Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Trying to figure out what the PO did
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Canoli
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 4:47 pm    Post subject: Trying to figure out what the PO did Reply with quote

I'm trying to figure out what the PO did with the wiring. In the ICU picture someone spliced the wire that goes to the ign coil( that's what the bentley says. They spliced it from number 5 which goes to the fuel pump relay. In the fuel pump reply pic they pigtailed the blk/wht wire , one to the relay the other to the ign coil. If i disconnect the wire from the ign coli the van doesn't start(no fuel pump). I've cut the one at the ICU and seems like nothing happened. Also I'm only getting 8 volts at cold start at the ICV, when she warms up it goes up to 10. Sorry if this doesn't make any sense, did the best I could explaining it.
Any help would be grateful.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

dyldebus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Trying to figure out what the PO did Reply with quote

It looks like they tried installing a kill switch. Do you have any toggle switches hidden on the back wall behind the drivers seat or under the dash?
Canoli
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Trying to figure out what the PO did Reply with quote

I haven't seen any. I had the dash off and never saw one.
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: Trying to figure out what the PO did Reply with quote

what model van is it?

On my 1986 van I added a coil relay to give coil full voltage verses the dropped voltage from the ignition switch, put the realy in the engine bay relay box, also added a dedicated relay for the ecu.

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: Trying to figure out what the PO did Reply with quote

The problem is that nobody here could possibly tell you what the hack had on his mind when he started adding his shade tree updates.

Look in the Bentley, find that specific connector, and see what it does or where it goes.
Undo what the hack artist did for you, rewire that connector.

The joys of buying somebody's bad idea's.
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: Trying to figure out what the PO did Reply with quote

I'm not sure what you mean. Do you mean the PO connected (piggy backed) a wire from the ICU connector to the fuel pump relay?

Can you draw a diagram of what you're seeing?

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
Canoli
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Trying to figure out what the PO did Reply with quote

Sorry, I always for get the year its a 86 gl, 2.1. Fuel pump replay should be 2 not 1. Hope this helps

Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Trying to figure out what the PO did Reply with quote

Well I'm stuck in a ferry lineup in my westy so I have time to peruse my Bentley. Smile

Your VIN could figure into this; there's two different 1986 diagrams. You note a green wire from ICU 17 so my guess is you're dealing with an early 86 wiring,

In the early diagram, the ecu relay is incorrectly labeled as fuel pump relay.

Sorry if this had been said already but....

I don't know enough about DC circuits to say for sure but I agree with [edit: dyldebus]. It's an ignition disabled? The wire between ICU plug wires 17 and 5 is intended to short out the ecu relay if someone cranks engine creating a signal from the coil?? But then I thought the 1 buss was negative?

If the PO took a positive feed from 15 of ignition coil, maybe they were trying to establish a better path of positive to ecu relay? Or, maybe there's a switch somewhere that controls that positive path? (Kill switch)

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: