Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Valve train and engine assembly question mystery click
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ekacpuc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 10:31 pm    Post subject: Valve train and engine assembly question mystery click Reply with quote

I finally started to install the rockers on my type 1 motor. When I was turning the motor by hand I heard a click (kinda loud). So I backed out the adjusters and turned it again and it clicked once more. I finally saw what was happening, when it clicked the valve popped shut like a lifter was stuck open. I don't remember the lifters being super tight. I cranked it over a few more times and couldn't get it to happen again. I prob turned it over 20 more times without a click.

Anyone ever have that happen? It just went away... I've been super carefull and am sure nothing is in the motor. I had plenty of clearance between the lifter heads and bore at full lift.

My plan is to continue assembling and get the geometry perfect then try listening for the click again. If I don't hear it I'm planning on just breaking in the motor and listening for anything wierd.

Oh I took the cyls off and looked inside and didnt see anything wierd and I can push the lifter down with the pushrod just fine..

Seems like my 1776 did that upon assembly but just stopped.
FreeBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might be a sticking valve stem, rather than a lifter.
morymob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

U always on a rebuild (?) sit heads down &run some thin oil down valve stems if u haven't had them apart, especially if they been sitting sround awhile, it takes awhile to get oil up to valve assy and slung onto stems. If hds already on run oil on stems. Or spray.
borninabus
Samba R&D Dept.

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the loud click was more than likely a pushrod that was not seated in the lifter properly finding its home.
not a big deal.
ekacpuc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

New heads. Rebuilt seems to cost as much as new ones plus I wanted a little better flow. I'll squirt a little oil on the tops of the guides.

Didn't think about pushrods popping into lifters. Makes sense.

I'm gonna continue as planned then. I just wanted to make sure I was prob okay. I'm alot less worried after sleeping on it.
Hustlers67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Valve train and engine assembly question mystery click Reply with quote

I have a strange and similar issue. I have built a stroker engine, using a Webcam 163 cam and Eaton 2 piece lifters. I have CB044 heads that I removed the dual springs for the cam break in. I have completed the cam break in - with no issues.

I have now replaced the stock single springs for the dual springs (that came with the 044 heads). Now, when working on adjusting the valves again we noticed a "pop" on the no.3 intake valve. On closer inspection, the pop is not the pushrod adjusting in the cup at the rocker side, it is coming from inside, as if the pushrod is moving in the lifter?? Or clicking off something??

The pushrod tubes are aftermarket wide ones (Fast Fab - seal pro), so its not touching there. I can visibly see the pushrod "jump" slightly, the vibration and noise is very obvious. "Pop" like clicking your tongue off the roof of your mouth.

Has anyone noticed something like this before??
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Valve train and engine assembly question mystery click Reply with quote

Yes I've noticed that. Probably the way the springs are torquing the cam is switching at that point, and it snaps the gear lash and/or thrust the other way.
Hustlers67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Valve train and engine assembly question mystery click Reply with quote

Thanks Modok, Did you do anything about it?

I wish I could put a video up on here. It doesnt sound like a banging or metal clicking noise.

I am reluctant to tear the motor down to check out the lifter... but obviously my concern is some kind of failure with the 2 piece lifter.

There was no issue with the single springs. BTW I am using the CB HD aluminium pushrods.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Valve train and engine assembly question mystery click Reply with quote

First noticed that after I crashed my rat rod, 5-7 years ago or so, wasn't sure if it was a sticky guide or just what I thought it was, but I think I noticed it again a few years later. At some point a clip fell out of the lifter, found it on the sump magnet. Last year I took off the heads just to look at them while I had the engine out, and kept the engine tipped to the side as I took each head off so the thingy would not fall out of the lifter.
The clipless two piece lifters work a lot better on a V8 Laughing
I'n not kidding some guys do that!

So actually......I don't know why it would not do 2 or 4 times per cycle instead of only one spot, AND i don't know if it is related to one lifter cup being loose, but whatever it actually is..... it isn't fatal. I've driven round the equator and more since then.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: