Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Saga of my 1.8T Vanagon
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
davevickery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 6:03 pm    Post subject: The Saga of my 1.8T Vanagon Reply with quote

A big day today after a year and half of slow but steady progress on this van's comeback, I passed my emissions test. Wahoo. The van has been off the road now for 4 or 5 years and the emissions numbers were 1/5th of the limits. And that is without a cat.

Some of you who follow the classifieds will recall that no one wanted to buy my van in its project state. And a few of you may even remember when the previous nimrod tried to sell it for a couple years, before I came along and make a drunken bid on ebay.

Here is one of the before pictures so you all can appreciate the level of mistreatment this van receieved while in this guy's hands.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Fortunately it isn't all bad. Here is the exterior a few years back and I figured when I bought it I could redo the interior and remove that dreaded sunroof and put on a poptop.

The last year I spent what spare time I had on the cosmetic stuff because trouble shooting turbo engines and cleaning up old wiring isn't my strong suit.

I finally got around to the engine and replaced old intake hoses, and fixed leaks, some hoses didn't have hose clamps on them and others were cracked. I figured out from this that unmetered air getting into a turbo engine really creates a lot of issues. I changed the oil, plugs and the thing runs like a scalded cat.

Some of you will appreciate frustration of fixing someone else's dumb stuff. And the pain of realizing you got into something you should have run from. Finally a year and a half later and I am not kicking myself for buying this van. The 1.8T will throw you back in your seat and has a ton of low end torque. It is very fun to drive.

So I thought I would do up this post to show the come back of this van. I have million little things still to fix, but I am relieved not to have an unregistered vehicle sitting in my HOA controlled neighborhood anymore.

Dave

Last edited by davevickery on Tue May 28, 2013 9:19 am; edited 1 time in total
TequilaSunSet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy fucking Dr Octopus, I could never be that drunk to to buy a van that looked like that... were those tubes from the Blue Man Group? Razz

All razzing aside... glad to hear you giving some respect back to your Vanagon... keeps us updated.
1967 Bug- Gone
1964 Euro Sunroof Bug- Gone
1969/72/63 Sunroof Bug- Gone
1975 Brazilian Bug in the Philippines 🇵🇭- New to me
chazz79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was it used in a fast and furious movie?

The green monster in bits and peices: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=332556&highlight=green+monster
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OMG, epic cluster-frogging. Clearly a genius in his element

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
greenbrier62
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 10:26 pm    Post subject: Hoses Reply with quote

Uh....what are the hoses for?
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I imagine the hoses were an attempt to direct the A/C up to the front in place of the center duct that was removed for the sunroof.
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andrew A. Libby wrote:
I imagine the hoses were an attempt to direct the A/C up to the front in place of the center duct that was removed for the sunroof.

Something to do with the AC was my first thought.

Or an attempt at a communications system. Wink

I jest. I've had worse ideas I'm sure!

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
D Clymer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, the infamous Horrido Beetle (Previous owner's user name on VWVortex) 1.8T Vanagon. I always wondered what happened to that van. Aside from all the strange touches, it looks like it has a lot of potential. I'm glad to see you're putting some work into it. Do you have any shots of the engine conversion? If memory serves, I think that was a really early Stephan's Autohaus conversion.

D
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
shadetreetim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That awesome display of technical genius has left me speechless.

What the... Who the... Confused

Doing my best every time I drive it to dispel the myth these Vanagons have to be slow!

'89 Vanagon Bluestar/Country Homes 1.8T & .77 4th
'74 Jeep CJ5
ietalon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 7:36 am    Post subject: Getting ready Reply with quote

shadetreetim wrote:
That awesome display of technical genius has left me speechless.

What the... Who the... Confused

Maybe he's getting ready to go for Cali smog test?
Tim
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tangojeff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 7:57 am    Post subject: Hoses! We don't need no Stinking Hoses! Reply with quote

Maybe those hoses were an attempt at a communal bong? Actually, I once saw a We$ty with a cool plenum system to extend the rear A/C past the kitchen and to the front headrests. The owner used Raingo vinyl square downspout material and some couplings. This product comes in brown or white.
davevickery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

D Clymer wrote:
Ah, the infamous Horrido Beetle (Previous owner's user name on VWVortex) 1.8T Vanagon. I always wondered what happened to that van. D

I knew someone would recognize it. Very Happy

Stephan didn't do the conversion but the guy who did (around 12 years ago) must have been a pretty good mechanic aside from a couple things I don't like, the exhaust hanging way out the back for example, but then again that may have been the last owner/nimrod extraordinaire.

I believe the hoses were part of the very rare and desirable swimming pool comfort group which also included 100's of fish hook hangers. I stuck myself with rusty fish hooks several times untangling that mess.

This was the mount that the converter made. Looks like good work and solid welding. I'll probably pull and repaint the cross bar, and replace the rubber mounts.

Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a stout looking crossbar. How is the engine vibration with those stock WBX rubber mounts?

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
davevickery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The cross bar only uses the 2 outer vanagon mounts but seems fine. When it was running rough I could feel a bit of vibration but it idles very smoothly now, so I don't feel anything and once you are moving you don't feel anything out of the ordinary. The rubber mounts are beat and dry rotted so they need replacing.

Here is one of my clean up photos. I do like the rubber mats up front but I put down pergo and carpet in the back. The front seats had already been swapped for GL seats which are better than those cheap tweed seats.

davevickery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few more things getting done.

Ordered a new exhaust system for the van. Having no cat and an open performance muffler and a leaking downpipe gasket made the van way too noisy for me. I drove one of Stephan's conversions and I liked how quiet it was. I went online and ordered something that looks like it will fit and is supposed to be quiet. I'll have a shop bend and weld the tubing. Hopefully I picked a good muffler. I got a Walker Quiet Flow III in a 6" diameter x 28" long with 2.5" inlet/outlets and a magnaflow generic cat made for a 6.0 liter truck and a flex coupling. I recall with a subie conversion I went through a few different mufflers before I was happy. I just want quiet, I'm sure I'll lose some power, but I really don't care as long as it isn't too much and it still runs smoothly. The current exhaust is ugly anyway, I want it tucked up a little better.

After that I need to get the temp gauge working. I'm thinking an aftermarket gauge might be easiest or figure out how to connect something to the stock cluster gauge that will work.
Dave

And the new exhaust looking good and sounding a lot better, and DEI Titanium exhaust wrap, to quiet it down a bit more and hopefully keep the engine compartment temps down. Next up adding some heat shields and maybe a scoop to funnel air past the turbo and downpipe.

Last edited by davevickery on Sat Jun 29, 2013 11:12 am; edited 1 time in total
purplepeopleeater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ohhh, hehehe...I remember that off the vortex.

glad its in your hands now.

FYI, I have had that same muffler...its fairly quiet.
dredward
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D Clymer wrote:
Ah, the infamous Horrido Beetle (Previous owner's user name on VWVortex) 1.8T Vanagon. I always wondered what happened to that van. Aside from all the strange touches, it looks like it has a lot of potential. I'm glad to see you're putting some work into it. Do you have any shots of the engine conversion? If memory serves, I think that was a really early Stephan's Autohaus conversion.

D

Yer memory doesn't serve friend. Stephan had nothing to do with this. His workmanship is top notch.
Cars owned: 1979/89 scirraco, 1983 gti, 1984 gti, 1986 gti, 1990 gli, 1989 cabriolet(2.0,16v conversion), 1992 gti, 1982 Westy, 1987 syncro Westy(w/ 1.8t conversion stg1 chip), and finally 2004 r32....
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

davevickery wrote:
A few more things getting done.

Ordered a new exhaust system for the van. Having no cat and an open performance muffler and a leaking downpipe gasket made the van way too noisy for me. I drove one of Stephan's conversions and I liked how quiet it was. I went online and ordered something that looks like it will fit and is supposed to be quiet. I'll have a shop bend and weld the tubing. Hopefully I picked a good muffler. I got a Walker Quiet Flow III in a 6" diameter x 28" long with 2.5" inlet/outlets and a magnaflow generic cat made for a 6.0 liter truck and a flex coupling. I recall with a subie conversion I went through a few different mufflers before I was happy. I just want quiet, I'm sure I'll lose some power, but I really don't care as long as it isn't too much and it still runs smoothly. The current exhaust is ugly anyway, I want it tucked up a little better.

After that I need to get the temp gauge working. I'm thinking an aftermarket gauge might be easiest or figure out how to connect something to the stock cluster gauge that will work.
Dave

You can use the stock 2.1 2wd van gauge temp sensor. If you look back at my 50° 1.8t thread I explain it there.
davevickery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Making some satisfying progress on this restoration. Installed a new 3 window poptop canvas. This is the BusDepot brand. It isn't as drum tight as their "OEM" version but seems like the best cost/quality combo out there for $279.

I also added some poptop shocks. These came off a Subaru forester for $12.

Got a good start on the rear cabinets. Haven't cut the doors yet as I am still trying to decide what I want to do. This layout is far superior to the stock westy layout. 2 small cabinets vs. one huge one that everying just get piled into. The rear width remains the same, just lets you organize things better. The Formica 927-58 which is supposed to be stock grey is on order.

And the all important 1.8T badge.
greebly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a hooka bong dude.How did it smoke?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: