Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

rear main seal leak?
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
marknmel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2003 8:41 am    Post subject: rear main seal leak? Reply with quote

hey all. there's been a good deal of oil dripping from the bottom of the fan housing- looks like its coming from inside (not running down the sides and collecting on the bottom) and dripping out. does this mean the rear main seal may be going? if it is, what are the odds of my being able to replace it without taking the engine out of the car? thanks much.
jeremyrockjock
Samba Towbar Builder

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2003 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it is coming from the bell housing and it is engine oil then yes it is the rear main or the flywheel o-ring seal in which case you should change both anyway while your in there. The odds of you changeing it in the vehical are as good as Elvis being alive and playing guitar for the Red Hot Chili Peppers. Laughing You will have to pull the motor. What year is your bus?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
marknmel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2003 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the bus is a 73 with a 1700 in it. and when i spoke to elvis the other day at 7-11, he said the chili peppers were looking for a second guitar... thanks for the info.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2003 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can easily pull the fan off and see if its leaking at the seal at the fan hub. The hub will have to come off to change the seal. I have never changed this seal with the engine in but I don't think it should be to much trouble. Loosten your alternater and remove the belt. Next loosen and remove the 3 13mm bolts that hold the fan on and remove the fan. You should then be able to see if the seal is leaking. If you have to replace the seal the hub will have to come off. These can sometimes be a pain to remove. Remove the 13mm bolt that holds the hub in place. Sometimes a little heat on the hub will help it break free. I use the 3 bolts that hold the fan on with a washer between them and the engine to press the hub off the crank snout. Good luck
Amskeptic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2003 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way, check your dipstick boot while you're there, it'll leak nicely too.
Colin
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
marknmel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, i just tightened the oil filler tube- the nut twisted off just using my fingers! whoever had this bus before me really let it go- there's all kind of missing screws, bolts, etc underneath. now that i "finished" (i mean do we ever really "finish" restorations?) my 67 bug, its time to do up the bus. thanks for the tips all.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: