Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Pros and Cons of Hightopping from a longtime Poptopper
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bruce Wayne
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is my bastardized sunroof van. the P.O. put the poptop on.when camping I wish it was a hightop. I opted for the GW rainfly instead of new canvas. the P.O. made the canvas out of a light fabric. just don't have the time or money to do the hightop conversion at this time.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

before the new tires/wheels. big bulge in the side is the crossbar.
Wolpi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best upgrade, by far. Totally agree with OP.
Pros: Better stowage, better sleeping arrangements, better stealth camp opportunities, better insulation/temp control in both hot and cold weather, better ventilation- stationary and underway. Oddly enough, I now get 1 MPG better than I had with the poptop.
Cons: Yup, banned from my garage for life. No more park garages either. Or drive through windows. Mechanic can't raise it up as high on his lift; has to work under it from a rolling chair. Slightly more ambient interior noise when underway. Slight increase in sidewind sensitivity... Small prices to pay for such improvements in liveability, IMHO.
Joel
wildenbeast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess that person would be me. I switched from a van with an Adventurewagen top to one with a Pop-top, and like the Pop-top much more. The AW top was nice for storing gear but not for sleeping. These newer hi tops seem much taller than the AW top I had so maybe they are more comfortable than the top I had. I can't say enough about sleeping in the Pop-top. Having space to sit up and look over mountain vistas as a breeze comes through the canvas each morning is pretty amazing. I never got to experience that with the AW top which is why I prefer the Pop-top.

Bill

Andrew A. Libby wrote:
Having owned several pop tops and now a high top, there is no looking back. High tops are definitely a big improvement. I find it interesting and understandable that most (all?) of the negative comments come from folks who have never owned one. Is there anyone who has actually owned both a high top and a pop top and yet prefers the pop top??

MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having owned both now for about five months I would say HiTop all the way for comfort, storage, and convenience.
Much warmer (in fact a bit too warm in hot weather, but then ours has the double pane insulated windows and no AC, other models may be better)

The only downsides are the height. The garage bit, and more windage from the sides and back. Better going straight into the wind.
And you lose the rooftop racks. (yes I know there are some available for HiTops, but IMHO they too clunky)

We plan to get a small trailer to pull behind ours. That way we get the ability to carry our kayaks/bikes and all that extra junk we take on long road trips, and it will mark our camping spot.

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.
itsasyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gotta love MsTaboo's driveway jewelry.
Jeff
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

itsasyncro wrote:
Gotta love MsTaboo's driveway jewelry.
Jeff

Thanks for the kind words Jeff!
One of these days I've gotta get the Doka in the picture. Cool

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
J Charlton Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 5:58 am    Post subject: high top pop top Reply with quote

For the record, I don't consider it a "vs" scenario between the two types of top. I consider it to be more of an evolutionary process. This is discussed at http://canadianhightops.ca/whyahightop.html . I loved my early and late bays with pop tops - took one over 12000 miles around N. America one summer, lots of long and short trips.
Now my vw van is a T3 '85 former westfalia powered by a 2.5 subaru, with a hightop and a fridge that actually works and numerous other mods. I've changed, my expectations have changed and my vw van has changed along with them.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Xtremjeepn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've thought about this a lot. What I see with the hightop is moving more towards an RV and away from the family van/weekend explorer.

ANY RV is easier to live in when you add more space. It's exactly this type of evolution that has led people to giant 50' campers with 4 slide outs.

I can't tell you the number of people that I've met in larger campers that say "we used to have a Westfalia" (someone else had to have owned this things in the past afterall)

The beauty in a pop top van is that the 95% of the time you are not using it to sleep in it provides all the simplicity of a regular van.

I personally love exploring distant, but not necessarily "out of the way" places. This often means going out to nice meals in big city's, etc. Places where a hightop would be much harder to park and much more obvious as a "camper".

It would also stand out as a "camper" in my HOA controlled neighborhood and I wouldn't be allowed to park it outside. Rolling Eyes Where a poptop is viewed as a van. Most seem to forget it has a camping feature.

Just food for the conversation. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xtremjeepn wrote:
I've thought about this a lot. What I see with the hightop is moving more towards an RV and away from the family van/weekend explorer.
The beauty in a pop top van is that the 95% of the time you are not using it to sleep in it provides all the simplicity of a regular van.
I personally love exploring distant, but not necessarily "out of the way" places. This often means going out to nice meals in big city's, etc. Places where a hightop would be much harder to park and much more obvious as a "camper".
It would also stand out as a "camper" in my HOA controlled neighborhood and I wouldn't be allowed to park it outside. Rolling Eyes Where a poptop is viewed as a van. Most seem to forget it has a camping feature.
Just food for the conversation. Wink

I'm sorry, I have to completely disagree with this. The HiTop does not look any more RVish than the regular PopTop. You might get away with this statement when comparing a MultiVan to a camper (no kitchen, side outlets, propane tank)
Actually the HiTop provides easier "stealth" camping as the PopTop is so obvious when up.
The overall height is not that different when you start adding rooftop racks and storage boxes.

I don't think any HOA is gonna complain about either van. Rolling Eyes
As far as city adventures everything is the same except the height of the garages you can park in. Most car parks have spaces for tall vehicles.
As far as comparing to a giant 50' RV with slide outs, the pop top comes closer. (slide out, pop up) Laughing

I'm just pulling your leg. I like both. The HiTop just has some extra benefits with minor negatives.

Xtremjeepn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MsTaboo wrote:

I'm sorry, I have to completely disagree with this. The HiTop does not look any more RVish than the regular PopTop. You might get away with this statement when comparing a MultiVan to a camper (no kitchen, side outlets, propane tank)
Actually the HiTop provides easier "stealth" camping as the PopTop is so obvious when up.
The overall height is not that different when you start adding rooftop racks and storage boxes.
I don't think any HOA is gonna complain about either van. Rolling Eyes
As far as city adventures everything is the same except the height of the garages you can park in. Most car parks have spaces for tall vehicles.
As far as comparing to a giant 50' RV with slide outs, the pop top comes closer. (slide out, pop up) Laughing

I'm just pulling your leg. I like both. The HiTop just has some extra benefits with minor negatives.

I can tell you as a retired Police officer I would always check on a van like a hightop parked in the city streets, parks,,etc. Mosty because they stand out! You simply don't see them everyday. If they are parked anywhere other than a residence at 2am the odds are good you will find someone inside Wink

Poptops with the top down just don't attract the same level,of attention.. Wink They blend more with the other cars in a lot or hide well on the second+ floor of a parking structure. Wink

You know where I live and how nasty the HOA can be Rolling Eyes I'm surprised they haven't restricted outside parking like the neighborhood across the street.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I'm in my high top parked in a city, I sleep upstairs with the downstairs curtains open. I'm not totally sure friends in uniform haven't knocked, but I must have slept through it. Wink
Xtremjeepn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andrew A. Libby wrote:
If I'm in my high top parked in a city, I sleep upstairs with the downstairs curtains open. I'm not totally sure friends in uniform haven't knocked, but I must have slept through it. Wink

Probably the bent way to do it. Wink

Don't get me wrong. I love the hightops. Just saying that I think you guys are kidding yourself that its more stealth than a closed poptop van.
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are confused. I currently own both. Have you?
Xtremjeepn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andrew A. Libby wrote:
You are confused. I currently own both. Have you?

What does ownership have to do with anything this?

I know what we did on patrol and what attracted attention vs what didn't Wink

The likelihood of something like a hightop being occupied in the middle of the night vs a closed up regular van was much higher..... And that stand out.
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What does owning both have to do with it? Experience.

When travelling in my pop top either raised or not I have been roused quite a few times. I have never had that experience in my high top. With a pop top van, if you have the curtains open, and an officer decides to hassle you, he will shine a flashlight through the window. Curtains closed almost guarantee that you will get rousing behavior. With a high top, curtains open and a nice black piece of ABS covering each of the top windows a policeman may shine a flashlight around the bottom level but in seeing an empty van, invariably goes away.
J Charlton Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 6:16 pm    Post subject: too bad the vs was used Reply with quote

Its unfortunate that the vs in the original post set up a "one against the other " paradigm. It isn't so and I believe that this was not the intent of the OP.
I really believe that it is more of an evolutionary process than anything else. Here are a few facts about the installs that have happened:
1. Most - well over 80% - have gone onto vans that have had engine conversions or upgrades. Subarus, Tiico,diesels ... Speaking to those who have put hightops on, its pretty much the same response universally - they installed a more modern reliable power plant, with its dependability they began to take more extensive trips - more extensive trips = more stuff, more stuff and having to deal with stowing and unstowing it and /or having it underfoot in the main part of the van leads to a quest for more space - the quest for space leads to the hightop.
2. A disproportionate number of tops have gone onto syncros - ie, proportionally way more than the proportion of syncros relative to 2wd vans. Makes sense if one looks at the cost of syncro westy,,
3. In Europe, more vans "emerged" with hightops than poptops We just didn't get them in North America

Re "stealth camping" - it really isn't the issue of whether or not a van or a hightop would be more likely to be checked by Officer Friendly. The question is - or should be - which is more likely to look as if someone is sleeping in it: A. a westy with its top opened or B. a hightop.

At least 2 guys who have installed hightops are, in fact, living in them - both in major cities. They vary their parking locations, sleep, wake up, drive to their gym to workout and shower, drive to work etc etc. One saves enough in rent that he can work for 6 months and surf for 6 months. Both seem to have figured out how to co-exist with the local authorities, neither would think of doing it without a hightop.

Let's stop the competitive "versus" construct. Each configuration of T3 top, the westy poptop or a hightop has significant advantages over a tintop van for camping. Let's just focus on the advantages each has to offer.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VanaGlenn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice looking beasts!
i'd like a nice little trailer for toys too.
as for height when sleeping up top, the poppy is better if you want to lounge and or sit and enjoy the view.
but it's always a bit of compromise unless we can get one of them fancy Weinsberg euroVanagon popping hightops...

MsTaboo wrote:
Having owned both now for about five months I would say HiTop all the way for comfort, storage, and convenience.
Much warmer (in fact a bit too warm in hot weather, but then ours has the double pane insulated windows and no AC, other models may be better)

The only downsides are the height. The garage bit, and more windage from the sides and back. Better going straight into the wind.
And you lose the rooftop racks. (yes I know there are some available for HiTops, but IMHO they too clunky)

We plan to get a small trailer to pull behind ours. That way we get the ability to carry our kayaks/bikes and all that extra junk we take on long road trips, and it will mark our camping spot.

1987 Hardtop Vanagon 2.1L AT [donor]
1999 Audi A6 Quattro Avant
2001 Toyota Sienna XLE

Gone but not forgotten:
1972 Westie, 1980 Westie, 1948 Flexibus [Greyhound RV], 87 Toyota Van, 95 AWD SC Previa, 88 BMW 535is, 92 BMW 525i, 87 BMW 328ic and a few domestic vans and wagons not worth mentioning...
VanaGlenn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 6:49 pm    Post subject: VS vs Pros and Cons Reply with quote

John is correct.
I should have started this thread with something like:

The Pros and Cons of Poptops and Hightops on Vanagon.

Cause I love 'em both.
Just prefer the hightop for the long hauls and that's what I put on the Vanagon where I'm spending some more serious coin upgrading and or replacing pretty much everything - from drive train to cooling to interior, etc.

Now, if I were working on commi$$ion selling hightops, well...

2001 Toyota Sienna XLE

Gone but not forgotten:
1972 Westie, 1980 Westie, 1948 Flexibus [Greyhound RV], 87 Toyota Van, 95 AWD SC Previa, 88 BMW 535is, 92 BMW 525i, 87 BMW 328ic and a few domestic vans and wagons not worth mentioning...
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, both are excellent.

Last edited by ?Waldo? on Sat Jun 15, 2013 9:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
VanaGlenn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:51 pm    Post subject: renaming the post Reply with quote

as always, ever helpful advise from the sage of the sagebrush.
thanks, Andrew.
:^)
2001 Toyota Sienna XLE

Gone but not forgotten:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7

Jump to: