Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Emergency Flasher Relay Mount
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bret Young
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:19 am    Post subject: Emergency Flasher Relay Mount Reply with quote

So I finally got all the wiring done on my bus and am going through and cleaning up the wiring under the dash to make it look a little more orderly. Well I have now come to the emergency flasher relay and am looking to mount it so that its not banging around in there just being supported by the wires. I looked under the dash and see the threaded tab (one on both sides of the dash, the old turn signal flasher relay used to thread into the one next to the fuse box) and was hoping to mount it there.

Thing is I looked through the obsolete air cooled directory site and cannot find the specs for what kinda bolt I need to mount my relay there. Anyone have the specs of that bolt? Would be greatly appreciative for the correct info.

Thanks guys!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bret Young
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No responses yet, so maybe my description wasnt very clear. Found a picture in the gallery that might be helpful.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

See the round silver flasher relay? You can see the bent tab above it that it is attached to. Trying to mount my relays to those tabs, just need to know the sizing of the bolt that would be needed.

Thanks!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KevinAlbrecht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrblyoung wrote:
No responses yet, so maybe my description wasnt very clear. Found a picture in the gallery that might be helpful.

See the round silver flasher relay? You can see the bent tab above it that it is attached to. Trying to mount my relays to those tabs, just need to know the sizing of the bolt that would be needed.

Thanks!

I would just try a few different sizes.

http://www.physics.harvard.edu/services/machineshop/shoplinks/MetricScrewThreadChart.pdf

WideFive wrote:
Single carbs are for lawn mowers!

Don't forget those seat-belts!
Click to view image
2Pack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The turnsignal relay shown there has short threaded stud with a 5 mm x 0.8 mm thread size. (I know because that's my bus and I have the relay sitting here next to me. Smile )
Bret Young
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2Pack wrote:
The turnsignal relay shown there has short threaded stud with a 5 mm x 0.8 mm thread size. (I know because that's my bus and I have the relay sitting here next to me. :) )

Does that mean its an M5 bolt? I have a M6 bolt here (bought some hardware for my bus via the OACD site) and it pushes right into the hole not even engaging the threads....
Bret Young
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have to retract my previous statement. The M5 bolt did fit the drivers side tab. The tab on the passenger side is larger. looks like i need to go buy a M7 bolt because a M6 drops through, but an M8 won't thread in.
coolerthanelvis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No threads on the passenger side. The original relay had a metal clip that would slide through the hole, no screwing involved.
SV2s member #420
'68 Westy

"Do or do not, there is no try."
-Silent Bob
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
coolerthanelvis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a pic of a headlight relay that has the same style of clip mount. The tab in the center fits through the hole and slides over to lock in place.
SV2s member #420
'68 Westy

"Do or do not, there is no try."
-Silent Bob
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mastorna
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Emergency Flasher Relay Mount Reply with quote

Basic question: the flasher has to be grounded by being bolted to the body via this screw, correct? I just picked up a 6v relay but it doesn't have a screw coming out of it so I'm not sure how to mount it so it grounds.
1963 Type II Deluxe MG\PW
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 9:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Emergency Flasher Relay Mount Reply with quote

There are numerous ways these flashers can mount. Here's one with a stud in the top:

Here's one that uses a small bolt:

Here's a bracket to hole a relay with nothing on top

This is probably what you need :
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1934543
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mastorna
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: Emergency Flasher Relay Mount Reply with quote

Well hot damn, I think I might have this piece in my collection. I just didn't know what it was used for since I've only had the bolt in flashers previously.

Since my flasher is simply dangling down without a ground, I hope this solves why my turn signals are not working at the moment.
1963 Type II Deluxe MG\PW
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Emergency Flasher Relay Mount Reply with quote

mastorna wrote:
Well hot damn, I think I might have this piece in my collection. I just didn't know what it was used for since I've only had the bolt in flashers previously.

Btw those type brackets will hold the can lengthwise or sideways.
'64cal lookdub
1200 Deluxe

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 10:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Emergency Flasher Relay Mount Reply with quote

mastorna wrote:
Since my flasher is simply dangling down without a ground, I hope this solves why my turn signals are not working at the moment.

Definitely will, I've been chasing down a few electrical things on mine since getting it running. I noticed today my flasher relay was hanging as well with the same bracket, the tail lights and signals never worked. I made a quick ground wire with a few alligator clips and they started working. I need to get a bolt in there and mount it for good.
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2016 8:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Emergency Flasher Relay Mount Reply with quote

Saw this discussion over in the early 60's beetle forum and I bet it mostly applies here as well.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8302540#8302540
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: