Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Heat, Noise, Rust. I found it!
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Duncwarw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2003 9:21 am    Post subject: Heat, Noise, Rust. I found it! Reply with quote

Folks,

I don't know if I'm the first, but after a long absence from the web "Heat, Rust, & Noise In VWs" is back! Excellent stuff and, in my humble opinion, a must read. This gentleman has obviously put a lot of work into not only his van, but recording the information and sharing it with the rest of us.

http://yeah-baby.shagadelic.org/VW/info/gmbulley-soundproof/

Cheers!

Paul
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
ratwell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2003 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Find the Hoover Sermons! The cache on google is expiring.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pawesty
Samba Medic

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2003 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PAUL,

THANKS FOR THE NEWS. I'VE BEEN KICKING MYSELF FOR NOT FOLLOWING THAT ADVICE WHEN I FIRST READ IT. NOW THAT PA WINTER IS CREEPIN IN IT'S TIME TO PUT THAT STUFF INTO ACTION.

CHEERS,
DAVE IN PA Laughing

79 westy
78 westy

purveyor of refurbed westies and parts!!! inquire within!

Duncwarw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2003 12:27 pm    Post subject: Interesting Reply with quote

I have never heard of Mr. Hoover OR his sermons but as I'm sure others are aware, Mr. Hoover apparently asked that they be removed from all websites and it appears they have been. I'm impressed! One wonders how he managed to get that level of cooperation.

Paul ('73 nearly road-ready)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Duncwarw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2003 12:42 pm    Post subject: Bulley-Hewlett Reply with quote

Yeah, I actually printed the whole thing when I found it the first time. I gave it to Jon, the engine builder. When their site went down, I stole it back and made a pdf of it. I'm really impressed that this guy put so much into the van and took time to share what he learned. One of the most valuable VW finds to me. Especially since I'm about to work on the heat in my Campmobile. I'm garage-less and racing the weather here in upstate New York.

Koopl Patchin' in New York....
Duncwarw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2003 12:43 pm    Post subject: Bulley-Hewlett Reply with quote

Yeah, I actually printed the whole thing when I found it the first time. I gave it to Jon, the engine builder. When their site went down, I stole it back and made a pdf of it. I'm really impressed that this guy put so much into the van and took time to share what he learned. One of the most valuable VW finds to me. Especially since I'm about to work on the heat in my Campmobile. I'm garage-less and racing the weather here in upstate New York.

Kool Patchin' in New York....
Bottomend
Grease

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2003 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where can I find the Bob Hoover stuff? I have about 15 pages of things I've found and there used to be a great site with a load of things on it but it's gone now. Who was this guy? And whats up with him now?
ratwell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2003 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The sermons used to be located at http://osf02.ktu.edu.tr/~ulutas/hoover/ but they have been gone from that site for about 3 months now.

Bus Depot used to sell a CD with all the Sermons but doesn't anyone. I wish I'd saved more information when I had the chance.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mattcuddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

most of the hoover sermons that, as you mentioned, were most recently located at http://osf02.ktu.edu.tr/~ulutas/hoover/ are archived by the waybackmachine at http://www.archive.org You can go there and view/save them if you wish :) Weather or not this is acceptable or contrary to Bob Hoover's request for them to be taken down is up to you.
McHuntley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course, what I am wondering is why he asked to have them taken down. I wonder what his reasons were?

Thanks,

Matt
ratwell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried http://www.archive.org a while ago and didn't find anything. Can you help me enter the proper search arguments?
mattcuddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"I wonder what his reasons were? "

If I remember right (its been awhile) his personal email was posted along with all his messages, which led to a lot of people emailing him ridiculous questions and criticizing his postings. Guess he just got tired of the unending "useless" emails. If you're just trying to help someone out and you get criticized for it, I can't say I blame him for not wanting to deal with it anymore.

"Can you help me enter the proper search arguments?"
Basically you just go to that page, type in the http:// address in the little box, and then it will give you choices for various dates at which that particular site was archived, you pick one and it will take you to that site as it was at that time. Just realize that not all sites were done and not at every time. Very useful/interesting tool.
More instructions/shortcuts at:
http://web.archive.org/collections/web/advanced.html

As far as http://osf02.ktu.edu.tr/~ulutas/hoover/ goes, well that site never seemed to work right for me, even when it was up and current. So I just got all the stuff from the old type2 site.
Bob D.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or just click here.

Disgusting that Mr. Hoover was getting anything but quiet thanks for his work.
Proud Member #1, SBS (Stock Bus Society)

*Enjoy and appreciate your good health*

We used to play for silver
Now we play for life
mattcuddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

or this for the old type2 site

http://web.archive.org/web/19980124033038/www.type2.com/sermons/[/url]
mattcuddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry, that should be

http://web.archive.org/web/19980124033038/www.type2.com/sermons/

no [/url] at the end

I'll go practice my typing now. :)
ratwell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you. I found a really great Hoover quote in there:

"There are really only two kinds of Volkswagen owners, those who have removed their engine and those who are going to".

Last edited by ratwell on Fri Nov 14, 2003 7:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
KMT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's another great site for information on the stock VW heat.
http://www.wognum.co.uk/heating.html

'68 Panel
'78 Champagne Edition Westfalia
'89 Blue Star
‘90 Hightop TDI Vanagon
'90 AFN TDI Leisuredrive hightop
http://www.highcountrybusfestival.com
Pisgah Bus Rally
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bottomend
Grease

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2003 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I need to replace my long central heat tube. Can I use PVC pipe ? Will I kill myself with harmfull gasses? Any suggestions?
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2003 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will be OK as long as it doesn't burn.

ABS would be better since it has more"give". Wrapping it in insulation would help while you are in there.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bottomend
Grease

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2003 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I plan on wrapping everything in site. I dont know about ABS plastic. What is it usually used for? What kinds of stores have you seen it for sale at? Also, I've heard mention of something R4 or R6 or something like that. What is it?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: