 911 and 924 through the corners. do the sports cars run the same tyres? btw damn those 2 black sports cars are quick, what are they?
hrsr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

henry roberts wrote:
thanks for posting, I'm jelous again. Very Happy i cannot imagine how frustrating the dnf's must be getting. at least they aren't from ($$$) catastrophic failures.

your car is so good off the line. it is impressive watching it stick with the 911 and 924 through the corners. do the sports cars run the same tyres? btw damn those 2 black sports cars are quick, what are they?

Fanbelts and throttle cables have been the story of my year...$2 parts!! This throttle cable I fitted 2 races ago (purely to stop any throttle cable problems!!)

Most of the cars out there were Roadsports Cars (Porsche 911, 924, MG's, Capri's) which run on road legal semi slicks, the rest of us had skinny historic crossplys. The fast black cars are Chevrons which sound and go like V8s but they are actually powered by 2 litre 4 cylinder engines from a 1965 BMW 2002 saloon car.
DannyT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2016 5:28 am    Post subject: Re: Beetle 1300cc (Historic Touring Car Racing) Reply with quote

This is too cool, wish we have this in Norway.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: