Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What battery to buy?
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bret Young
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 8:09 am    Post subject: What battery to buy? Reply with quote

So I've got my bus pretty much rewired and its time to buy a battery (bus didnt come with one), and im trying to determine what battery I should buy. I searched, but didnt find any model numbers specifically. I have dealt with WalMart batteries in the past, but haven't had great luck with them, and was thinking about splurging for a Optima due to the warranty and them being a little heavier duty. I don't know if bus batteries sizes changed over the years, but my bus is a 64 and is 12V.

If anyone has any incite to which Optimas fit properly in busses, I would be greatly appreciative. I don't know if red tops or yellow tops are better, but I would take part numbers for either one.

Thanks in advance!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
campingbox Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've bought a few of these from Amazon and they fit and work fine.

8002-002-FFP

You can't use a stock battery cap but you can get the strap to work if you shim it with a small block of wood.
flemcadiddlehopper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The dry cell and gel cell batteries have very different charging needs as do the new gen of lithium ion batteries. Not a battery for the home DIY guy. Some will not even stand to be boosted by jumpers.

Just buy a traditional battery with the biggest cold cranking rating you can fit in the space provided. I would stick with name brand batteries that have a 7 year pro-rated warranty, as most batteries only last 5 years, one that they build expecting 7 should be better quality. A little bit more money spent on a good battery now, is less spent on a tow truck later.

Gordo.

Retrograde Garage. Vintage Aircooled, and others.
Bruce Amacker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

flemcadiddlehopper wrote:
The dry cell and gel cell batteries have very different charging needs as do the new gen of lithium ion batteries. Not a battery for the home DIY guy. Some will not even stand to be boosted by jumpers.

Just buy a traditional battery with the biggest cold cranking rating you can fit in the space provided. I would stick with name brand batteries that have a 7 year pro-rated warranty, as most batteries only last 5 years, one that they build expecting 7 should be better quality. A little bit more money spent on a good battery now, is less spent on a tow truck later.

Gordo.

I agree on avoiding an Optima as they are expensive overkill for most VW applications.

The highest CCA you can fit is also overkill and will actually work against you. To get CCA means thinner plates and thinner plates many times will not last as long as thicker plates in a lower CCA battery. I think more than 600-700CCA in an ACVW is overkill.

Look for a sale with a good (3 yr replacement) warranty. Costco is cheap and made by Interstate, they're about $70 here for 650ish CCA.

Good Luck!
'66- http://www.leakoil.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=2888&sid=54d8dedfb3822f99c7f2ea430cb4e856
'65- http://leakoil.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4263
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have the particular model or Costco inventory # for the battery you bought at Costco, please post it here.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ttullo1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you look at Consumer Reports they have named the Walmart ones the best. I have been running one in my SC for a while with no issues
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bret Young
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ttullo1 wrote:
If you look at Consumer Reports they have named the Walmart ones the best. I have been running one in my SC for a while with no issues

Did not know this. That's interesting. I believe that Walmart and Costco would be up there with the best warranties since they sell so many of them.

But I am with Everett. Parts/model numbers are always appreciated.
Culito

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ttullo1 wrote:

I also have a walmart battery in my SC. No problems here, even when it sits for months at a time. I'll see if I can find a number on it...I just picked it off the shelf.
I ruined the first walmart battery I had due to a bad voltage regulator. They exchanged it, no questions asked.
johnnypan wrote:
...dont pay no attention to Culito,he's a cornhole..
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ttullo1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will go down to my shop later today and get numbers
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can anyone post the same info for 6 volt batteries??? I know the local strip mall Interstate battery store has 'em for $125 (ouch!). Any other sources? I'm willng to order and wait for one too if size and price are right...

Bill
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
zozo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BulliBill wrote:
Can anyone post the same info for 6 volt batteries??? I know the local strip mall Interstate battery store has 'em for $125 (ouch!). Any other sources? I'm willng to order and wait for one too if size and price are right...

Bill

I ordered a 6-volt optima through Amazon for around $90. The price has gone up, but still comparable to the "norm".

http://www.amazon.com/Optima-Batteries-8010-044-St...lt+battery

Last edited by zozo on Mon May 27, 2013 5:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
C.Moore
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been running 6V optimas for years in my 6V VWs and have had no problems. They are costly.
Stocknazi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BulliBill wrote:

Bill
i just bought a 6 volt battery at advance; higher cca than the autozone 6volt. i believe it has 800 cranking amps and 650 cca

price was 95.00 plus tax

"When the people are afraid of the government, that's tyranny. But when the government is afraid of the people, that's liberty."
"Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God."

Thomas Jefferson
obus Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

running a 6v optima in my mangObus also with no issues. starts in the cold of winter too.
1960 Paprika Red Karmann Ghia Convertible aka Schatze L452 built 5/20/60
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
66 21 window bus built 8/31/65 https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=777273
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
flemcadiddlehopper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CCA probably not as important in California, as it would be in the colder climate areas. But for me, the biggest battery you can fit in regardless of cold cranking.

Gordo.

Retrograde Garage. Vintage Aircooled, and others.
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Optimas red tops in several of my bugs. Oldest one has been in for 5 years and 20,000 miles.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ToolBox
Samba Member

Location: Detroit, where they don't jack parts off my ride in the parking lot of the 7-11

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BulliBill wrote:

Bill

Tractor Supply

Farm and Fleet
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bret Young
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any more info on the 12V Walmart / Costco battery part numbers guys and gals?
TinCanFab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A part #7244 is a NAPA group 1 6 volt, made by Johnson Controls. Same company that makes Interstate.

They're never really ever finished 58 rag build...
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=658092
don.ville Premium Member
Samba YardMan

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See this thread.....
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=553578

67 Standard 11 window How I Keep My Bus Alive
04 Jetta TDI Page (SOLD)
01 Mexican Beetle Hello Kitty Rescue (SOLD)
29 Ford Model A Rat Rod (SOLD)
2015 Audi A8L TDI Quattro
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: