Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Type 3 Original wheels and hubcap compatibility
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yabbadubbadoo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 6:34 pm    Post subject: Type 3 Original wheels and hubcap compatibility Reply with quote

Trying to work out what caps go with what wheels. Also what hubcaps might be interchangeable (OG or aftermarket) with type 3 OG steel wheels.
I'm wanting info mainly on wide 5 smoothy rims but it would also help to understand the 4 stud wheel and cap combinations.
I kinda know the original caps for wide 5 have inverted logo and are relatively flat looking but they're as rare as rocking horse sh#t. So I want to know if there are any other options. I saw one fastback using what appeared to be early Beetle dome caps on smoothy rims and it looked great but I didn't think they have the right clip design to work on type 3 rims so I assume they were probably beetle rims. Can anyone confirm this?
If you have info or pics please shed some light on this subject? I actually really like the look of full dome caps with vw logo like early beetles and karmann ghias. They are also easier to find than type 3 OG caps cause there seems to be a number of reproductions available. FYI, I've been looking for 10 months to get a full set of original flat type 3 caps in mint condition but that is wishful thinking.
If you've got any pics of cool looking hub cap combinations on OG type 3 wheels please post them up with description of what we're looking at!!!!!
Cheers,
Paolo
ALLWAGONS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Paolo,

You can use '66-'67 bug hubcaps on early type 3 rims. The only difference you will notice is that the logo is an outie instead of an innie, and the gap between the cap and the rim is too wide to hold a beauty ring in place.

Perfect example of an outie ('66-"67)
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

an early hubcap

Aftermarket hubcap for type 3

I recycle old cars and parts, other than when I rot, that's as Green as I am going to get.

Thanks to my Tesla driving neighbors, I feel more relaxed driving my SUBURBAN and old VW's.

NON INFLUENCER APPROVED
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Yabbadubbadoo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the detailed reply. Great info there. Very helpful.

So do these not fit?

I saw this photo and it got me confused.

Admittedly I can't see whether it has the logo but the profile of the cap resembles the early beetle caps. Does anyone know what this wheel/cap combo is?. I like the profile of these full high dome caps and hope to find some with proper VW logos like the above beetle rim that will fit the type 3 smoothy rim.
ALLWAGONS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any wide five wheel will fit.

Type 3 wheels don't have clips, just small bumps on the actual rim that's why you have use the flat type with the lip. Bug and bus wheels have clips and you can use the moon caps.

I recycle old cars and parts, other than when I rot, that's as Green as I am going to get.

Thanks to my Tesla driving neighbors, I feel more relaxed driving my SUBURBAN and old VW's.

NON INFLUENCER APPROVED
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vdubjiunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 7:17 am    Post subject: Re: Type 3 Original wheels and hubcap compatibility Reply with quote

So, I see that T1 ‘66 - ‘67 caps “fit” and I’ve got a set of caps I’ve held on to for years that seem to “fit”, but not especially tightly.

jbugs lists the same range of caps as correct for ‘64 - ‘65 T3, but looking at the cap from the side, I think I would expect to see the “base” of the cap flare back outward after turning in, just below the part of the cap that shows, when installed.

Am I wrong, or are these caps just something that basically works, but aren’t actually designed for use with the T3 wheel?

"It Is Difficult to Get a Man to Understand Something When His Salary Depends Upon His Not Understanding It" - Upton Sinclair
squaretobehip
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: Type 3 Original wheels and hubcap compatibility Reply with quote

There are no new aftermarket early Type 3 hubcaps available.

Follow ISP West on:

Facebook - www.facebook.com/ispwest
Instagram - @ispwest - www.instagram.com/ispwest
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vdubjiunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 3 Original wheels and hubcap compatibility Reply with quote

Does anybody have experience using these aftermarket hubcaps? Do they tend to stay on? I’d hate to spend the money on a set, only to lose them!

"It Is Difficult to Get a Man to Understand Something When His Salary Depends Upon His Not Understanding It" - Upton Sinclair
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: