Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Powered westy pop-top lift on ebay
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
Honuak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 10:58 am    Post subject: Powered westy pop-top lift on ebay Reply with quote

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1987-Volkswagen-Vanagon-We...5731.m3795
Not affiliated with this product. Wondering if anyone has tried/seen this setup.
Spendy but kinda cool.
JDub113
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: Powered westy pop-top lift on ebay Reply with quote

Looks like that is just a dealer, buying direct would probably be cheaper but I didn't see them listed currently on autoloc website. Looks convenient if you might not have the ability to lift anymore.
physast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: Powered westy pop-top lift on ebay Reply with quote

I don't trust it. I found the same image on the web of that same car *without* the powered units installed. The image is from a forsale ad for the car. The ebay image is low quality so they could have altered the image. So this might be a scam.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by physast on Wed Dec 21, 2016 11:12 am; edited 1 time in total
JDub113
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: Powered westy pop-top lift on ebay Reply with quote

I don't think it was built for a westy either, but a dealer had an idea to make a wild price markup by labeling it that way.
0to60in6min
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: Powered westy pop-top lift on ebay Reply with quote

hmmm... photoshop

Very Happy
physast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: Powered westy pop-top lift on ebay Reply with quote

0to60in6min wrote:
hmmm... photoshop

Very Happy

Maybe.. It could also be the same dealer and he installed them on this car. But it does seem suspicious to me (I think it's the same exact picture).

If you are interested in buying I would contact the ebay seller and ask for more pictures of this installed on various vans or even a video of the product working.
jackbombay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Powered westy pop-top lift on ebay Reply with quote

Will this work with a 10 gallon solar shower, a mega rack warrior, a rocket box, a canoe, some solar panels, and a 1/4 cord of firewood on the roof?

Laughing

Pretty spendy, looks like they have some mounts that work with the EVC though, hmmm, maybe that last pic isn't an EVC, I haven't spent much time in those.

Gas struts to pop your top easily!

Pop Top strut kits now available for late Bay window Westies Smile

Samba ad here.

DIY artificial rain gutters (ARGs)
jackbombay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Powered westy pop-top lift on ebay Reply with quote

A search for "Linear actuator" brings up a bunch of stuff, Looks like you could put a kit together from amazon for ~$113 a side, the "frequently bought together" comes to $113 for each side... Would take 30 seconds to pop the top.

https://www.amazon.com/Inch-Linear-Actuator-Volt-Pounds/dp/B007SJAHW2

I'm assuming that if you buy the kit from ebay you get some good instructions so install would be much faster than figuring it all out for yourself.

Gas struts to pop your top easily!

Pop Top strut kits now available for late Bay window Westies Smile

Samba ad here.

DIY artificial rain gutters (ARGs)
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Powered westy pop-top lift on ebay Reply with quote

You can try to roll yer own...

http://www.banggood.com/500mm-Stroke-DC-12V-900N-L...mds=search

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Powered westy pop-top lift on ebay Reply with quote

We're full-time with well over 200 lbs. on our roof... not counting the Missus. Wink

We have a pair of Jack Bombays (Hi, Mark!) and a pair of the GW lifts, I'm not young, and can push it up with medium effort. Total lift capacity of the four was 250 lbs. when new.

With the Bombays alone, the roof would almost lift itself before putting the giant Yakima up there. Pretty automated already...

I could see a power lift if I were 70, or disabled, but if I needed that I probably wouldn't have a cargo box full of gear anyway.

I guess I'm saying this just strikes me as consistent with an ever-lazy society that wants an ever-growing arsenal of crap to avoid any hint of manual labor. "Sad" springs to mind.

— Colin Chapman
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: