Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Saga of my 1.8T Vanagon
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pssst there's no immobilizer on a AEB 1.8T Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

davevickery wrote:
People with the AEB (or other 150hp models) should consider the APR chip. I did a 1300 mile trip to Moab and back and it is a joy to drive with the extra power.

No need to downshift on steep highway grades. There is really no place you have to downshift to get enough climbing power. It runs up Eisenhower and Vail Pass in 4th gear at any speed you want. It can accelerate in 4th if you get slowed down momentarily behind a truck or something. That is with a moderately loaded westy and 1" bigger tires. Here in CO, I wouldn't want to go with a bigger tire and loose that. It is just so nice to cruise up in 4th at 65mph and 3600rpm. Before the chip, I was between 3rd and 4th and had to downshift at the steepest parts to get the rpms back up. Then in 4th I would have to keep it floored. I'm not particularly into power, but it is just so much more pleasant to drive without worrying about downshifting. I didn't mind the higher rpms with the subaru 2.5, it seemed to get smoother and quieter the higher you went past 4K rpm. This engine just seems more comfortable at 4K and under. Could be just mine, but it is nice to have the option to keep the rpms down going up the passes. And passing people whenever you want or when you don't have a lot of room is nice too. I thought the 150hp was fine, but this is really much better suited to the van.

And my gas mileage is better. The highest I got before on highway driving at 65-70 was 22.5 and averaged 21 to 21.5 on trips. With the chip, I got 25.4 on the highway drive out, and averaged 23.25 MPG over the 1300 mile trip.

These are the same results I have been enjoying with mine as well. You sure made a nice van out of the giant hookah you started with.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
greebly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:
Pssst there's no immobilizer on a AEB 1.8T Wink

Right, I did not bother to re-read the entire thread. The AEB ECU is primitive compared to 2001 VW models and later. The 2000 model ECU is somewhere between the 2.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

why the change of heart?
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1704045

Quote:
1991 Vanagon Camper 1.8T Price: 14500
Rare chance to get a 1.8T conversion. Great van. Lots of recent maintenance. 152K, 4 speed manual, PS, PB, manual windows, No AC. Van accelerates, shifts, stops and corners without any weird noises or vibrations. Perfect computer controlled idle. All fluids recently flushed and all tune up items done. No leaks or mechanical issues. Good all-season tires on factory alloy wheels.

Please note: this version of the 1.8T (AEB) is not California CARB approved.

CAMPER DETAILS – Layout is similar to a weekender but with some nice upgrades:
• Awning
• Built in (hot) Shower
• Truckfridge TF-65 (the bigger one), and dual deep cycle batteries – 200 AH
• Eurovan front seats, passenger seat fully reclines and swivels
• Upper and lower beds
• Not a stock Westy but a nice conversion with a Westfalia poptop
• New 3 window canvas and seals
• Privacy curtains all around
• LED lighting throughout
• New Bluetooth Alpine stereo and front speakers
• 2” receiver hitch for bike rack

MECHANICAL
• New timing belt, water pump and seals
• Complete exhaust system (Including Cat & O2 Sensor)
• APR Stage 1 Chip – significant HP & Torque increase
• Kennedy adapter plate and heavy duty clutch
• Great heat – New F&R blower motors and heater cores
• Awesome brakes - Complete front and rear rebuild
• Lift springs - More clearance and firmer ride
• New German air flow meter
• New gas tank seals
• New transmission seals
• Big folder of receipts
•Spare turbo charger, alternator and PS pump

Those are just some of the more expensive updates, that's at least $10K worth of work between the camper conversion and the mechanical work. And there is more; new gas tank seals, window seals, fiberglass bumpers and power mirrors, new OEM antenna, slave cylinder, new windshield, stone guards, intake hoses, K&N air filter, synthetic trans fluid, ball joints, motor mounts, oil cooler seal, in dash gauges for oil pressure, boost, voltage and coolant temp, new throttle cable, temp sensor, battery and ground cables, sound proofing, fan switch, adjusted a bunch of little things, swapped in some better used parts like nice sliding door interior panel, horn, front shocks, quiet fuel pump, hatch shocks, poptop shocks, turbo waste gate, and probably more I'm forgetting.

The engine uses a raised deck lid but the lower bed lays flat with thicker seat cushions. The upper bunk’s mattress stores flat behind the rear seat when not camping. That is a trade off of not doing a full Westfalia conversion. If you don’t sleep in the upper bunk, you can use the mattress as a topper or leave it at home. Anyway, you can always redo something if you don’t like the layout.

There are some minor cosmetic issues; a handful of dings, paint chips, and hairline cracks at the seams. The van was repainted 4-5 years ago and the seams in the right rear were not prepped that well (filler in the seams), and the tailgate had a dent that wasn’t straightened perfectly before painting. I would say it was an average paint job, not bad, not great. But overall it looks very good and the paint shines like new. It has some hail dings, but they are not very noticeable. I decided to take the insurance settlement and lower the price rather than fix it.

There are a few things I would do if I was keeping the van. The inner tie rods have some play, you don’t notice anything driving it but they told me that when I went to get it aligned. The sliding door window could use new felt seals. The idiot light for coolant level and temp is not working. I think it worked at one point. The in-dash gauges work great, but the idiot light get your attention quicker and it would be nice to have both. I would install a GW cruise control kit. The AC has been disabled. I would probably just remove it. It would take some serious work to get it going. When I put in the pergo flooring, I didn’t insulate under it. I would redo that and add some fat mat type stuff and change out the pergo for Bamboo. I could also see moving the batteries back to the stock locations from under the bench seat to free up more of that space.

Keep in mind, this isn't a $30K van that I'm selling for half price. It is a nice van and is definitely priced to sell but you have to accept some compromises. First, it isn't a stock westy. It is hard to match the workmanship of an OEM Westfalia conversion. But the good news is you can redo anything you don't like and the conversion is by no means a hack job.

This one is an older engine conversion and not done to the same standard as the new kits. Don't get me wrong, everything works. And it runs like a bat out of hell. It has 50K miles on the conversion and about 100K on the engine. It doesn't leak anything anywhere. But it isn't as neat looking as newer conversions and it doesn't have the same polished professional install look. And getting familiar with a conversion you didn't will take some time.

Hopefully you recognize this is a rare chance to buy a 1.8T vanagon at a reasonable price. You probably won't ever see a 91 camper conversion with a 1.8T in this condition at this price ever again. So if you are not sure what you want please don’t waste my time. Otherwise feel free to email, text or call for more details. I can work with an out of state buyer if necessary (hold the van, airport pickup, etc). Thanks Dave

Again, this version of the 1.8T (AEB) is not California CARB approved.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:
why the change of heart?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
davevickery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glutton for punishment. I'm getting to do it all over again.

ThankYouJerry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:
why the change of heart?
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1704045

Quote:
1991 Vanagon Camper 1.8T Price: 14500
Rare chance to get a 1.8T conversion. Great van. Lots of recent maintenance. 152K, 4 speed manual, PS, PB, manual windows, No AC. Van accelerates, shifts, stops and corners without any weird noises or vibrations. Perfect computer controlled idle. All fluids recently flushed and all tune up items done. No leaks or mechanical issues. Good all-season tires on factory alloy wheels.

Please note: this version of the 1.8T (AEB) is not California CARB approved.

CAMPER DETAILS – Layout is similar to a weekender but with some nice upgrades:
• Awning
• Built in (hot) Shower
• Truckfridge TF-65 (the bigger one), and dual deep cycle batteries – 200 AH
• Eurovan front seats, passenger seat fully reclines and swivels
• Upper and lower beds
• Not a stock Westy but a nice conversion with a Westfalia poptop
• New 3 window canvas and seals
• Privacy curtains all around
• LED lighting throughout
• New Bluetooth Alpine stereo and front speakers
• 2” receiver hitch for bike rack

MECHANICAL
• New timing belt, water pump and seals
• Complete exhaust system (Including Cat & O2 Sensor)
• APR Stage 1 Chip – significant HP & Torque increase
• Kennedy adapter plate and heavy duty clutch
• Great heat – New F&R blower motors and heater cores
• Awesome brakes - Complete front and rear rebuild
• Lift springs - More clearance and firmer ride
• New German air flow meter
• New gas tank seals
• New transmission seals
• Big folder of receipts
•Spare turbo charger, alternator and PS pump

Those are just some of the more expensive updates, that's at least $10K worth of work between the camper conversion and the mechanical work. And there is more; new gas tank seals, window seals, fiberglass bumpers and power mirrors, new OEM antenna, slave cylinder, new windshield, stone guards, intake hoses, K&N air filter, synthetic trans fluid, ball joints, motor mounts, oil cooler seal, in dash gauges for oil pressure, boost, voltage and coolant temp, new throttle cable, temp sensor, battery and ground cables, sound proofing, fan switch, adjusted a bunch of little things, swapped in some better used parts like nice sliding door interior panel, horn, front shocks, quiet fuel pump, hatch shocks, poptop shocks, turbo waste gate, and probably more I'm forgetting.

The engine uses a raised deck lid but the lower bed lays flat with thicker seat cushions. The upper bunk’s mattress stores flat behind the rear seat when not camping. That is a trade off of not doing a full Westfalia conversion. If you don’t sleep in the upper bunk, you can use the mattress as a topper or leave it at home. Anyway, you can always redo something if you don’t like the layout.

There are some minor cosmetic issues; a handful of dings, paint chips, and hairline cracks at the seams. The van was repainted 4-5 years ago and the seams in the right rear were not prepped that well (filler in the seams), and the tailgate had a dent that wasn’t straightened perfectly before painting. I would say it was an average paint job, not bad, not great. But overall it looks very good and the paint shines like new. It has some hail dings, but they are not very noticeable. I decided to take the insurance settlement and lower the price rather than fix it.

There are a few things I would do if I was keeping the van. The inner tie rods have some play, you don’t notice anything driving it but they told me that when I went to get it aligned. The sliding door window could use new felt seals. The idiot light for coolant level and temp is not working. I think it worked at one point. The in-dash gauges work great, but the idiot light get your attention quicker and it would be nice to have both. I would install a GW cruise control kit. The AC has been disabled. I would probably just remove it. It would take some serious work to get it going. When I put in the pergo flooring, I didn’t insulate under it. I would redo that and add some fat mat type stuff and change out the pergo for Bamboo. I could also see moving the batteries back to the stock locations from under the bench seat to free up more of that space.

Keep in mind, this isn't a $30K van that I'm selling for half price. It is a nice van and is definitely priced to sell but you have to accept some compromises. First, it isn't a stock westy. It is hard to match the workmanship of an OEM Westfalia conversion. But the good news is you can redo anything you don't like and the conversion is by no means a hack job.

This one is an older engine conversion and not done to the same standard as the new kits. Don't get me wrong, everything works. And it runs like a bat out of hell. It has 50K miles on the conversion and about 100K on the engine. It doesn't leak anything anywhere. But it isn't as neat looking as newer conversions and it doesn't have the same polished professional install look. And getting familiar with a conversion you didn't will take some time.

Hopefully you recognize this is a rare chance to buy a 1.8T vanagon at a reasonable price. You probably won't ever see a 91 camper conversion with a 1.8T in this condition at this price ever again. So if you are not sure what you want please don’t waste my time. Otherwise feel free to email, text or call for more details. I can work with an out of state buyer if necessary (hold the van, airport pickup, etc). Thanks Dave

Again, this version of the 1.8T (AEB) is not California CARB approved.

Wow! An honest van at a beyond honest price. Never seen such a value on The Samba. Going, going, gone! Can't wait to see your Syncro 1.8T Dave. Best of luck!
Blitz101
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:17 pm    Post subject: Pics from the begining Reply with quote

[img]

[/img]
davevickery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very cool, nice tho see some pics of it when it was the conversion was just done.
Blitz101
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Done by a buddy of mine in Bend, OR. Sorry to see it turned into Horrido. You have done a nice job Dave on bringing it back from the...... whatever it was. Very Happy
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: