Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Getting to the starter bolt with the engine in
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Major Woody
Samba Enigma

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:45 pm    Post subject: Getting to the starter bolt with the engine in Reply with quote

Anyone have any magic suggestions for inserting the top engine mount bolt (the one that passes through the starter) with the engine in place? I simply forgot to put it in place before installing the engine.

I'm not a big dude but I can't make my arm go up there. Not enough elbows, I guess. Embarassed

Any clever suggestions? I really don't want to pull the engine again.

Thanks!
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting to the starter bolt with the engine in Reply with quote

Major Woody wrote:
Anyone have any magic suggestions for inserting the top engine mount bolt (the one that passes through the starter) with the engine in place? I simply forgot to put it in place before installing the engine.

I'm not a big dude but I can't make my arm go up there. Not enough elbows, I guess. Embarassed

Any clever suggestions? I really don't want to pull the engine again.

Thanks!

Lie under the bus with your head towards the front bumper and feet towards the taillights.
from in front of the starter reach one hand up above the starter and reach back towards the motor. slide bolt into place.
With other hand, reach into engine compartment and attach nut.

Some people like to jack the bus up to do this.
Some people remove the heater tube to do this.

Some people disconnect the battery to do this. or at least make sure it is out of gear.
Harleyelf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you need clearance, drive the two right wheels up on a curb (natures jackstand). If the bolt doesn't go right in, loosen the lower starter bolt a half turn or so. If it spins when you put the nut on, grip the head of the bolt with the tip of a small pair of vise-grips. The tool will lay neatly on top of the starter.
thericklang
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had to take my heater box off to get my big hands up there...
flemcadiddlehopper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This way may fall under the category of cheating, but...

go to a trailer hitch supply company and get those long wires with a spring looking end. They are made for fishing bolts through holes in frames.

Or wait for geneticists to help you with the extra elbow thing.

Gordo.

Retrograde Garage. Vintage Aircooled, and others.
KevinAlbrecht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:26 am    Post subject: Re: Getting to the starter bolt with the engine in Reply with quote

Clara wrote:

Lie under the bus with your head towards the front bumper and feet towards the taillights.
from in front of the starter reach one hand up above the starter and reach back towards the motor. slide bolt into place.

I am trying to imagine you having one hand wrapped around the starter while the other arm comes out from under the bus & into the engine compartment...

WideFive wrote:
Single carbs are for lawn mowers!

Don't forget those seat-belts!
Click to view image
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RPGreg2600
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: Getting to the starter bolt with the engine in Reply with quote

KevinAlbrecht wrote:
Clara wrote:

I am trying to imagine you having one hand wrapped around the starter while the other arm comes out from under the bus & into the engine compartment...

X2
peaceful warrior
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: Getting to the starter bolt with the engine in Reply with quote

KevinAlbrecht wrote:
Clara wrote:

Me too! Laughing Laughing

Major Woody, I am a fairly big guy, not tall and I do it just as Clara noted, but I do have to jack the bus up a bit to get underneath and then contort a lot. Wink
66 13W Deluxe, 68 Westfalia, 87 Syncro.
TOOB Member #15
Brian
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sniperx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

6'1" and I have larger hands (shoot a 45 double stack easily) and I am able to snake my hand in there to push the bolt through. You'll want to lie on the ground with head towards front and just find the way in. Once you do it tou'll be amazed how easy it is to get a hold of. Then you forget exactly how you did it last time and make anOther thread about it.

It can be done. I do mine with no jacks and heaters installed.
peaceful warrior
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sniperx wrote:
Then you forget exactly how you did it last time and make anOther thread about it.

Laughing Laughing I have CRS also. Laughing Wink
TOOB Member #15
Brian
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: Getting to the starter bolt with the engine in Reply with quote

RPGreg2600 wrote:
KevinAlbrecht wrote:
Clara wrote:

X2

Just what I wish if there isn't someone around willing and able to help.

My first bus was a 59, with the older tranny/ starter w/o the holder for the D bolt, so it had hex bolts.
I'd put the bolt in so it poked threads into the engine compartment, then climb out from under the bus, climb into the engine compartment, reach past the engine, hold the threads of the bolt with a fine screw driver, thread the nut on, then put vise grips on the nut, then climb back underneath and snug the nut with a socket on a couple extensions and a ratchet.
Then repeat for the upper left hand bolt.
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harleyelf wrote:
If you need clearance, drive the two right wheels up on a curb (natures jackstand).

It is awesome how curbs just grow there naturally.

reminds me of how this was kinda a scarey picture for me when I was a kid
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Major Woody
Samba Enigma

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will try raising the bus up a few inches more and try again tonight.

I don't want to have to dig through the parts list for this answer--are there supposed to be washers under the nuts? Mine had none--just D-head bolts and nuts.

Thanks for the words of encouragement.
peaceful warrior
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Major Woody wrote:
I will try raising the bus up a few inches more and try again tonight.

I don't want to have to dig through the parts list for this answer--are there supposed to be washers under the nuts? Mine had none--just D-head bolts and nuts.

Thanks for the words of encouragement.

No washer
TOOB Member #15
Brian
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never seen a washer under that starter/mount bolt/nut. But I have seen them on the two bottom mount nuts. These were on engines that appeared to have been original, and possibly never previously removed form the car.

If you have the later style D-bolt, and a 12 volt starter, I think you may have to loosen the lower starter mounting bolt to give enough clearance for the long bolt to pass through. As I recall, it will not go through with the starter bolted up tight. the bolt head hits the outer starter casing, and prevents the bolt from fitting through the hole.

I like to use some plumber's putty under the head of the D-bolt to hold it in place while I start the nut from the engine compartment. Then a ratcheting box end 17mm to finish it off.
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyones a critic.

cdennisg wrote:

I like to use some plumber's putty under the head of the D-bolt to hold it in place while I start the nut from the engine compartment. Then a ratcheting box end 17mm to finish it off.

good advice. I like to clean the threads on that bolt if its old so it will thread easily once it's pushed through.

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like to use washers under the nuts.

I've never had to loosen up the lower starter nut to fit the upper starter bolt.
I did have a bus where I had to make sure the upper left bolt was through before I snugged the lower nuts.
It was only that one bus, but it was definately like that.

As you put that starter bolt in place, hug your transmission.
It needs love too. Very Happy

Then give your sweetie a hug, cause you'll smell good, like gear oil. Laughing
Major Woody
Samba Enigma

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh.
I found after snugging the lower nuts that the upper left bolt now won't line up with the threaded insert in the case, so I'll need to loosen them anyway. I'll put washers on them at that time, just because.
Somehow I misplaced that cap screw, too. M10 X 7cm...hope they have those at the hardware store. Confused
quartermilecamel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put rtv under the head of the D nut, and some on the nut shaft. When its broken loose next time, it didnt have the ease of sliding out when I tried to nut it. Really havnt put any on that bolt since. Theres still enough rtv to make it have a rubbery grip on its suroundings.
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yall are a lot smarter than one of the previous owners of my truck. I can't think why else they would have done this
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: