Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

'lifter noise' gets louder as engine warms up?Found Problem!
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:10 pm    Post subject: 'lifter noise' gets louder as engine warms up?Found Problem! Reply with quote

I am very familiar with the usual wbx habit of sometimes making a loud tappet sound when started up cold. That sound always goes away, sometimes taking longer to do so than we would like. I have a van that has only a very minor sound when started cold but it gets much worse after a few minutes of idling in the driveway. Reving the engine at 3000 for a minute doesn't help, as soon as it drops to idle the loud noise is there. Once the engine is hot enough for the rad fan to run the noise is very distinct and attention getting. I'd hate to think it was something besides a lifter...........

Any suggestions of how to fix or further diagnose this?

Any other explanations for the noise, besides the strange letters stamped in the block that say something like GEX?

thanks,
Mark

Last edited by crazyvwvanman on Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rod knock?
rubbachicken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you have the tool for removing the lifters, have a look at the cam lobe, maybe it has a flat spot

lucy's BIG adventure

meet 'burni'

markswagen {mobile mechanic} san diego area all early VW's cared for.

619 201 0310 or 617 935 4182
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wrist pin?
Piston Slap?
Wrong oil weight?
Low Oil Pressure?

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ragnarhairybreeks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark,

is the noise similar to the lifter noise we know about? If so, it might still be a lifter, but one that does not get pumped up completely due to low oil pressure. If the noise goes away when engine revved to 3000, but returns on idle, then I would check oil pressure at idle.

Just a thought.

alistair
Old address still works...
http://shufti.wordpress.com
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alistair, it does sound like the lifter noise I have heard many times on many wbx engines. I guess I could try to check the hot oil pressure, but how does that really help? It sounds like it is just 1 lifter doing this, assuming it is a lifter. I would be happy to change that lifter if that is what it is but only if I can identify with some certainty which lifter.

Mark

ragnarhairybreeks wrote:
Mark,

is the noise similar to the lifter noise we know about? If so, it might still be a lifter, but one that does not get pumped up completely due to low oil pressure. If the noise goes away when engine revved to 3000, but returns on idle, then I would check oil pressure at idle.

Just a thought.

alistair
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On old Chevys lifters would stick frequently. Hot or cold. Messy and maybe impossible on these flat engines but we would pop a valve cover, start the engine and use a long screw drive held to the ear as a stethoscope to identify the offending lifter. Quick effective and cheap....... Messy as well...... We would slice an old valve cover to only cover the lower portion to catch much of the oil.......never all for a running lifter is flinging oil EVERYWHERE!!!!!

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ragnarhairybreeks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark,

I'm thinking that low oil pressure at idle affects a leaky lifter more than a good lifter. ie a lifter that would act normally under good oil pressure.

The fact that the noise diminishes (right?) when engine revved (oil pressure higher), but comes back at idle (lower oil pressure) supports the hypothesis.

If he noise is worse, or only present when engine hot is also supportive.

Checking the oil pressure really would help in this situation. If the OP is low then the lifter noise is the lesser problem.

good luck

alistair

crazyvwvanman wrote:
Alistair, it does sound like the lifter noise I have heard many times on many wbx engines. I guess I could try to check the hot oil pressure, but how does that really help? It sounds like it is just 1 lifter doing this, assuming it is a lifter. I would be happy to change that lifter if that is what it is but only if I can identify with some certainty which lifter.

Mark

ragnarhairybreeks wrote:
Mark,

Just a thought.

alistair

Old address still works...
http://shufti.wordpress.com
jordauto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A cold and hot oil pressure test, and a compression test would be a good place to start, so you have some idea of the basic mechanical condition. Next I would try a mechanics stethiscope to try and isolate the source of the noise. You should be able to narrow it down to one side or the other. It could be a collasped lifter that won't pump up. It could also be a rod bearing or other internal failure. A piston pin will give a distinctive double knock. To try and isolate an internal noise such as rod noise,try diasabling cylinders one at a time. You can either remove a spark plug wire or unplug an injector. Do this for each cylinder, one at a time paying close attention to your sound and see if it changes. If it does then this points to a rod,pin, or other internal fault. Draining the oil and inspecting for metal will also confirm bearing failure. If disabling cylinders makes no difference to the sound then its most likely in the valve train somewhere. Lifter,valve,valve seat, etc. Good luck.
hansh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had this happen. My theory is that the cold oil is thick and coats the lifter thereby decreasing the clacking noise. If its not pumped up before the oil heats and thins, the noise is sharper/louder. The stuck lifter eventually pumps up and the noise disappears. Mine did this a few times before running a significant amount of MMO for a while.
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it looks like I found the problem. I decided to look closer at the valve adjustment and noticed that when I turned the adjuster screw the pushrod moved in and out as the screw went only in. I pulled the screw and the end is a disaster. It is not the only one. All of them on that side are mushroomed, a couple so badly that the mushroomed head made it hard to back the screw out all the way through the hole in the rocker arm.

Here are 2 bad ones next to 2 new ones.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Mark
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do your valve stem ends look like? You may need to take a Dremel and flatten them and/or get lash caps.
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surprisingly the valve stems look pretty good. Not mushroomed at all, a couple had slight cupping. I wonder if the lash screws had been ground by the rebuilder, removing their surface hardening?

I don't have 4 decent replacement screws for the other side so I am leaving it alone for now. More new screws on order. About $8 each.

Where do you get lash caps for wbx valves?

Mark

Wildthings wrote:
What do your valve stem ends look like? You may need to take a Dremel and flatten them and/or get lash caps.
Howesight
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Mark:

The VW dealer used to stock lash caps. You might be lucky on enquiring. CB performance sells them also. You might find (don't know) that Rocky Jennings has some. They are not on his website, but he would have the quality items. Like the screws themselves, there are good and not-so-good parts out there. Here's one supplier selling Empi lash caps:

http://www.sandparts.com/servlet/the-4403/Empi-00-dsh-4006-dsh-0-Hardened-Lash/Detail
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crazyvwvanman wrote:
Surprisingly the valve stems look pretty good. Not mushroomed at all, a couple had slight cupping. I wonder if the lash screws had been ground by the rebuilder, removing their surface hardening?

I don't have 4 decent replacement screws for the other side so I am leaving it alone for now. More new screws on order. About $8 each.

Where do you get lash caps for wbx valves?

Mark

Wildthings wrote:

Some screws are just made from junk metal or not hardened properly. I had a hell of a time 20ish years back when I put the 2.1 together for my Syncro. I tried buying screws from a variety of different sources and they all wore quickly. For a couple of years I just replaced them about every 10K miles and then once better ones showed up at the parts houses again the problem disappeared, with the last set still looking good after a 100K miles.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: