Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Suspension Rebuild - Loctite or New Hardware
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
scottjk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 1:34 pm    Post subject: Suspension Rebuild - Loctite or New Hardware Reply with quote

I spent most of the winter bouncing around dirt roads in Baja. Lost a rear shock bolt and a end link bolt along with brand new Loogy PowerFlex end link bushings. Crying or Very sad I'm super concerned now about dirt road driving, vibration and hardware loss.

I'm diving in to a complete front end rebuild. According to Bentley many fasteners should be replaced. I would assume that primarily means the control arm nuts which appear to be locking copper or such material.

My question is should I be using Loctite during reassembly to help prevent loosening up? Which version of Loctite? What fasteners are mandatory replacement? At this point I'm only planning on replacing the control arm nuts.

Thanks

Scott
Type17
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i like the loctite 242 for stuff like that. clean everything up and don't go too crazy with the loctite.
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, loctite blue. It can still be removed without too much difficulty in the future if needed.
I have almost lost a shock bolt once and use the blue loctite on suspension hardware now with good success.
rubbachicken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bolts should be 10.9 or better, you could do like they do in the aero insdustry, and drill and wire them

lucy's BIG adventure

meet 'burni'

markswagen {mobile mechanic} san diego area all early VW's cared for.

619 201 0310 or 617 935 4182
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
scottjk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:14 pm    Post subject: Bolts/Nuts Reply with quote

syncrodoka... do you replace any hardware after working on your suspension? I'm going to replace the upper and lower control arm nuts but that might be it.
Hodakaguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Type17 wrote:
i like the loctite 242 for stuff like that. clean everything up and don't go too crazy with the loctite.

I like to replace hardware and use Loctite as well. Just one note, I switched from Loctite 242 to Loctite 243 instead. 243 is resistant to oils and will set up on surfaces that have traces of oil on it, 242 really needs to have a super clean surface for it to set up properly. Otherwise they are the same.

Hodakaguy

My Unimog Build: https://advrider.com/f/threads/meet-the-trotn-turtle-unimog-u1300l-build.1143869/

My Tacoma Builds: https://advrider.com/f/threads/hodakaguys-overland-tacoma-builds-on-to-new-adventures.1274770/

My 4wd Sprinter Build here:https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9334401#9334401
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Bolts/Nuts Reply with quote

scottjk wrote:
syncrodoka... do you replace any hardware after working on your suspension?

I usually just replace damaged or worn hardware as needed but if one side gets something the other side does as well. Stover nuts are one time use and should get swapped out.
Loogy stocks a bunch of hardware if you don't want to track it down. http://t3technique.com/vanagon-suspension/

Good luck
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott,

Don't be concerned about it, but you should adapt your inspections to match what would be considered an extreme driving environment. Just like increasing other maintenance to match, suspension bolts should be a regular check if you are constantly on dirt roads. Find a few wrenches that fit all your suspension bolts, put a piece of black electrical tape on them in the toolbox for quick ID and toss 'em in the Van before a trip like that. Even race prepped cars shake fasteners loose and get checked with a wrench each stop.

As mentioned, the Bentley calls out the many fasteners VW intentionally chooses to protect you which are a locking style. Loctite is a good substitute for some of them, but best is new fasteners of the same exact and correct type.

DougM
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: