Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Idling Enrichment Valve 021 129 052 A
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
1500king
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tcash wrote:
1500king wrote:
Good fun, ain't it? Laughing I've rebuilt quite a few of these. Depending on how I feel, I have used several resistor options, 63 ohm wire wound 3W and also 2W 130 ohm metal film resistors in parallel. The harder part is starting with a valve that can be rebuilt as they often rattle themselves to pieces. The opening temperature spec for the valve is between 0-4 degrees C(Pierburg). Wink

0*- 4*C just above freezing. I wonder if there is a correlation? So in warmer climates it is seldom closed.
Tcash

Correct.
andyv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: Idling Enrichment Valve 021 129 052 A Reply with quote

To resurect an ancient thread, I've been trying to find out what's causing high fuel consumption on my '79. It's currently at 16.6 mpg (imperial).

I discovered that my idle enrichment valve has been disconnected for a while so wondered if this would cause higher fuel consumption. It's certainly very dramatic if one of the main chokes gets disconnected.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: Idling Enrichment Valve 021 129 052 A Reply with quote

Quote:
To resurect an ancient thread, I've been trying to find out what's causing high fuel consumption on my '79. It's currently at 16.6 mpg (imperial).

Your Imperial gallon is .832 an American gallon. If your gallon was the size of an American gallon you would go 1.2 times as far or 19.9 miles. How is it you see that as low mpg? If that is straight gas and no ethanol then it is fine. If it has ethanol you sound lean. Read the MPG thread and you will see that 18 - 19 is normal for a late bay. About 17 - 18 was normal for an early bay.
andyv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Idling Enrichment Valve 021 129 052 A Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
Quote:

Your Imperial gallon is .832 an American gallon. If your gallon was the size of an American gallon you would go 1.2 times as far or 19.9 miles. How is it you see that as low mpg? If that is straight gas and no ethanol then it is fine. If it has ethanol you sound lean. Read the MPG thread and you will see that 18 - 19 is normal for a late bay. About 17 - 18 was normal for an early bay.

Normally I get about 22.5 mpg imperial so you can see it’s gone down a lot. Also our gas is costing a lot more than US, but that’s different story.

Though fuel comes in litres these days, us oldies still think in gallons. A UK gallon weighs 10 pounds when measuring water, but I think you get only 8 pounds.
andyv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:58 am    Post subject: Re: Idling Enrichment Valve 021 129 052 A Reply with quote

andyv wrote:
SGKent wrote:
Quote:

Normally I get about 22.5 mpg imperial so you can see it’s gone down a lot. Also our gas is costing a lot more than US, but that’s different story.

Though fuel comes in litres these days, us oldies still think in gallons. A UK gallon weighs 10 pounds when measuring water, but I think you get only 8 pounds.

Apologies. I see that a US gallon is actually 8.34 pounds, but you get the picture.
1500king
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 6:13 am    Post subject: Re: Idling Enrichment Valve 021 129 052 A Reply with quote

andyv wrote:

I discovered that my idle enrichment valve has been disconnected for a while so wondered if this would cause higher fuel consumption. It's certainly very dramatic if one of the main chokes gets disconnected.

Been a while since being on here, watching another road of discovery on the Aussie facebook kombi pages (kombi Club)....

To answer, yes, your central idle circuit will be on constant "choke" in cooler weather. The bimetal spring will however react to ambient temps, so will open on warmer days/ hot motor, eventually.

Many of them are defective in that they are no longer sealed, so it may not be choking your central idle air bleed anyway.

If you are in a hotter climate and want to remove it permanently, you can block the holes on the carb...BUT... you need to drill a 0.7mm air bleed hole inside the carb housing at the base of the central idle circuit jet/nozzle. There is a dimple in the casting on where the hole needs to be drilled. The "non smog" earlier 1700 and 1800 carbs had this arrangement and no idle enrichment valve.

Your real high fuel consumption will be coming primarily from the following;

1) Accelerator pump thermostat (brass bulb next to the float bowl drain plug). There is one on each carb. They are supposed to open (eg blow through them) from 19-23c. When shut, your accelerator pump volume is about 1.6cc. When open, it is about 0.6cc.

They fail shut and 99.9% have failed. This means that on EVERY pump of the accelerator, you are consuming about 2cc more fuel than you need to...and because the motor has a dead spot(too much fuel), you give it another pump, hey? Laughing

New ones I last priced out of VW at 88 Euro EACH which is unacceptable for what they do. They have probably been made obsolete now, who knows, I lost interest at that point.

I file off the inner swage(at the threaded end), then extract the washer, the spring and then tap the small poppet valve out. This hollows them into permanent bypass which is then controlled entirely by the bleed orifice in the pump housing.
The Accelerator pump thermostat can be compensated for by increasing the pump stroke a little if you are in colder weather and it hesitates a bit accelerating when cold. if it feels ok, ie accelerates smoothly, don't touch the pumps on the carbs. Here in Australia, I just calibrated the accelerator pumps to 0.7cc and have absolutely no issues on our cold mornings(0-5c).

2)Make sure all your cold weather ancillaries are connected... ie warm air flap/regulator, and the Biggie- the engine thermostat cooling flap assy which makes a huge difference in getting the motor up to temp and keeping it there. They become more efficient when at temperature, the carb tune remains steady, and you don't need rich mixtures to keep a cold motor running.
bavarian1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 8:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Idling Enrichment Valve 021 129 052 A Reply with quote

Question to add in this thread, I'm missing the factory wire tail for the idle cutoff, choke and mix cut off. Checking Bentley for the wiring on a '72 it does not show the enrichment valve. All the other valves come off the coil, does anyone with original wiring know if this is on the same circuit? Thx
'72 Bay Panel - Pastel White
germansupplyscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 9:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Idling Enrichment Valve 021 129 052 A Reply with quote

Everything comes from terminal 15, which is + on the coil. It's one wire run from the coil all around the engine to all the consumers, a daisy chain.

The valve in this thread is only used on '74 in USA. Also used on the later models in Europe that had dual PDSIT carbs.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: