Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1.9 TDI Tin top van from INDIA
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Osku
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 11:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 1.9 TDI Tin top van from INDIA Reply with quote

Thank you for the clarification. A fwe questions amerged. One, is that TDi axel for the clutch from the donor vehicle or where did that come from?
I can see that the TDi clutch plate is somewath robuster the question remains has someone broken the WBX plate and if so with how much torque?
narendra.vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: 1.9 TDI Tin top van from INDIA Reply with quote

The TDI shaft shown in pic by Andy is made exclusively for Vanagon transmission. There’s no Donor for TDI shaft.

One German company supplies it.

I have no idea of WBX Clutch plate giving up. Only other members can answer this.
I advise you to go for TDI shaft.
Osku
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 2:57 am    Post subject: Re: 1.9 TDI Tin top van from INDIA Reply with quote

I can not follow you exactly, Why is it better?
No one has said that the WBX plate is not strong enaugh
The trouble with changing the axel cancels in my book out the problem with buying the assembly separately and the plate separately.
The axel I have to order from Germany but the standard part i get imidietly from the next door carpart dealer.
I will definitively go the way with the GTi axel if there is an problem with the WBX solution, but at the moment no one has yet said there is one, or specified what that would be in that case.
Waldi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 4:05 am    Post subject: Re: 1.9 TDI Tin top van from INDIA Reply with quote

The spings on the wbx disc are much weaker than the springs on the tdi disc.
In a worst scenario, the springs of the wbx disc will block when you let the cluch out becaouse the diesel has much more torqe on lower revs also cause of the more heavy fly wheel.
Using the wbx disc is a compromise. I have done it also, it works, but i have heard also from loosen springs.
Osku
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 1.9 TDI Tin top van from INDIA Reply with quote

Thank you for your answer, I hope I'm not anoying you, if so say so, I also do not want to be too far of topic and if I am say so.
I can see that the dimensions are smaller, and I can follow your theory on that part that it might break and/or bottom the springs.
What I'm sayning is do any body know a person that it actually has happened to, or even better can the person them self speack up. You said "you heard", is this some one you know and how tuned was the engine.
I know you can easyly go with an biger turbo to numbers that are 200+HP(and insane torque) and its obvious that then you not only need to have an strong clutch but need an reinforced gearbox too.
I'm my self am aiming to a moderate 140HP so thats just slightly tuned and I'm trying to findout what the WBX clutch can handel, what the people did when it broke and is there an actual risk or is it just a case of beter safe than sorry.
I will use my car as my dayly driver ín winter, so I'm neither Offroading nor am I Racing it, so the hardest thing for it will most likely be the pulling the traile or overtaking. If e.g. the trailer pulling is alredy on the limit well then I'll have to adress the problem right away.

An other thing that I wanted to ask the People That has mounted the ALH engine at 50 deg is what did you do with the plastic splash plate/oilguide (the one in the sump).
Do you know is it useful for redusing the foaming from return oil or is just an splash plate?
Do you all still have it on your engines?
I have seen some modifying it but most that have made the ALH converion at 50 deg (not meny) don't even mention it. I was considering throwing it away as I have an Splash plate and the pipe points a bit od when the engine is at 50 deg. But am still hesitating as I wondered why it had that connection to the oil overflow? And should I have something similar too?
Older VW engines managed without such things but the oil circulation was a bit different.
narendra.vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 10:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 1.9 TDI Tin top van from INDIA Reply with quote

There are very few who are using WBX clutch plate. Some are still using TD clutch set along with TD flywheel.
Every one who are using these know their limit & using within it. The friction plate wear out faster & starts slipping if over used. This is enough to be stranded at some critical place.
High tuned engine & pulling a trailer it’s definitely a no, no.
Higher HP tuned engine you need more than a clutch plate. Re-gearing the Gearbox, stronger drive shaft, proper cooling system, good brakes, correct tires & yes big Bank balance.
From 90 Hp to 140 Hp, it’s not slightly tuned. Smile
My direction is always to keep things simple.

Regarding splash cover, it’s still attached.
I have fused the ALH & the TD crankcase. The oil pump sucking pipe was shortened(I managed to get a metal one).
Osku
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 1:05 am    Post subject: Re: 1.9 TDI Tin top van from INDIA Reply with quote

On this page is an similar plastic as on my engine:
http://www.myturbodiesel.com/wiki/oil-pan-removal-and-hybrid-oil-pan-installation-mk4-vw-tdi-engine/

If you tilt an engine with this plastic 50 deg the end tube of the plastic is higher than the lower side of the splach chanal (if I remember correctly), I do not think there is any point in leaving it without modification.

The metal oilintaketube I understand and I understand what need to be done.

I also understand the splach funktion (I have made an aluminium splash in correct place in my pan), what I do not get is what the chanal is doing that is formed from this plastic. I am speculating that either it will feed the oil so that good circulation is created or it is for foaming.
Do you have an better theory on that one?

I'm talking about the Black plastic piece on the page abowe.

By the way, did you know about the B32 Vanagon?¨
http://www.carbuildindex.com/24024/porsche-vw-t3-bus-the-b32/
The only modifications made on that one in sense of handling where Bigger Front Breaks, nothing more. And that came out from the factrory with the 3.2 liter Flat six.
But yes they did have the Porsche 911 gearbox too, so the clutch is pretty solid on that one.

That said is it not just slight tuning if I'm way under the fastestt factory model specs for the T3 = under tuned Very Happy
and well the factory did take from the same engine as the ALH a 110 HP and when you just change the injection nozles and tweek the software to the direction of enviromentaly unfriendly you endup with around 140, Beyond that you need a biger turbo. So it is what is concidered OEM+ or slightly tuned.

But to be serious, the clutch if it will break, will either break at the sprigs or at the "crown" it will not slip more than the TDI clutch. As it has the same dimensins with the 228 TDI clutch and cannot be compared with the JX clutch (witch also should hold the stock ALH with 90 HP, barely). Its Obvious that if I applie the force harch I might hit the drive lain with the flywhee inertia and it might break, but I'm anyway awoiding that not just for the clutch but for the drivelain not being able to handel the force. I will build an stronger drive lain in the future but I would like tho have the car already in trafic before I spend all that money and time on the gearbox, this project will suck enough money as it is. Becaus I will build an Gearbox later with stronger parts I am a bit reluctant to modifye an stock one right now if it could handel the job for a while without modification. I want the 228WBX just for the reason you mentioned abowe, in comparison to the JX clutch.
As I mentioned I have 3 Syncros and the plan is to have one with the ALH as dayly driver, one absolute orginal with the JX stuff and one, well that one I will realy tune to the breaking limit (planed something like 2.5 V6 TDi from Audi) Twisted Evil .
At the moment I'm using the one that I'm going to restore totaly as orginal as my dayly driver, and as it is so nice I would like to get it under restoration ASAP, Before I run it to the end as my dayly driver.
My garage space is well not limitless, so if I want the restoration project in the garage, then the ALH project must out, and I also need an dayly driver if I stop using the one I will restore.
narendra.vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 1.9 TDI Tin top van from INDIA Reply with quote

One’s dream someone’s reality.
One day I will ’land’ in your place & remove your ‘fin’ & take away one of your Synros. Laughing

Yes, same plastic cover I’m taking about. I did something to it which I’m not able to recall.
Sorry no pic of these. I will come back on this, once I recall.

Try to take one project at a time. Keeping one Syncro as a stock is a good idea.
If your working on Gearbox you might as well change the top gear shaft(TDI).Around 110$ per piece.

Since your project is really interesting, as per my first advise come up with a Build Thread. It will benefit you a lot.

AFB’s Finial Details,

Completed AFB work visual(Past & Present).
The position of the AFB was measured in small fractions just to get a Gap of ½ “ between IC hose & ‘MAF to Turbo’ hose. The AFB’s increased length with the MAF & it’s hose attached is seen visually.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Every part has a min Gap of ½” to each other. The AFB can be raised towards the engine lid by another ¾” . Only down side is, you have to scrape some sound dampening material.

Some random pic( anything unusual in mid Pic?).

Ac water drain on IC. More cooling.

How to remove AFB,
To remove AFB, first it’s lid has to be decamped & removed. Later valve door breather valve has to be taken off.
Now, by loosing the AFB clamp Bolt, the box can be easily pulled out.

N18 is still in use without EGR. How?! Work has been done to over ride the EGR & escape ecl(copied from the other forum). Work details & result after the van clocks few K miles.

Yet again I was able to use the TD parts to the max. I’m happy with the outcome.
Engine Bay carries 99% VW parts. Any part replacement there’s a VW part no/-.

Some progress on power sliding door too!

The following Video was uploaded just for Samba. Video has three highlights.
1) The Vanagon overtaking a mini Vangon( Suzuki Omni).
2) Van’s OE Brake performance.
3) Bit of romance. Smile
Van was driven carrying six passengers with the Ac on a full blast.

Link

Hill climbing with lots of Hairpin bends(36 in total). Starting point 2500 feet & reaching point 7,350 feet above sea level.
If anyone had doubt on ALH engine’s performance, here’s the proof. Climate was hot(33*C)
The sound of wheel spinning on acceleration can be heard after hairpin bend.
For the first time, I could hear the fan’s second speed working. It used to work for few sec.
I’m totally satisfied with the cooling system. The temp needle stay put in the dial centre for the whole journey even with the ac on. Back home no top-up of Coolant.
Bit of Info on this road ,
The surrounding is a forest area, hence vehicle moment is not allowed between 9pm to 6am.
In the beginning of the video you can see flattened out elephant dung. Laughing

Link

Please let me know, if I’m over doing the ‘Video Link’ Thing.
Thanks for watching.
Osku
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: 1.9 TDI Tin top van from INDIA Reply with quote

That engineroom looks realy good everything starts to find there place one can clearly see you thought it over. Very Happy
tschroeder0
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: 1.9 TDI Tin top van from INDIA Reply with quote

love it! great video
narendra.vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 10:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 1.9 TDI Tin top van from INDIA Reply with quote

Thanks Mr, Osku. Thanks Mr,tschroeder0.

With this push, I’m linking two more.

First,
Selfieee.

In the previous drive video, Van was running with the TD’s AFB & driven app 700 km.
On my observation, the sound has reduced but not to my expectation. Mild air filter sound can be heard through this video. The rear engine lid top area is yet to get some good sound & heat damping material.

Here are two more link I like to share,

Same drive video through a Handy-Cam.
-Uphill drive, max 2600 rpm was used for the 2nd & 3rd gear. 1st & 5th Gear was not used till we reached the Top.
-The Electrical Power Steering was a boon.
-The double side slide railings for the window curtains can be seen. I went for mesh black type curtain cloth. Night visibility is better with the curtain closed.
-The Dash monitor displaying Rear left View as a default. Triggering happens for the reverse & the left front View(reverse shifting or left indicator on). Mine is a RHD.
-The roof fold-able Monitor is for entertainment only. The position of the Monitor does not disturb the Driver.
-My family enjoyed the whole Journey. At some point, Van gives a ‘On board Train’ feeling.

Link

Downhill scenic beauty seen from the Van’s Sunroof. I suggest Full screen viewing.

Link
goffoz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 1.9 TDI Tin top van from INDIA Reply with quote

Nice stuff Narendra,
really enjoy your vids , and seeing you putting all that hard work and innovation to good use.
inspirational
Very Happy
narendra.vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 1.9 TDI Tin top van from INDIA Reply with quote

goffoz wrote:
Nice stuff Narendra,
really enjoy your vids , and seeing you putting all that hard work and innovation to good use.
inspirational
Very Happy

Thanks Mr,goffoz

It’s long time since, I did something to my Van.
Recently, I acquired a IC fan & a sensor switch.
The fan comes from the Donor, Mitsubishi Pajero. A famous SUV for it’s capabilities.
The fan itself is small & handy. It’s a ideal part for my IC.
The fan is Designed to draw air. This is ideal to fit the fan bellow the IC. Obstruction of air flow above the IC is eliminated.
Fitting bellow the IC, Weather will not affect the fan motor. The motor is water proof.
The sensor switch will make sure when to allow the fan to work.

The Mitsubishi Pajero Intercooler fan & switch. Cell phone is for comparison. It’s length, 5”

More to come.

Last edited by narendra.vw on Fri Nov 04, 2016 1:48 am; edited 1 time in total
narendra.vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 1:46 am    Post subject: Re: 1.9 TDI Tin top van from INDIA Reply with quote

Small update,

Got the sensor switch fitted to the inlet where the ECR valve was removed.

Last edited by narendra.vw on Fri Nov 18, 2016 9:32 am; edited 1 time in total
narendra.vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: 1.9 TDI Tin top van from INDIA Reply with quote

IC fan Mod completion. Safety mesh attached to the bottom of the fan unit.

Last edited by narendra.vw on Fri Nov 18, 2016 9:29 am; edited 1 time in total
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 7:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 1.9 TDI Tin top van from INDIA Reply with quote

narendra.vw wrote:

Link

Wow you are the Raja of the Road!!
How did you take these videos? Is that a perm. mounted dash cam...... or?
narendra.vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 9:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 1.9 TDI Tin top van from INDIA Reply with quote

epowell wrote:
narendra.vw wrote:

Wow you are the Raja of the Road!!
How did you take these videos? Is that a perm. mounted dash cam...... or?

Yes, I do have dash mounted camera. sometimes I use my Handy cam.

Van also has Reverse & Left(Door handle mounted) cameras to help me for more visibility but they are not record able.

Raja on the road,no no no Smile Smile
Thanks for asking
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8

Jump to: