Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My project 40HP Riechert engine
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
eurodub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:44 am    Post subject: My project 40HP Riechert engine Reply with quote

Hello guys

I have changed some cars in the past, from Fiat 500 to 1952 split bug, then mk1 golf cabrio, t2 bus, t3 bus ... but made sure in the meantime to get my dear friend's bug, some years after he passed away. the bug never goes away.
The bug, 1960 ragtop, model 1961 (no semaphores, 40hp motor)
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Since i got it 2 years ago it sat in my yard, then in my new garage, got a coat of paint on it and did the paperwork including technical inspection. it has now a 1300F motor with a mangled serial number, which i need to change asap.

After this long intro, i must say i felt this car needs a bit of upgrade. my split had a 40hp motor, served me 25.000km without issues, ran well on the highway at 100-115 km/h all day. This 1300 is not what i like for my ragtop, so i decided to go for a Riechert kit. I got the kit without the carbs and airfilters, after a month's wait and after trying to get Mr Riechert on the phone for over 2 months...
So, what i have so far :

- Riechert intake manifolds left and right, 34mm diameter
- complete Riechert linkage kit, including fuel connections and balancing hose, throttle shaft custom parts, etc.
- 34hp airfilter (only one so far) that will get it's twin and the "move hole" treatment as i saw in a thread, to center the filter to the carb's neck
- Riechert carb refurbish kit: jets, seals, accelerator membrane, float needle.
- longer cylinder head studs needed as the manifolds have thicker bases.

- ignition will be a 010 dizzy from industrial engine, low use.
- Bosch blue coil
- Gotronic electronic ignition module, will see if i will use it with/without points.
- new exhaust

As for the engine, it will be a new build with stock parts. wanted a W100 cam, bigger valves and oil radiator set-up but for the moment stock it's enough.

My questions are mainly regarding carbs to use. i have 3 28PCI carbs that are not identical in every aspect, and i don't know what to use or search for.
2 of them right here, just a bit cleaner than they were, and already removed some of the unnecessary parts (choke butterfly and shaft, etc) will block shut the advance vacuum hole as well.

-As you see here, the venturis are 28-20 and 28-21.5. what is better? is there a size needed based on the jets i have?

-The emulsion tubes are all trash. i took them out, and saw they differ. one has a 5 on it and is a tad smaller in inner diameter than the other, you see the emulsion tube fits in one, and does not in the other, at the bronze tube end... the emulsion tubes have a 10 and a 29, and holes differ in size and location. what should i use? are the bronze replacements ok to use? has anyone had experience with them, considering they are a bit different in design than the originals?

Another question is how to make sure the accelerator pump adds less fuel during acceleration? i read somewhere that with dual carbs the amount of fuel should be less on each carb than with just a stock one?

Sorry for the long post, will try to update as far as i have news.
will also prepare a list of jet size of what i have.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Torben
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: My project 40HP Riechert engine Reply with quote

I made the accelerationpump lever 1,5 cm longer and cut some treads. Added a self-locking nut and I had an adjustable acceleration pump which could deliver this very small amount of fuel needed.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: