Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Auxiliary / Leisure Battery that fits stock mounting?
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
eche_bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:59 pm    Post subject: Auxiliary / Leisure Battery that fits stock mounting? Reply with quote

I've been trying to locate a good auxiliary (leisure) battery for my '76 Westy. The consensus here seems to be that a Group 42 Deep Cycle is right for the application and should fit pretty well.

The stock battery tray mounting hardware is designed for a battery that has a flange/lip near the base on each long side. I don't want to drill holes in my tray. I want to keep it stock and use the original mounting bracket/bolt.

The batteries I keep finding (and have tried) are Marine-type and have a "V-shaped" slot instead of the flanges. That won't stay in the rear bracket. I even tried a plastic adapter that provided a narrow flange, but that wasn't enough to keep the battery in place.

Is there a Group 42 Deep Cycle battery out there with the right flanges that will allow it to mount securely using the original mounting hardware? If you've got one installed this way, what Brand and Model?
grandpa pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can't find what you want , west marine sells a nice battery holder that I used for my camping battery Cool

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=569619&highlight=sedan+delivery
eche_bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

grandpa pete wrote:
If you can't find what you want , west marine sells a nice battery holder that I used for my camping battery Cool

Thanks. So are you telling me that it has the flanges that allow it to mount securely using the original hardware? I saw your photo in the other recent aux. battery thread, but couldn't make out the flanges.
grandpa pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the west marine battery holders have two screws that hold them in place

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=569619&highlight=sedan+delivery
obnoxiousblue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just bought two, yellow top Optimas. It fit perfectly in the stock location, and they come with base adapters for different group sizes so it works great with the stock battery hold down.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
eche_bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info, guys. Anyone else using stock mounting hardware for a deep cycle aux. battery?
eche_bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So no one else here has a deep cycle aux. battery mounted with stock hardware? Just looking for good options, that's all ...
obnoxiousblue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ yes to this.

I'll take pics later.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
eche_bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

obnoxiousblue - I very much appreciate your post pointing me to the Optimas. I was aware of the Optimas as a popular choice for the Aux. battery but didn't know they could use the stock mount hardware, so it was helpful to know this. However, I had hoped to avoid the high cost of the Optimas so wanted to see what my other options were before making a decision. If the Optimas are my only choice, then of course the decision is made.
eche_bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Auxiliary / Leisure Battery that fits stock mounting? Reply with quote

UPDATE: I was reminded today I didn't come back to this thread once I found a good battery.
Read here: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6792755#6792755
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: