Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Refreshing a DVDA or SVDA distributor - my photographic tale
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: Refreshing a DVDA or SVDA distributor - my photographic tale Reply with quote

Looks like it'd be adjustable to me, when installed varying the length of that stop would allow more or less advance as that sloped section of the arm contacted it.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: Refreshing a DVDA or SVDA distributor - my photographic tale Reply with quote

Note the pin on the adjustment screw is not centered. So as you turn the screw is moves the pin toward and away from the actuating arm stop. It would allow you to limit the total vacuum retard advance.
Tcash

Thanks for the pix. What are you shooting them with?

edited
Tcash

Last edited by Tcash on Fri Feb 19, 2016 5:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: Refreshing a DVDA or SVDA distributor - my photographic Reply with quote

dasdachshund wrote:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

SEXY!! Applause

-dasdachshund

That's a VERY different vacuum-advance canister, to the one which was factory-fitted to my dual-port, 1973 VW 1600 Type 2, AD-series engine! Shocked

Nigel A. Skeet

Independent tutor (semi-retired) of mathematics, physics, technology & engineering for secondary, tertiary, further & higher education.

Much modified, RHD 1973 VW "1600" Type 2 Westfalia Continental campervan, with the World's only decent, cross-over-arm, SWF pantograph rear-window wiper

Onetime member, plus former Technical Editor & Editor of Transporter Talk magazine
Volkswagen Type 2 Owners' Club (Great Britain)

http://www.vwt2oc.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Refreshing a DVDA or SVDA distributor - my photographic Reply with quote

NASkeet wrote:
dasdachshund wrote:
[img]

SEXY!! Applause

-dasdachshund

That's a VERY different vacuum-advance canister, to the one which was factory-fitted to my dual-port, 1973 VW 1600 Type 2, AD-series engine! Shocked

Thanks dasdachshund!

Nigel, I'm not surprised it looks different. With all the different emissions regulations going on from the late sixties through mid seventies, it's a maze of distributor and carburetor options for us. Is your bus equipped with a dual vacuum distributor?

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Refreshing a DVDA or SVDA distributor - my photographic tale Reply with quote

About 1980 VW changed the dual advance mechanisms that were sold as replacements by the dealer. If you bought one from VW in 1976 it was identical to the old one. If you bought one about 1980 it came with a set of instructions and an allen wrench. You found the distributor can model you needed on the instruction list where it gave a number of turns. You put the allen wrench through the vacuum nipple and turned it to that number of turns off the stop. I do not know if they were always this way and VW stopped setting them at the factory, or if this was a one part fits all device. I bought one of these and remember asking the Econo parts manager (a friend) show me that the fiche called out for this weird set it yourself model. It did show that it had superseded the original part.
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Refreshing a DVDA or SVDA distributor - my photographic tale Reply with quote

I was just looking at this old 853 vacuum can again. If you look at the pictures of the adjustment screw, it appears to have been locked by brazing it at the adjustment threads.

I think SG Kent is probably on point. It may have been a "one size fits all" can though I still question how much adjustment it really had? The cut outs on the vacuum arm appear to only move so much before they would bottom out against either the peg or the back of the vacuum can body..

I tested this used can and shockingly, it only holds vacuum on advance as the retard section is blown. I may carefully disassemble it and see what the material is inside.

I circled the areas where the arm stops hit.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Refreshing a DVDA or SVDA distributor - my photographic tale Reply with quote

So the advance is fixed and the adjuster is for the retard only, interesting. If you clean it up is there any marks on that adjuster like 1-2-3 or something?, different years used different amounts of retard, it's likely as SGK suggests one adjustable part to replace many preset ones.

And yes Nigel, you guys may have a rediculous amount of laws and regulations, but at least you didn't have to deal with smog equipment too.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Refreshing a DVDA or SVDA distributor - my photographic tale Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
So the advance is fixed and the adjuster is for the retard only, interesting. If you clean it up is there any marks on that adjuster like 1-2-3 or something?, different years used different amounts of retard, it's likely as SGK suggests one adjustable part to replace many preset ones.

And yes Nigel, you guys may have a rediculous amount of laws and regulations, but at least you didn't have to deal with smog equipment too.

As I recall, the one I had was adjustable on the retard side only thru the vacuum nipple. The allen screw was hidden from view inside the unit. All may be like that, I have always wondered. Maybe Bosch simply tweaked the retard side before packaging the original units. This would mean someone could take an advance can that was similar on the advance side but different on the retard side and make it like another unit.

Like this. Imagine the black L is an allen wrench,

NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 7:01 am    Post subject: Re: Refreshing a DVDA or SVDA distributor - my photographic Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
NASkeet wrote:
dasdachshund wrote:
[img]

SEXY!! Applause

-dasdachshund

Thanks dasdachshund!

Nigel, I'm not surprised it looks different. With all the different emissions regulations going on from the late sixties through mid seventies, it's a maze of distributor and carburetor options for us. Is your bus equipped with a dual vacuum distributor?

Robbie

My 1973 VW 1600 Type 2, AD-Series engine was equipped with a single-vacuum distributor.

I don't think there were any British specification, 1968~79 VW 1600 Type 2 engines or 1972~79 VW 17/18/2000 Type 2 engines, which were equipped with dual-vacuum distributors.

Nigel A. Skeet

Independent tutor (semi-retired) of mathematics, physics, technology & engineering for secondary, tertiary, further & higher education.

Much modified, RHD 1973 VW "1600" Type 2 Westfalia Continental campervan, with the World's only decent, cross-over-arm, SWF pantograph rear-window wiper

Onetime member, plus former Technical Editor & Editor of Transporter Talk magazine
Volkswagen Type 2 Owners' Club (Great Britain)

http://www.vwt2oc.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tasb
The Distributor Distributor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 9:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Refreshing a DVDA or SVDA distributor - my photographic tale Reply with quote

The correct for NAm distributor for a manual trans 1973 bus would have been an 043 905 205 J distributor which was a DVDA unit. It would look very much like the above.

1965 hardtop Deluxe Microbus owned since 1990 M 620 factory 12 v 1500cc

1961 (October)Single Cab- Road Trip Workhorse
Peabody
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Refreshing a DVDA or SVDA distributor - my photographic tale Reply with quote

I have the small washers that go under the weights as well as the shaft "fiber shim" washers. I also have access to order the bushing that goes over the shaft to space the weights correctly (It's expensive unless we get a bunch of them and it doesn't seem to break easily but does appear to wear according to my measurements). I also have metal shims in .006" and .012" thickness for the axial shaft play.

Let me know if there's any interest in these. Thanks
'74 Westy (parts)
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Refreshing a DVDA or SVDA distributor - my photographic tale Reply with quote

Peabody wrote:
I have the small washers that go under the weights as well as the shaft "fiber shim" washers. I also have access to order the bushing that goes over the shaft to space the weights correctly (It's expensive unless we get a bunch of them and it doesn't seem to break easily but does appear to wear according to my measurements). I also have metal shims in .006" and .012" thickness for the axial shaft play.

Do you have a picture of this bushing? I'd be curious as I can't think of which one this is?

Are these original Bosch parts BTW?

Thanks for sharing.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Peabody
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 6:35 am    Post subject: Re: Refreshing a DVDA or SVDA distributor - my photographic tale Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:
Peabody wrote:

Do you have a picture of this bushing? I'd be curious as I can't think of which one this is?

Are these original Bosch parts BTW?

Thanks for sharing.

Bill,

The bushing/washer you're asking about is the thin-walled "ring" one around the main shaft in the picture below

These are not original Bosch parts. I have measured, sourced, installed, and tested (short term for now) these gaskets and found them to work great. I have used the same or similar materials as the original. I will soon be working on dismantling other distributors to find out if any of these washers are used in them also.

I got tired of China distributors and had quite a few aluminum body distributors laying around so I thought I'd rebuild them. Broke a few of the fiber washers and didn't have enough shim options so here we are. I am a machine designer who has access to a variety of distributors (the kind that distribute product, not spark) that are willing to bend over backwards for our business so I have been able to source these parts from someone other than Bosch (who I don't feel has the quality they once had anyway) who thinks their washers are made of gold.

I'll say again: I am in no way pawning these off as original or new old stock. Simply an adequate replacement for old, brittle parts of our distributors.
'74 Westy (parts)
tasb
The Distributor Distributor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: Refreshing a DVDA or SVDA distributor - my photographic tale Reply with quote

McMaster Carr has been my friend for years.

1965 hardtop Deluxe Microbus owned since 1990 M 620 factory 12 v 1500cc

1961 (October)Single Cab- Road Trip Workhorse
surfbus23
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I'm running into the same problem Robbie had. My distributors are having trouble resetting to what I will call the home position. That is if I set it to 7.5* BTDC one it revs up a bit it doesn't return to 7.5* but rather something like 10-11*.

I have two distributors, an 009 and a 205S for a bus that I refreshed and everything is well greased and oiled. They have not mechanical issues outside of the bus but once I test play in the bus it does exactly as happens in Robbie's video below. If I advance the rotor it springs back but not back to where it started. I have to manually go back the rest of the way. If I turn the engine off it will also reset itself properly.

Robbie suggested that his was fixed by adjusting his spring. That didn't seem to do anything for me. Does anyone have any ideas about how to solve this?

Thanks!

asiab3 wrote:
Alright, so I tried feel-checking the mechanical advance with the distributor indexed in the engine instead of on the bench, and there was a bit of resistance in the retard direction that my fingers could nudge it past. This was NOT the same as out of the engine:

Link

Apologies if the video is "still processing"…
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Refreshing a DVDA or SVDA distributor - my photographic tale Reply with quote

Hi surfbus23,

I'm sorry I can't help more, but that solution was ultimately washed out with new parts. It was a combination of excess distributor drive gear end-play, excess crankshaft end-play, and my need to get to work every day on time looking sharp. Wink This is not likely to be your problem unless you had a DVDA like a 205Q. (I'm assuming your 205S is in a fuel injected Type 4 engine as well?)

When fully warmed up, can get your 205S idle reliably at 600-700 RPM while timed to 7.5° BTDC with the hose disconnected? This will establish a base line timing map, where anything that happens above it can be traced.

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
surfbus23
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:59 am    Post subject: Re: Refreshing a DVDA or SVDA distributor - my photographic tale Reply with quote

I've got a 2.0L with dual Weber IDF 40s, so the 205S/205P seemed the closest I could get.

Yes. I can get it to idle reliably, but keeping it at 7.5° is my problem. It's not like it jumps around. Just if it gets enough RPM to advance it will then have trouble returning to 7.5°. I found when I was out tuning today that advance was kicking in and throwing off the timing. I'll try keeping it at a lower RPM in the morning and see if that keeps the 7.5° in place for a LBI tune. I anticipate some idle weirdness though as I drive around and it only comes back to 11°.

I'm also going to check the linkage in the morning.
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:06 am    Post subject: Re: Refreshing a DVDA or SVDA distributor - my photographic tale Reply with quote

surfbus23 wrote:
I've got a 2.0L with dual Weber IDF 40s, so the 205S/205P seemed the closest I could get.

Yes. I can get it to idle reliably, but keeping it at 7.5° is my problem. It's not like it jumps around. Just if it gets enough RPM to advance it will then have trouble returning to 7.5°. I found when I was out tuning today that advance was kicking in and throwing off the timing. I'll try keeping it at a lower RPM in the morning and see if that keeps the 7.5° in place for a LBI tune. I anticipate some idle weirdness though as I drive around and it only comes back to 11°.

I'm also going to check the linkage in the morning.

The 205S is a great distributor but it must be fully disassembled, inspected, cleaned and then lubricated if it hasn't already. 99% of the distributors I restore bind up in some spots due to lack of lubrication after 40 plus years since being manufactured.

Are you running this 205S with the vacuum canister connected? Dual Webers in most cases don't provide enough ported vacuum to actuate that vacuum canister fully.

Peabody
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:26 am    Post subject: Re: Refreshing a DVDA or SVDA distributor - my photographic tale Reply with quote

I agree with Bill. Your sticky area of the rotation is likely due to friction in the rotating assembly of the advance plate. Take it apart again and make sure everything is clean and lubed (don't use too much lube). Make sure everything moves nice and smooth. Then ensure the springs return the timing plate to it's home position without help. If they don't you may want to source replacement springs (not sure if the part number is the same from model to model so check on that when sourcing).

I'm not sure how Robbie's distributor advance plate could behave differently while installed in the bus other than binding of the shaft due to play in the housing bushings that the shaft rotates in. If the shaft has some misalignment due to the play I can see the load of the drive gear causing the tile of the distributor shaft causing the advance plate to be tilted and having more force (friction) on one side.

Pull the distributor and wiggle it around and see what you find. I'm curious.
'74 Westy (parts)
surfbus23
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:04 am    Post subject: Re: Refreshing a DVDA or SVDA distributor - my photographic tale Reply with quote

Well... won't be testing this one out any more. I felt pretty confident in how well it was lubed up, but I remembered that the bushings did sort of bind when I went to push it in last time. The idiot that I am I was tapping it out and it wasn't going so I gave it a harder wack. It was caught on the lips of the housing and I bent it over. Will I ever learn. But here's a picture to show that it WAS nice and clean and well lubed. Now it's just a piece of junk. Crying or Very sad

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: