Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Refreshing a DVDA or SVDA distributor - my photographic tale
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1500king wrote:

I don't understand that...

It is not the dimple/no dimple that determines max advance. It is the step in the arm that stops it and the peg that stops too much retard.

Was it a new vac can that you bought?

I have several various genuine new ones here, all different bus DVDA cans, not one of them has a dimple and the advance stops when the step in the arm reaches the housing. The only way you would get an over-advance is if the arm has pounded through the sheet metal at the can mount on a used can. Rolling Eyes

Have had absolutely no issues with genuine Bosch new cans and running them up on the distributor machine.

But..but..buuutt.....(at least in the 205Q) the advance stops before any part of that arm contacts anything, that tapered cutout isn't a reliable stop either as it would rely on the shape of the taper as well the breaker plate side bracket to be perfectly accurate every time, I can't imagine any German engineer relying on that when there's so many potential variables. The dimpled ones show a much lower vacuum advance range opposed to the non dimpled ones on the Oldvolks site and I'm convinced the dimple is the reason but I've been wrong before.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is interesting. I wonder, is it do to the weight of the bus or the cam profile?

Adv=Advance Ret= Vacuum Retard

71 Beetle
Advance/Retard Range: Vacuum: 9-12deg Adv, 11-13deg Ret; Centrifugal: 6-12deg @ 1500rpm, Total 22-25deg @ 3800rpm

71 Bus
Advance/Retard Range: Vacuum: 2-5deg Adv, 11-13deg Ret; Centrifugal: 12-16deg @ 2200rpm, Total 22-25deg @ 3800rpm
1500king
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
1500king wrote:

It is not the dimple/no dimple that determines max advance. It is the step in the arm that stops it and the peg that stops too much retard.

I have several various genuine new ones here, all different bus DVDA cans, not one of them has a dimple and the advance stops when the step in the arm reaches the housing. The only way you would get an over-advance is if the arm has pounded through the sheet metal at the can mount on a used can. Rolling Eyes

Have had absolutely no issues with genuine Bosch new cans and running them up on the distributor machine.

But..but..buuutt.....(at least in the 205Q) the advance stops before any part of that arm contacts anything, that tapered cutout isn't a reliable stop either as it would rely on the shape of the taper as well the breaker plate side bracket to be perfectly accurate every time, I can't imagine any German engineer relying on that when there's so many potential variables. The dimpled ones show a much lower vacuum advance range opposed to the non dimpled ones on the Oldvolks site and I'm convinced the dimple is the reason but I've been wrong before.

Of course!! The Indemnity clause!!

"but I've been wrong before"...PMSL!!

The taper in the arm serves NO purpose, you are looking at the wrong area..

A sloppy red "x"marks where you should be looking;

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
1500king
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tcash wrote:
That is interesting. I wonder, is it do to the weight of the bus or the cam profile?

71 Beetle
Advance/Retard Range: Vacuum: 9-12deg Adv, 11-13deg Ret; Centrifugal: 6-12deg @ 1500rpm, Total 22-25deg @ 3800rpm

71 Bus
Advance/Retard Range: Vacuum: 2-5deg Adv, 11-13deg Ret; Centrifugal: 12-16deg @ 2200rpm, Total 22-25deg @ 3800rpm

In a nutshell,

The motor is under more load in a bus. Therefore, the throttle valves will be open more, less manifold vacuum due to it and the inlet mixture will be more dense. The dense mixture, when fired, will produce the thrust on the piston faster. You therefore need to ignite the mixture later to produce the correct thrust at the crown of the piston just after TDC(the ignition will be before TDC, but the peak thrust will occur after in a normal combustion situation).

When in light cruise, the mixture is sparse(not lean), takes longer to produce the thrust on the piston during burn, therefore needs to be ignited earlier...

There is more to it when comparing bug and bus, but the timing difference and the difference in carb spec go a long way and you are onto it! Very Happy
1500king
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tcash wrote:
Hi 1500, see if you have one of these cans.

Thanks to;http://www.oldvolkshome.com/ignition.htm

[/img]

Yep, sure do! 1237121853 Wink

1500king
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tcash wrote:
Hi 1500, see if you have one of these cans.

Thanks to;http://www.oldvolkshome.com/ignition.htm

[/img]

If you are looking for a Non smogged(non US) 1600 bus distributor that works well, then you need to find the 211905205S 71-73 dizzy, with the "461" vac can. You need to also find the right carb for it. This one is the "global", non smogged model, one you will not find on "old Volks Home".

The 461 vac can is hard to find, they can be reconditioned with new diaphragms, so do not throw them away!

Anyways...He did a great job for his first distributor build!! Well done! more people should be doing it.
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the comments, always appreciated. I drove a 1800 semi-flawless mile trip on it last summer, and when I got back this started happening:

Link

I timed the engine to 28* hoses off, and the idle fell at 5*atdc (exactly within spec.) Once the engine idled for a few seconds, the timing would drop drastically to about 20-30*atdc. The bus drove fine if you started it and got it driving in gear before the timing dropped. Brick wall

I havne't messed with it since, I've been driving with a Mallory Unilite programmed to give a 205Q-like curve without the idle retard.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
1500king
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
Thanks for the comments, always appreciated. I drove a 1800 semi-flawless mile trip on it last summer, and when I got back this started happening:

Link

I timed the engine to 28* hoses off, and the idle fell at 5*atdc (exactly within spec.) Once the engine idled for a few seconds, the timing would drop drastically to about 20-30*atdc. The bus drove fine if you started it and got it driving in gear before the timing dropped. Brick wall

I havne't messed with it since, I've been driving with a Mallory Unilite programmed to give a 205Q-like curve without the idle retard.

Forget all that max timing shite...you've been led up the garden path with SVDA methodology and tricks.

With that distributor, you need to calibrate the carb throttle valve to VW spec- this is important to ensure the throttle valve is at the right spot for the advance side vac port, then @ 800-900rpm, time the distributor WITH EVERYTHING CONNECTED to 5 degrees ATDC(to the left of the TDC mark).

Needs to be set engine at operating temp, throttle at idle stop(no fast idle influence).

You also need to have the right carb that was designed for the DVDA..

Factory manual info and curve below...

Smile
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

im completely lost on this right now. sadly, i think ill have to be rebuilding my dizzy here soon again...i suspect its causing me issues and i want it rock solid.

2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDi 6 speed manual

206-841-7324
[email protected]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1500king wrote:

Forget all that max timing shite...you've been led up the garden path with SVDA methodology and tricks.

With that distributor, you need to calibrate the carb throttle valve to VW spec- this is important to ensure the throttle valve is at the right spot for the advance side vac port, then @ 800-900rpm, time the distributor WITH EVERYTHING CONNECTED to 5 degrees ATDC(to the left of the TDC mark).

Needs to be set engine at operating temp, throttle at idle stop(no fast idle influence).

You also need to have the right carb that was designed for the DVDA..

Factory manual info and curve below...
Smile

Even if I didn't have the idle and carb set exactly by the book (which I did) or have the engine at operating temp (which I did) or have the factory manual curve chart (which I did) you could see that something is not mechanically sound in my distributor. Dropping 20-30* with no change on the vacuum gauge from either hose is unacceptable, and I'm curious to what you think the problem is.

(For what it's worth, checking a distributor's maximum advance without a distributor machine can ONLY be done by removing the hoses and noting the base timing, then the advance at given RPMs. There is merit in this, but not as much if you have the fancy test equipment.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1500king wrote:
busdaddy wrote:
1500king wrote:

Alright, I had another look and I concede that that notch does seem to stop the advance as well (I have yet to find my box of nos and used cans for a full test of almost all style units), but how do you explain the fact that the dimple is only found on can's with restricted vacuum advance range?, perhaps it's a double safety feature?. And then there's the Bosch #917 can with the screw in the end, the screw is conveniently placed in the very same spot the bottom of that dimple would be yet it's adjustable, I suspect on preset cans the dimple aids in the stopping to save stress on other parts like the diaphragm and arm, either way the dimple is the first thing I look for in the boxes at the swaps and it has yet to fail me.

As for the not setting the timing for max advance I agree but at the same time have issues with the theory, partly because the average somewhat non mechanical type isn't going to have any of the equipment required to accomplish such a task and partly because between the age of the parts and the mixing due to good looking used replacements with different base numbers the odds of actually having all the correct stuff is almost zero. Max advance is still better than blindly setting to idle retard in the 21'st century IMO unless you have all the equipment to calibrate and measure, out of the question for hippydude surfer in his driveway while his girlfriend keeps saying "are you done?, can we go to the beach now"?......

I'm not trying to start a battle here but I am obsessed with discovering the entire truth, I'm not afraid to admit I'm wrong, are you?

BTW here's a #917 can to save you looking it up:

Found in this thread thanks to RayGreenwood:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3...mp;start=0

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
Desertbusman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The absolute bottom line is that when you are cruising down the highway you want the timing correct. And the more you are in the throttle the more important it is. Idle is one thing and getting up from idle to cruise naturally is important also but not nearly as much as under load at your cruise RPM where power demand and heat production is at the max.
udidwht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1500king wrote:
Tcash wrote:

71 Beetle

71 Bus

In a nutshell,

The motor is under more load in a bus. Therefore, the throttle valves will be open more, less manifold vacuum due to it and the inlet mixture will be more dense. The dense mixture, when fired, will produce the thrust on the piston faster. You therefore need to ignite the mixture later to produce the correct thrust at the crown of the piston just after TDC(the ignition will be before TDC, but the peak thrust will occur after in a normal combustion situation).

When in light cruise, the mixture is sparse(not lean), takes longer to produce the thrust on the piston during burn, therefore needs to be ignited earlier...

There is more to it when comparing bug and bus, but the timing difference and the difference in carb spec go a long way and you are onto it! Very Happy

You mean lean. Light cruise will generally be lean requiring more advance.

In a bus that can weigh 2+ tons ones not likely going to be in light cruise often if at all on the highway.
71mm Stroke
73 Web Cam w/Web solids
Dual 40mm IDF Webers - LM-2 - 47.5 idles/125 mains/190 air corr./F11 tubes/28mm Vents - Float height 10.45mm/Drop 32mm
Bosch SVDA w/Pertronix module (7.5 initial 28 total @ 3400rpm)
Bosch W8CC plugs
Pertronix Flamethrower 40K coil
S&S 4-1 w/Walker QP 17862
3 rib 002 Trans
185R14 Hankook tires
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

udidwht wrote:
1500king wrote:
Tcash wrote:

71 Beetle

71 Bus

In a nutshell,

You mean lean. Light cruise will generally be lean requiring more advance.

In a bus that can weigh 2+ tons ones not likely going to be in light cruise often if at all on the highway.

And that's why a true bus only distributor is more limited in advance as well as how fast it comes on. And as 1500King says the carb also plays a part in the formula.

Слава Україні!
1500king
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
1500king wrote:
busdaddy wrote:
1500king wrote:

Alright, I had another look and I concede that that notch does seem to stop the advance as well (I have yet to find my box of nos and used cans for a full test of almost all style units), but how do you explain the fact that the dimple is only found on can's with restricted vacuum advance range?, perhaps it's a double safety feature?. And then there's the Bosch #917 can with the screw in the end, the screw is conveniently placed in the very same spot the bottom of that dimple would be yet it's adjustable, I suspect on preset cans the dimple aids in the stopping to save stress on other parts like the diaphragm and arm, either way the dimple is the first thing I look for in the boxes at the swaps and it has yet to fail me.

As for the not setting the timing for max advance I agree but at the same time have issues with the theory, partly because the average somewhat non mechanical type isn't going to have any of the equipment required to accomplish such a task and partly because between the age of the parts and the mixing due to good looking used replacements with different base numbers the odds of actually having all the correct stuff is almost zero. Max advance is still better than blindly setting to idle retard in the 21'st century IMO unless you have all the equipment to calibrate and measure, out of the question for hippydude surfer in his driveway while his girlfriend keeps saying "are you done?, can we go to the beach now"?......

I'm not trying to start a battle here but I am obsessed with discovering the entire truth, I'm not afraid to admit I'm wrong, are you?

BTW here's a #917 can to save you looking it up:

Found in this thread thanks to RayGreenwood:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3...mp;start=0

Yeah, I'm a bit different, I look at the part number. Dual vac "851" vac can doesn't have a dimple, but that is for a 1971 113905205AJ distributor...It is not any other spec for any other distributor.

Smile

When we chat about these types of things, I hope to encourage that people get a better understanding of their ignition systems.

It's all good! Smile and more than happy to be corrected if/when I need to be.

Yep, read that thread....Tram is on the money 100% . No more said. If you are having to jump through hoops to time your engine instead of getting it right with the factory procedure, then you have an issue with your ignition/vac signal from the carb. You will either have a fault or the incorrect spec parts on your engine...if it is out of spec, fix it...period...which brings me to my next point....that "917" vac can.

You mean this one below? If you have any doubts about the pic, I can write a greeting on the box if you like!! Laughing

IMHO, without looking at the part number on the distributor, that looks like the incorrect distributor for the vac can. It doesn't look like a 0231 174 007 which is the last 1700 Porsche 914 D-Jet distributor, just for you lads over in the Americas with all the smog equipment hanging off of ur engines!.

The Porsche 914 that we had over here was the 85Hp "AN" code 1800 engine with the dual solex 36-40 PDSIT's and 8.0:1 CR....oh and svda(a type 4 one)!

My suspicion on that adjustment, as it is the very last smogged up 1700 Type 4 vac can would be to limit exhaust HC's and CO when tuning through the motors life as manifold vacuum changes.

Wouldn't surprise me if it was a fix just to sell the car in California as the Authorities were emissions crazy back then(and still are?).

I'm sure that Tram knows...he is the D-Jet king! Smile
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi 1500, just to confirm. The 853 you have, does not have the dimple in it?
Thank You
Tcash
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 12:21 pm    Post subject: timing drop Reply with quote

Hi asiab3, while reviewing your pics, I discovered this one. This may be causing your weight to hang up. Best test is to pull a vacuum on it and watch the rotor and see if it rebounds smoothly when you release the vacuum. You may find that the rotor comes to a stop and them suddenly snaps back.
This can be performed with your fingers, but you run the risk of false results do to moving it with mechanical forces being applied.
Hope this helps.

Edit; Just had a thought. It may require using your fingers to advance it past the sticky part.

airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 8:46 pm    Post subject: Re: timing drop Reply with quote

Tcash wrote:
Hi asiab3, while reviewing your pics, I discovered this one. This may be causing your weight to hang up. Best test is to pull a vacuum on it and watch the rotor and see if it rebounds smoothly when you release the vacuum. You may find that the rotor comes to a stop and them suddenly snaps back.
This can be performed with your fingers, but you run the risk of false results do to moving it with mechanical forces being applied.
Hope this helps.

Edit; Just had a thought. It may require using your fingers to advance it past the sticky part.

Pulling vacuum on either port does not move the rotor- so I don't see how that would be related. There is no sticky part in the vacuum advance mechanism, the plate rotates smoothly and sucking on either vacuum port moves the points plate appropriately.

Twisting and snap-releasing the rotor gives a super smooth return, exactly like my brand new Mallory. It might not look like it, but I am letting it release between each hand-advance. The advance springs just work really well. No snag either- that cosmetic blemish was taken care of with a polishing cloth last year…

Link

The distributor falls to 5-10atdc during idle when timed 28-30btdc hoses off, only after a few seconds does it fall to 20-30atdc.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 9:25 pm    Post subject: Re: timing drop Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
The distributor falls to 5-10atdc during idle when timed 28-30btdc hoses off, only after a few seconds does it fall to 20-30atdc.

What happens if you disconnect the vaccum lines and cap them?
Edit:
Oh wait, just re read the part about hoses off already Shocked
Seems to me like you've got some missing bushings or springs in the mechanial advance mechanism even though it seemingly feels smooth.
or does the bonus retard only happen when it's all connected up normally?

Слава Україні!
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya screwed that one up. Vacuum moves the plate. The only thing that I can think of that would cause your symptoms is the advance hanging up. Or maybe a vacuum leak.
Does that make sense
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7

Jump to: