Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

7 things at litchfield bug in fathers day
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yarkle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 12:40 pm    Post subject: 7 things at litchfield bug in fathers day Reply with quote

Well, after several years of hemming and hawing about going, we made the 6 hour trip down to Litchfield, and was impressed with the thing selection. (maybe next year mine will be able to make the trip).

7 things!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I recognized fun 181's (wow that is a nice car!) and casey denises (also a good looking rig)- all of them were in great shape. No owners were around at the moment to chat though-I really wanted to hear some engines! I thought Raj Rao might bring up the patina ride, but i didnt see it.

Also saw my buddy Dave from mass, and finally met Mike Basso at his vendor tent. A few other vendors had the random thing part, but Mike had a good selection with good prices..

Great show with a great turnout of 181's.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=771024&highlight=
guppysoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like good fun. Dancing
Fun 181
Zu Geil!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I missed you guys.

I walked around the vendor area once, but must have been in a daze because I didn't see Basso. I did see one vendor who had a couple of Thing hoods, doors and seats, but didn't see anything else 181 related. It must have been Mike, so I guess I need to pay better attention next time.

For the past 8 years, Litchfield has always had between 5 to 7 Things. No more, no less. It's odd as there always seem to be different Things in attendance. There were 3 Things that usually make the show, but were absent. They were replaced by 3 Things that I never saw before - including the Corsair-powered one. The Corvair Thing was interesting, but I always hate to see the body get chopped up to accommodate an engine.

Raj was there his "new" rat-rod beetle. He sold his rusted-out Thing a few months back. I think he still has his other camo Thing. He waved goodbye as he was leaving, and I didn't get a chance to talk with him. He left with Casey early in the afternoon to catch the ferry back to LI. I ended up leaving around 2:00pm to beat the rain that never came, so I don't know who won what awards.

Overall, it was a nice relaxing day for this dad.
Yarkle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike B was almost directly behind the guy with the hoods and doors..in the last row.

We split around noon to try and beat the traffic goign back into beantown.

it was nice the rain held off.

Yeah, the corvair engine is kind of cool, but Its not my cup of tea. theres a guy around here who used to have one and it caused more problems than the fun it was supposed to bring.

did you see the bus with the park bench for a front seat?

Fun 181
Zu Geil!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did not see the park bench front seat. And now that you mention it, I did skip the last row of vendors probably because I wasn't paying attention. Now I'm bummed that I didn't get a chance to see what Mike brought. There are always a few parts he has that I could use. Oh well, next year I guess.
Ron Domeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you missed Mike Basso , he will be at Kubel Treffen in Dover July 19-21.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Yarkle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fun 181 wrote:
I did not see the park bench front seat. And now that you mention it, I did skip the last row of vendors probably because I wasn't paying attention. Now I'm bummed that I didn't get a chance to see what Mike brought. There are always a few parts he has that I could use. Oh well, next year I guess.

he brought a few fenders and the very front of a frotn clip, and then he did have a huge selection of bits and bobs-seals, hood stops, light switches, etc.

Ratt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was fun. Sadly my Thing is still in the Garage. I just got the new rockers the other day. Maybe next year we can bring the Thing. Although the Wife did express an interest in getting a buggy.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Semper_Dad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ratt wrote:
It was fun. Sadly my Thing is still in the Garage. I just got the new rockers the other day. Maybe next year we can bring the Thing. Although the Wife did express an interest in getting a buggy.

Have her drive the Thing without the doors on and see if she still wants a buggy Laughing .
Yarkle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hope springs eternal, and im hoping to have my thing road worthy by then!

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: