Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What is this Strange Cylinder off Fuel Pressure Regulator?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
kingfool
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 3:36 pm    Post subject: What is this Strange Cylinder off Fuel Pressure Regulator? Reply with quote

Anyone know what this is? This is on my '86 Adventurewagen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

It has three electrical lines coming off of it.

The red line goes to the red/black line off the plug on the distributor.

White line is floating, and the black is grounded.[/img]
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: What is this Strange Cylinder off Fuel Pressure Regulator? Reply with quote

Looks to be an incorrectly placed fuel pump of unknown origin.
0to60in6min
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: What is this Strange Cylinder off Fuel Pressure Regulator? Reply with quote

a kind of gimmick to improve the fuel flow...?

Very Happy
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: What is this Strange Cylinder off Fuel Pressure Regulator? Reply with quote

I too suspect fuel pump but small inline pumps like that only produce low pressure.

One thing I do know 100% for certain about it ............... REMOVE IT!

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: What is this Strange Cylinder off Fuel Pressure Regulator? Reply with quote

Hold on for a second.

Don't yank anything until you look under the vehicle and ascertain that you have an operational fuel pump.

You just buy this van?
kingfool
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: What is this Strange Cylinder off Fuel Pressure Regulator? Reply with quote

Yep, I have a stockish looking fuel pump in the normal location.

I've have actually had this van for a while, just overlooked that part! Guess I thought it was part of the the fuel injection system. However I realized today that it was not.

I removed it, but before I disconnected the wires I started the van to see what it sounded like and I got nothing, so it was defunct.

Maybe the previous owner's stock pump died and they slapped it in there as a quick fix?

Anyway, the van runs fine now that it's out and with a new set of fuel lines to boot.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: What is this Strange Cylinder off Fuel Pressure Regulator? Reply with quote

Being is it is in the return line it would not have been pumping fuel to the engine. I was thinking that maybe someone wanted to feed fuel to a gas heater and thought this was the way to do it. Don't know, but I'm glad you removed it. My first thought on seeing it is that it was a serious fire hazard.

You might crawl underneath and look for other hacks in the fuel system, I would suspect others to be there.
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: What is this Strange Cylinder off Fuel Pressure Regulator? Reply with quote

Electromagnetic fuel molecule aligner. 25% gain in power, torque and mpg.
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: What is this Strange Cylinder off Fuel Pressure Regulator? Reply with quote

It's a bomb. Be sure to disconnect the white wire *first*.
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: What is this Strange Cylinder off Fuel Pressure Regulator? Reply with quote

That was my take as well. Getting power from the dizzy harness isn't going to allow much pumping. Then it has the white wire coiled around the spark plug wire to get the magnetic magic involved. Plus there is that 3 position switch on the end, maybe to select your mpg improvement position 1 for 10%, 2 for 20%, or 3 for 30%?

Mark

MarkWard wrote:
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: What is this Strange Cylinder off Fuel Pressure Regulator? Reply with quote

Lol. Thanks for pointing out the wire wrapped around the spark plug wire.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: What is this Strange Cylinder off Fuel Pressure Regulator? Reply with quote

crazyvwvanman wrote:
That was my take as well. Getting power from the dizzy harness isn't going to allow much pumping. Then it has the white wire coiled around the spark plug wire to get the magnetic magic involved. Plus there is that 3 position switch on the end, maybe to select your mpg improvement position 1 for 10%, 2 for 20%, or 3 for 30%?

Mark

MarkWard wrote:

Maybe you are right the electronic equivalent of a fuel line magnet. Why is it set on "2" though? Does the gas tank overfill if you set it on "3"?
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: What is this Strange Cylinder off Fuel Pressure Regulator? Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
crazyvwvanman wrote:

Mark

MarkWard wrote:

Maybe you are right the electronic equivalent of a fuel line magnet. Why is it set on "2" though? Does the gas tank overfill if you set it on "3"?

Terrifying amount of power produced on "3"? Shocked Very Happy
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: What is this Strange Cylinder off Fuel Pressure Regulator? Reply with quote

Andrew A. Libby wrote:
It's a bomb. Be sure to disconnect the white wire *first*.

Dont listen to Andrew - cut the red wire first. Trust me.
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: What is this Strange Cylinder off Fuel Pressure Regulator? Reply with quote

a fire hazard that I do see is regarding the vacuum hose on the fuel pressure regulator. make sure the hose is a good high pressure hose and clamp both ends securely, note the fittings for this vacuum hose are not barbed, the ends must be clamped.

why you may ask need this vacuum hose be a high pressure fuel hose and clamped??? well if the pressure regulator diaphram ever ruptures, the high pressure fuel will be sent to the vacuum hose, if that hose fails, or blows off, the fuel will be sprayed all over, maybe on the distributor, spark kaboom! if that vacuum hose is secured and strong, the leaking fuel will be contained and sent harmlessly into the intake and stall the motor, thus shutting off the pump.

several vanagon engine fires have occured becuase of a failed diaphram and that vacuum hose blowing off or breaking. so secure that hose and make sure it is a fuel rated hose, not a flimsy vacuum hose with unclampped ends.

your vanagon with thank you for doing this by not buring if the diaphram ruptures.

good luck

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
Butcher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: What is this Strange Cylinder off Fuel Pressure Regulator? Reply with quote

Certainly none of you people know how to cut wires.

You cut them at the same time with the same tool. Done right, you'll blow something.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: