Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Pros and Cons of Hightopping from a longtime Poptopper
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
singler3360
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to the OP for starting this thread. I like the look of his particular high top. I never considered buying a Syncro tintop, but with this hightop, I will begin the pondering cycle all over again. Engine conversion would have to come first though.
levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andrew A. Libby wrote:
What does owning both have to do with it? Experience.

When travelling in my pop top either raised or not I have been roused quite a few times. I have never had that experience in my high top. With a pop top van, if you have the curtains open, and an officer decides to hassle you, he will shine a flashlight through the window. Curtains closed almost guarantee that you will get rousing behavior. With a high top, curtains open and a nice black piece of ABS covering each of the top windows a policeman may shine a flashlight around the bottom level but in seeing an empty van, invariably goes away.

Experience with stealth camping in both pop top and high top is something I have, many years of it, while traveling the poker circuit all over this country.

Crossed the US many times, and the only place I was rousted was Santa Cruz, and it happened more than once there.

I believe it's going to happen in places where the local police have it on their mind as something they want to deal with.

As far as the comparison between pop top and high top, I'll just say I could never see myself choosing to go back to a pop top, but.... Different strokes for different folks as they say
gonna see life my way

https://youtu.be/cSrL0BXsO40
Texxxxx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: too bad the vs was used Reply with quote

J Charlton wrote:
Let's stop the competitive "versus" construct. Each configuration of T3 top, the westy poptop or a hightop has significant advantages over a tintop van for camping. Let's just focus on the advantages each has to offer.

Oh, I see...now it's the pop tops AND high tops vs the the tin tops! Well, let me tell you, when I swivel BOTH my front seats 180 degrees, I have a very open space that I have camped enjoyably in many times and very comfortably with my Propex! Hrrumphh!!!

Wink

JK...I would like to be able to stand up and pull on my pants like a man...lol.
Jedi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you live behind a gate and pay HOA dues than I can pretty much say that the Hightop life is not for YOU. Rolling Eyes I am glad we are in the lower class ulgy looking hightop group of people. Laughing Some people really need to get off their high horse and realize what they say sounds so snooty.
I have had many types of poptops and after years of driving both. Hightop all the way.
1964 Westfalia SO33 pearl white
1965 Westfalia SO42 Velvet green
1986 Syncro Wolfram grey with black int GL
1986 Syncro Doka
1987 Syncro Sevana beige Adventurewagen
1987 syncro Sevana beige GL
1973 Pumpkin orange Thing
2 1963 Rag top bug's
1965 Manx
1970 Single cab
1971 combi
1990 Vanagon GL
2007 Audi A4 3.2L quattro
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Xtremjeepn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi wrote:
If you live behind a gate and pay HOA dues than I can pretty much say that the Hightop life is not for YOU. Rolling Eyes I am glad we are in the lower class ulgy looking hightop group of people. Laughing Some people really need to get off their high horse and realize what they say sounds so snooty.
I have had many types of poptops and after years of driving both. Hightop all the way.

This is the most arrogant and snotty thing posted so far. Full of ASSumptions based on an HOA that doesn't allow motorhomes. Guess you didn't think far enough ahead to think that there might be other reasons for it like respecting the lack of space for neighbors and guests to park.

Especially coming from the guy showing off by putting 16 vehicles in his signature.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
J Charlton Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:14 am    Post subject: chill out Reply with quote

C'mon guys - let's chill out. One of the first questions either I always get asked or ask, is where do you intend to park the van with the hightop? Often its preceded by "how high is the vehicle overall" - meaning will it fit into my garage or corport? Anyone considering buying any vehicle would have to take into consideration the local conditions they would be bringing the van into.
Not sure why a hightop would make any difference though re parking - the van has exactly the same footprint, high topped or not.
I'm not a fan, personally, of gated communities with strict restrictions as to what you can or cannot do with your property and I find it quite odd that some folks who do live in them are so willing to accept those restrictions but are so adamant about not having other restrictions - eg firearms. (I realize that as I write this that I've just lit up another bonfire)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joseph928
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:19 am    Post subject: bon fire Reply with quote

:2gunfire: yep! well on the topic yes we have A and we have B but I like C sun roof! No problems anywhere. Very Happy
1987 syncro westy tin top sun roof , GW2.3, rear locker, decoupler, Gary Lee tire rack & winch mount, lift, south african grill, big brakes , rhein alloy ,15 BFG AT, Fiamma 10 foot awning ,140 watt rear 85 watt front solar , mppt, truckfridge, automatic fire extinguishing system, tencent oil cooler, And a RMW SS exhaust! - 1971 bug convertible 1776 engine- 2010 Subaru turbo - 1993 Toyota 4x4 truck - 1999 Harley 95 CI, big bore, Andrews cams . Also 80-84- vans. Stock 65 sunroof bug.
Xtremjeepn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: chill out Reply with quote

J Charlton wrote:

Not sure why a hightop would make any difference though re parking - the van has exactly the same footprint, high topped or not.
I'm not a fan, personally, of gated communities with strict restrictions as to what you can or cannot do with your property and I find it quite odd that some folks who do live in them are so willing to accept those restrictions but are so adamant about not having other restrictions - eg firearms. (I realize that as I write this that I've just lit up another bonfire)

First, nobody said anything about "gated" communities. I live in a VERY average place.

I kinda hate the no RV rule but I'm also glad it keeps my neighbors ginormous 5th wheel monstrosity from being parked on our tiny street all the time. (I do find it silly that "slide in" pickup campers of any size and things like a hightop get lumped into this rule, I was just pointing out that not everywhere you may travel will view the hightop and the Poptop as equals.)

I'd prefer to live in a non-HOA neighborhood but honestly can't afford it. Must be a California thing to think the HOA neighborhoods are the rich ones. The old cool neighborhoods around here with no HOAs or houses with property are easily 2x or more the cost of my little cookie cutter home in an HOA controlled neighborhood. I'd much rather spend that money to travel with.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jedi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to offend your NORMAL lifestyle of paying others to rule your life. We have a ranch in the mountains and enjoy the Non normal way of American freedom without big goverment telling us what to park on our land.
Sorry to offend you with my list of VW's I have owned and restored!
1986 Syncro Doka
2 1963 Rag top bug's
1965 Manx
1970 Single cab
1971 combi
1990 Vanagon GL
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Xtremjeepn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi wrote:
Sorry to offend your NORMAL lifestyle of paying others to rule your life. We have a ranch in the mountains and enjoy the Non normal way of American freedom without big goverment telling us what to park on our land.
Sorry to offend you with my list of VW's I have owned and restored!

It wasn't the VWs or the land. It was the attitude! Wink Wish I could afford to live off the land in the mountains Wink I'm guessing you owned property before I was even an adult Wink Probably not a livable piece of California mountain land worth less than my house.

Unfortunately its not always a choice these days to avoid an HOA. The whopping $20 month HOA fee is a small price to pay to keep my neighbors junk from being parked here and to have my trash and recycling removed. Laughing
geo_tonz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As fascinating as this HOA discussion is Rolling Eyes , I'd like to hear a little more about the hightops.

I like the look when they're painted to match the body, but do they then become an oven in the sun? I'm thinking a lighter colour like orange, yellow, tan....I guess I know they'd be warmer, but would they be a sweatbox in anything but white? I like the painted look as it makes the top look more like part of the van, rather than something stuck on top. Perhaps just painting the sides ant leave the top white?

I used to think they were ugly but they've really grown on me and the high top is fast becoming one of my long-term upgrade goals...for practicality and because I could see the value of my Tin Top almost double..

Thanks.
GT
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jedi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find the hightop to be less hot when driving because the internal air volume is greater and the hot air rises. When parked the side windows do just fine for us in Western states most seasons but summer time you need to open the sky light. Mine is closed as its was a Adventurewagen solar shower top so I have never used it. We are looking to replace it with a new sky light soon. With a pop top open I used to get the "you cant camp here" at rest areas and vista points. Never Never has that happened to us in a Hightop
1986 Syncro Doka
2 1963 Rag top bug's
1965 Manx
1970 Single cab
1971 combi
1990 Vanagon GL
geo_tonz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps for increased believability one should carry green Kool-aid and molasses to dump under the engine when stealth camping in a hightop. Then people figure the head gasket went and it's awaiting a tow...

The increased air volume is an interesting point...Can a stock AC system then keep up with that size of a cabin? Wouldn't be an issue with mine...no AC, but for others? And heat for that matter in the winter...it'd have to fill that volume up before the cabin started to get warm going for a drive wouldn't it?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jedi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live in the sierras and have camped in neg15 weather for 4 Days. Trips like that are common in our family.Propex keeps up just fine and in 20 Mins we are out of bed in our undies! Yes in winter. You can follow others lifestyles here
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=476579
1986 Syncro Doka
2 1963 Rag top bug's
1965 Manx
1970 Single cab
1971 combi
1990 Vanagon GL
shadetreetim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: too bad the vs was used Reply with quote

Texxxxx wrote:
Oh, I see...now it's the pop tops AND high tops vs the the tin tops! Well, let me tell you, when I swivel BOTH my front seats 180 degrees, I have a very open space that I have camped enjoyably in many times and very comfortably with my Propex! Hrrumphh!!!

Wink

JK...I would like to be able to stand up and pull on my pants like a man...lol.

You have two swivels? Jeez. I can only wish. All I've got is a tintop 2wd with a single swivel. Sad I too would like to stand up while putting my pants on.

Seriously though, I jones after a hightop because of the space available while driving/overnighting. I guess I could accomplish the same thing by installing a poptop and sleeping up top, but I don't want to sleep up there. I like my queen size bed I can can fall into, just need some storage space that isn't always in the way. Those AW tops are calling my name.

I do like the breezy coolness of those three window tents on the poptops though. Think

You know, I usually wear shorts while camping, and they're easy to put on while crouched over. I don't need no stinkin' poptop or hightop. Cool

But those AW tops are so cool looking...

Doing my best every time I drive it to dispel the myth these Vanagons have to be slow!

'89 Vanagon Bluestar/Country Homes 1.8T & .77 4th
'74 Jeep CJ5
JeffRobenolt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got mine. It is going to get painted the same as the stock poptop I took off. Kind of a cream, grand banks beige

http://images.jamestowndistributors.com/images/large/64.jpg

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
[/url]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tam_shops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:33 pm    Post subject: Re: too bad the vs was used Reply with quote

You guys problem is you're all too tall. I can stand up, straight, with my pop top down. Dancing And, do a dance too!
shadetreetim wrote:
Texxxxx wrote:
would like to be able to stand up and pull on my pants like a man...lol.

You know, I usually wear shorts while camping, and they're easy to put on while crouched over. I don't need no stinkin' poptop or hightop. Cool

I can not, however, pop it on my own! Rolling Eyes If I stand on a stool AND my 7yo stands on the stove top and helps, we can pop it on our own. I was going to get those pop top shocks and tried it on a friends this weekend, but then, even if I hang off the bar (doing a chin up), then I can't pull it down. Rolling Eyes

My one big reason for wanting a pop top was so I could park/drive it anywhere, but there are two parkades I'd like to park in, one at the mall-stop laughing and the other second at a friend's house. They're both something like 6ft 7in and cut it too close for me w/ that skylight on top! So, essentially they're out of the question anyway.

Then, when processing anything I go to cost. Cost of new (installed) canopy is said to be $1,000 vs hightop was it $2,000? That starts still a pretty big gap...and now I'm at the money pitt movie image and deciding to do nothing this year! LOL

Plus, my 7yo is just now figuring out (correct) identification of Tin top vs Westfalia, adding high top, but not Get Away Van into the mix wouldn't be very nice! LOL

tam

Making it special:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=545885
minimart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

anybody know how hard they are to remove without damaging everything?
i'm currently in the process of buying a get-away converted van but would like eventually to design and build my own top using carbon fiber.
i'm hoping they didnt use that hardcore epoxy body panel glue...

i might change idea after i've owned it for a while but right now the thinking is that i will most likely never sleep upstairs, so i'd lower it just enough to be able to stand and still have storage space. also thinking about a more streamlined shape, plus the lightness of carbon would lower the center of gravity.

thanks
Martin
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: too bad the vs was used Reply with quote

tam_shops wrote:
I was going to get those pop top shocks and tried it on a friends this weekend, but then, even if I hang off the bar (doing a chin up), then I can't pull it down. Rolling Eyes tam

Tam, Initially you don't pull down on the bar to lower the pop top (no hanging please). You need to push the bar rearward so that the hinges can start flexing, then the top comes down just fine with a little pull downward, even with pop top shocks (unless they are the heavy duty ones). Try it and let me know. Very Happy

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
SCM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi wrote:
We have a ranch in the mountains and enjoy the Non normal way of American freedom without big goverment telling us what to park on our land

So, you're one of THOSE types of Californians.

The kind that sells their overpriced house in CA, moves to my part of the world, builds a starter castle up in the urban-wildland interface, blocks my access to hunt/fish/hike/bike, puts my firefighting brothers at risk defending your poor choice of housing locations and probably fights to lock up even more land as Wilderness...

Meanwhile, those of us who work for a living and can't in any way hope to afford massive acreage in the hills, plug along in our garages, on our 1/4 acre lots, happily paying HOA dues to maintain our tiny park and keep our alleys plowed in the winter time...

Yeah, HOAs=rich snooty people. Must certainly be a stereotype unique to CA.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7

Jump to: