Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Luggage Rack Seal
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Love My Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 8:51 pm    Post subject: Luggage Rack Seal Reply with quote

I need a new luggage rack seal. The last one I bought was a "U" shaped spring clip with a "O" shaped tube below it. While driving at 60mph it started with a real loud "rrrrrrrrrrr" noise that scared me. I took a box cutter and carefully removed the round tube and it seemed to be better. Then, while driving to Syncro Solstice it started to vibrate again only not as loud.

I have done a search and read the posts. GW has one for $14.95 and an OEM German one for $39.95. Does anyone have the GW aftermarket one and are you happy with it? I know the original one that came on my van new had the metal springs that rusted. I'm afraid the OEM one will be the same.

Then there's the Bus Depot one. I don't know which one to order so I'm asking for your experiences.
pioneer1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The rubber seal is vibrating against the tin roof.Instead of cutting away material you may have to add a strip of foam sealer(residential window/door repair ). The brackets on the roof can be bend a small amount to adjust the distance the luggage carrier sits above the tin.

'85 Porsche 911 Targa

'76 Westfalia project
werksberg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stock it was only the U trim but people had air going under that and wanted the pop top seal with the bulb which compress against the roof to seal off the air gap.

Hard for me to understand when you had a seal up there as for the noise. You sure it was not coming form some where else?

Follow my new products on my Facebook Werks Berg
Click the below ADs link for products & feedback.
Search "werksberg" on Photobucket for products photos & Please remember to buy "American made products!"
Love My Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

werksberg wrote:
Stock it was only the U trim but people had air going under that and wanted the pop top seal with the bulb which compress against the roof to seal off the air gap.

Hard for me to understand when you had a seal up there as for the noise. You sure it was not coming form some where else?

It was the rubber tube that was vibrating. It was very loud. After I cut it away, the vibration stopped, but now the edge of the "U" trim is vibrating although the frequency is higher. It does need more material under there, but there must be a seal that actually works correctly without having to add extra layers of material. I'm just trying to find out which seal to buy.

When I bought it new in 1986, the luggage rack seal was the same as the pop top seal with the exposed metal clips inside that rusted away over time.
werksberg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...Hmmmm.... it was a Uo trim seal then and I'm wonder if my Eurovan / early (62-72) euro small pop top seal OC would work better for you.... ????

Follow my new products on my Facebook Werks Berg
Click the below ADs link for products & feedback.
Search "werksberg" on Photobucket for products photos & Please remember to buy "American made products!"
Bruce Wayne
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

small piece of weather stripping quieted mine down.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: