Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Just Bought a 1982 Air Cooled Westfalia
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ColoradoWesty82
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:30 pm    Post subject: Just Bought a 1982 Air Cooled Westfalia Reply with quote

I just purchased my first ever Westfalia. Something I have been dreaming of for 20 years. It is a 1982 Air Cooled and I love her:) Myself, wife, and two kids went to pick her up today and she did awesome on the ride home. She was taken care of but is in need of a lot of love.

First thing I did when I got home was change the oil(I used synthetic) and oil filter. I also ordered a KN air filter that will arrive in two days. I have no idea how to use the refer, sink, or stove but am looking forward to exploring this site to figure it all out.

I plan to upgrade just about everything. Even thinking about putting in some hard wood floors:)

First real camping trip is going to happen in two days, but as I write this I am in the bus under my 5year old daughter who could not wait to sleep in the pop top! 14 month old didn't care as much:)

Looking forward to many adventures. Oh ya I found her here on THESAMBA! So Thank you!

I have about a million questions but I will go look around before I ask...
msinabottle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:40 pm    Post subject: Welcome to the Funny Farm! Reply with quote

Congratulations! How happy and proud you must feel! The great adventure begins, I hope you never regret a moment of it.

It is customary at such times to say....

CHANGE YOUR FUEL LINES!

Having bought it, you don't want to mourn it. Scads of threads, and it's not that hard--but do use good stuff. My plan is to replace my Van, Winston's, with PolyArmor metal fuel lines.

Learn to use the Search, here, if you're anywhere near Denver, take your Van to Blazer and buy goodies for it at Rocky Mountain Westy, and if you need help--that's what we're here for.

Best!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ColoradoWesty82
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:46 pm    Post subject: Thanks! Reply with quote

Thank you! I will look into changing the fuel lines now. We are in Eagle.
ColoradoWesty82
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:00 pm    Post subject: help Reply with quote

I tink I already messed up by adding 5 qts during oil change. have not driven yet but did start the engine. Should I drain some oil? Thank you! Sad
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need a total of 3.7 quarts of oil. Use a NAPA gold oil filter. Use Mobil 1 15-50 oil available at Walmart as it has the zinc we need.

If you have removed the oil sump (with the 8mm bolt and the 13mm head) in the middle of the sump plate that hides the metal oil screen....

DO NOT TORQUE IT TO MORE THAN 7-9 FOOT POUNDS

or you will be buying a new engine the next day. There should be another bolt on the bottom of the engine case that is the drain bolt.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ColoradoWesty82
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:15 pm    Post subject: Thank you! Reply with quote

Thanks I drained the oil this morning and everything seems to be fine!
ColoradoWesty82
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:28 am    Post subject: Thanks Everyone! Reply with quote

I am seeing a vw air cooled mechanic tomorrow. I let you all know what he finds! Thanks for all the advice!
daroota
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You May also want to check for water damage behind the hookups and stuff.

Make sure it's all water tight, replace any lines that have gone moldy and reseal the hookup seals.

http://www.gowesty.com/ec_view_details.php?id=2439&category_id=23582&category_parent_id=

A lot of the seals dry out after 31 years and need to be maintained.

(I have to change my window seals yet)

And speaking about seals, Make sure the engine compartment seal is there, as well as all the engine Tin.
scruffyboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:39 pm    Post subject: my 2 cents Reply with quote

Looks like you're already getting some pretty good advice but there is one item I've found to be invaluable... The Vanagon Official Factory Repair Manual. Better known as the "Bentley" manual. The other item(s) are GOOD TOOLS! A lot of Costco stores sell a Crescent or Craftsman tool set for around $100. The sets come in a blow-mold case that make them easy to inventory and include metric and SAE tools. They aren't great but they're a LOT better than stuff you can find elsewhere.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: