Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts  See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com
 
Accelerator Problem spring / sleeve causing higher RPM
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Print View
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
NCdad
Samba Member


Joined: August 28, 2008
Posts: 1458
Location: Shelby, NC
NCdad is offline 

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:17 pm    Post subject: Accelerator Problem spring / sleeve causing higher RPM Reply with quote

INFO: 1964 Bug 40 hp 28 pict-1

Trying to figure this out:
My accelerator cable sleeve seems to ride on the carb throttle arm, causing it to stick and higher RPM's

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.


I checked the Gallery to see if there was another pic of one, and found this one. I noticed that there is a cap on the end of the return sleeve.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.


Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.


I guess this is the part I need, but not quite sure how it hooks up or works in conjunction with the sleeve / spring?

Does the thick part of the cable wedge in that gap?

how does the sleeve not push the cap up the cable?

Here is the part:
http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=113129909
_________________
ROBERT
My VWs & Projects - | - German Invasion VW Show - Sept 07, 2019 Shelby, NC
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jhoefer
Samba Member


Joined: May 19, 2011
Posts: 987

jhoefer is offline 

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The solid tip is swaged on the end of the cable. The slot in that cap is just large enough to fit around the cable, but not around the solid tip so the cap can't move past that point. The dish in the cap and the spring tension hold the cap in place.

But it also looks like your cable might be a bit too long; it looks like you're mounted almost at the bottom end of the cable end. I don't know if you'll gain enough of a gap between the sleeve and throttle arm even if you add that cap.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Classifieds Feedback
NCdad
Samba Member


Joined: August 28, 2008
Posts: 1458
Location: Shelby, NC
NCdad is offline 

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!
the other photo above was from a '62 bug, so I know it is a shorter cable ( 89.3")
where the one I have is 104.3"




looking at the wolfsburg west one, it seems to be one of the longest for a bug.

http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=111721555C

I looked at a '63 which was shorter, but my chassis number came after it.

http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=111721335
_________________
ROBERT
My VWs & Projects - | - German Invasion VW Show - Sept 07, 2019 Shelby, NC
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jhoefer
Samba Member


Joined: May 19, 2011
Posts: 987

jhoefer is offline 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, if you don't want to change the cable, you could add a second barrel nut further down the cable to act as the stop for the sleeve. Just set it back far enough to avoid interference with the throttle linkage. http://www.pacificcustoms.com/129777311.html
Hardware store will probably have them as well.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Classifieds Feedback
wayne1230cars
Samba Member


Joined: April 05, 2010
Posts: 2388
Location: Canada
wayne1230cars is offline 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NCdad wrote:
Thanks!
the other photo above was from a '62 bug, so I know it is a shorter cable ( 89.3")
where the one I have is 104.3"




looking at the wolfsburg west one, it seems to be one of the longest for a bug.

http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=111721555C

I looked at a '63 which was shorter, but my chassis number came after it.

http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=111721335


The first link that you posted should be the accelerator cable that fits your beetle. The second link that you posted is for a clutch cable. The accelerator cable for the 66-71 bugs was about 23 mm shorter. Is your pedal cluster original?

I would order the spring seat retainer and see how the cable then adjusts. BTW those retainers are small and easily dropped and lost. Ordering a spare might not be a bad idea. Always a good idea to also have a spare accelerator cable once you are certain you have the correct length for your car.
_________________
1960 beetle
1970 beetle convertible
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eric&Barb
Samba Member


Joined: September 19, 2004
Posts: 20749
Location: Olympia Wash Rinse & Repeat
Eric&Barb is offline 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also do you have the accelerator cable boden tube??

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=400171&highlight=accelerator+boden+tube

That tube with correct length can slightly shorten the stock length cable.
_________________
In Stereo, Where Available!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NCdad
Samba Member


Joined: August 28, 2008
Posts: 1458
Location: Shelby, NC
NCdad is offline 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jhoefer wrote:
Well, if you don't want to change the cable, you could add a second barrel nut further down the cable to act as the stop for the sleeve. Just set it back far enough to avoid interference with the throttle linkage. http://www.pacificcustoms.com/129777311.html
Hardware store will probably have them as well.


Nice, thanks!
I was thinking of modifying a washer for the sleeve to ride against for a temporary fix, as it will take a few days to get over here to the east coast.

Quote:
The first link that you posted should be the accelerator cable that fits your beetle. The second link that you posted is for a clutch cable. The accelerator cable for the 66-71 bugs was about 23 mm shorter. Is your pedal cluster original?


Embarassed
yes, as far as I know, the pedals are the originals.



Eric&Barb wrote:
Also do you have the accelerator cable boden tube??

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=400171&highlight=accelerator+boden+tube

That tube with correct length can slightly shorten the stock length cable.


No I don't have a boden tube for the acc. cable.
thought they were used starting in '66
_________________
ROBERT
My VWs & Projects - | - German Invasion VW Show - Sept 07, 2019 Shelby, NC
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eric&Barb
Samba Member


Joined: September 19, 2004
Posts: 20749
Location: Olympia Wash Rinse & Repeat
Eric&Barb is offline 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NCdad wrote:

No I don't have a boden tube for the acc. cable.
thought they were used starting in '66


As in the link, AUG1960 was start of that part in our VWs.
_________________
In Stereo, Where Available!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

About | Help! | Advertise | Donate | Premium Membership | Privacy/Terms of Use | Contact Us | Site Map
Copyright © 1996-2018, Everett Barnes. All Rights Reserved.
Not affiliated with or sponsored by Volkswagen of America | Forum powered by phpBB