Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Anybody else use Grundy insurance?
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 7:08 pm    Post subject: Anybody else use Grundy insurance? Reply with quote

quick question to anyone who uses with grundy. i have a couple cars with them and just noticed my policy ends 6-1-13. i will call them first thing tomorrow, but i never got anything in the mail.

every other insurance company i have ever had always sent something weeks/month's in advance of a renew date. is this normal with collector insurance? do i have to call them every year? seems odd to me....

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
VDubTech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have any experience with Grundy, I insure through Hagerty but they always send me the renewal in the mail long before the policy expires, followed shortly by the new cards.
a measurement of your rod would be extremely useful.

notchboy wrote:
my dad wasnt a belittling cock when he tought me how to wrench on cars.

EverettB wrote:
One photo = good for reference.
10 photos = douchebaggery
Stanagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had Grundy but they wouldn't insure the '61 Mango when I got it. Said they didn't insure 'project' vehicles. I switched to Hagerty and have been very happy with them since.

www.stanagon.com

My '61 Mango bus thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=110367
My '64 vert thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=386344
My '71 squareback thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=637709
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got my email from Hagerty to renew - policy expires July 11th. Not sure what Grundy is charging you, but I have 6 VWs on my policy (4 road cars with values from $6K to $30K each plus 2 projects and a BUNCH of parts.) $700 per year.

You DO know that you can insure a project and increase its value as you get further along. Costs next to nothing as long as its not on the road. You also know that you could and should insure your parts stash.

What I stopped to think about one day, was that if my storage garage burned down, I would have lost everything in my parts stash as well as any project cars. Don't know about you, but if you start adding things up, you have a lot of money sitting on the shelves.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
L378
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used Grundy for 11 years. Mine expires on 6-11 and I received my renew material probably 3 weeks ago. All you have to do is call, I think one year it got to me about 2 weeks prior to due date. You can also just renew on-line which I did last year for the first time.
babysnakes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got Hagerty and they send me email notification.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well they mailed the info out on 4-1.....never got it in the mail. Took care of everything on the phone and they emailed me new cards and the policy. Fwiw I pay about 450 for a 71 westy and 71 s/c. They were the only company that would use the westy as a westy and the truck like a truck.

Looks like it was a usps snafu....

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
DougB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello all,

I just spent a considerable amount of time populating a policy with a Grundy rep only to find out (after all of the information and pictures had been sent, and the policy essentially written) that not having a garage, or wanting to drive one of the vintage vehicles as a daily driver, was essentially a non-starter for the policy. The rep was great...very accommodating, answered questions promptly and completely and was very up front with the pricing...I only wish the garage question had come to light a little earlier. As in "it should have been one of the first questions he asked" earlier. Confused

- Doug
'41 Zundapp KS600
'55 Puch SGS250
A very, very understanding wife
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Letterman7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got Grundy as well for the Sterling only since I don't drive it that much. Policy is a bit limiting and watch for the fine print - ask questions. Technically, I can only drive my car to shows and to events. If I stop at a grocery store on the way home and somebody hits the car in the parking lot I'm not covered - since I'm "shopping" the car automatically falls into a daily driver category and won't be covered.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
As in "it should have been one of the first questions he asked" earlier. Confused

Agree. Pretty much all the collector car/ agreed value policies require a locked garage and a daily driver vehicle. I have Leland West, they dont have mileage limits and i can pretty much drive the car anytime.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I currently have Condon Skelly, thinking of changing to Hagerty, which seems more flexible in usages allowed.

Another thing, Hagerty responded in writing (E-mail) same day about activities covered and permissible, and the same question posed to Condon Skelly has remained unresponded (except for the automated "your inquiry is important to us, our "FUNderwriters are working on this". So that pi$$es me off too about Condon Skelly.

My insurance agent says my CS policy allows uses other than parades and shows because I have "regular use vehicles". But it's an implied usage, and I don't like that.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
DougB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I've continued to talk with the Grundy agent and he's helping me work through the challenges. He changed my Camper to an ungaraged daily use vehicle (but still with stated value coverage) and it only bumped the rate a little. What's interesting is that based on your situation and the different providers and policies they underwrite for just changing one aspect of the coverage might change it to a policy from another company.

So the journey continues hopefully with a good outcome. I'm asking for information on use restrictions for the non-daily driver vehicles so we'll see what those are. Our newer Volvo SUV and the sheer number of vehicles (7 total), combined with my wife's 2 2013 tickets is putting our policy in the $2450/year range :-/ But at least they'll all have adequate coverage, and let's face it - I'd rather drive the VWs than watch cable Wink
'41 Zundapp KS600
'55 Puch SGS250
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cant rave enough about Hagerty. Hell, I added and dropped some cars recently. I get a freaking hand written thank you note AND a VW refrigertaor magnet! Managing the policy online is super easy, but their agents are so good and helpful, I usually just call them. Personally, I would never even bother shopping for another insurance for my cars..
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

andk5591 wrote:
I cant rave enough about Hagerty. Hell, I added and dropped some cars recently. I get a freaking hand written thank you note AND a VW refrigertaor magnet! Managing the policy online is super easy, but their agents are so good and helpful, I usually just call them. Personally, I would never even bother shopping for another insurance for my cars..

Thank you so much for your input (even though I am from Pittsburgh !!!). I just HATE businesses that do not respond promptly to customers (or potential customers) - worse than the automated phone systems, in my estimation. So I don't think Condon Skelly deserves my business any longer; CS says they do refund when customers cancel too.

I think I'll take my photo or two for Hagerty today.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
kingkarmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too am a huge fan of Hagerty.
I upped my agreed value last month as I had not changed it since 2006. It was done with a couple of questions! Very easy.
I have had 2 minor claims with them and they immediately took care of the repairs. No rate increase. Used their road service and concierge service a couple of times also. They have been fantastic Cool

Mike Gerson

What is your "Bespoke Reality"?
DougB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried Hagerty but it was a dealbreaker that the car was not in a locked garage… Unfortunately I only found that out after spending probably two hours getting the Hagerty rep information. :-/
'41 Zundapp KS600
'55 Puch SGS250
The Sage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I left Hagerty because they won't be clear on insuring campers (I have 4). When I went to Grundy, they certainly are not as easy to do business with, but they insure campers and put it in writing.

I should note that there is a thread about this in Split Window Bus forum, and I have a number of friends at Hagerty who agree the Bus/Camper policy is pretty unclear.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=274615&highlight=hagerty
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: