Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Good GPS for forest roads ?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
geo_tonz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

outwesty wrote:
furrylittleotter wrote:
Compass, map, odometer.

ok, no. I love having a map as well but there are many roads that are not even on the forest service maps you can purchase from them.

Thanks for every ones input here. Has anyone tried http://www.backcountrynavigator.com/ I may give it a shot.

Something I have found excessively annoying with both Google Earth and Navionics (marine charts) is that they do not do a "track up" view, only "North up". This means the map does not rotate to match the direction you are facing/travelling, but remains with the north direction at the top of the screen and you move around on the map as a dot. Kind of annoying and a little disorienting as some apps don't show you as an arrow that gives you the sense of direction your facing.

I haven't played with many topo apps but that is a simple feature I would definitely make sure is available before purchasing.

You should carry a compass too though and have a map if you are unfamiliar wit the area. I know people who end up on the wrong side of rivers...because they either don't understand the digital compass, took readings beside their steel shovel...or just plain ran out of batteries.

Last edited by geo_tonz on Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jordauto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For iphone maps in Canada, I use "Topographic Maps Canada". Its in the app store,free and uses the free government supplied topo maps. You download the maps for the area you will be in before you go on your wifi at home. The maps themselves are dated and do not provide a huge amount of detail, but it's a nice simple interface and it it will show your location,and allow you to drop flags. Flag positions are shown with lat/long as well. It works very well and will show main logging roads,lakes,rivers,and has a measure feature which allows you to measure the distance between two points on the map.
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

geo_tonz wrote:
dobryan wrote:
Here is a topo shot near Nunavut:

Your screen shot is 75km north of the US border in the most densely populated province in Canada. They do have good coverage there, kinda like our version of upstate New York. Nunavut is another 1100km north of that. Like a more remote Alaska.

Your not selling me on Gaia if that's the locale it comes up with when you type in Nunavut! It's like saying in Maryland you are right beside Florida...same distance. Shocked

If it used google maps images though I'm interested. Bing really sucks the more remote you get and some topo programs only use that.

You are correct. My bad on that. I must have moved the map when I was playing with it before taking the screen shot. I did it again and moved over the town of Iqaluit since it actually showed something other than topo and water....edited my previous post.

BTW, not trying to sell anyone, I just like this app the more I use it, and they keep updating it to make it better. I have no affiliation, yada, yada.....

This app does use allow the use of google road maps as one of the available layers, mapquest too.....

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
4x4BNB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We use the earthmate inreach for iPhone n ipad. U can attach via blue tooth to ur gone or tablet. Then we use an app for iPhone/ipad called "you need a map". U can us the inreach maps too
hans j
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just checked on my Gaia on my android, Nunavut comes up in ERSI satellite imagery, NRCAN vector topo, Mapquest imagery and probably others Smile

Comes up exactly what came up in google maps. Looks like it's right off a little tributary inside a bunch of islands somewhere way North! 17*N 70.29977, -83.10758 and about 2287 miles from my house in SLC!

Oh and it's only a $10 app in Android store...
geo_tonz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hans j wrote:
Oh and it's only a $10 app in Android store...

Well isn't that special!

Thanks for checking on that. Usually the problem isn't that there's no image, it's just that when you get away from the towns it's usually the same 2002 pseudocoloured Landsat that you can barely pick out a lake on.

I might give it a shot anyway for our work in northern Saskatchewan where I know the imagery is better.

Sorry to Hijack outwesty!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Xtremjeepn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I lived off my motorcycle for 6 months last year and traveled 18,000 miles of backroads from border to border and coast to coast.

I carried with me a Garmin Montana 650t, GS3 Andoid phone and an iPad.

I'll cut to the chase! Buy an iPad Mini and buy any and every GPS app you want! It will work great in the van and do a thousand other things for you.

The software designed for the iPhone and iPad is much more refined than the stuff for Android. Nothing against Android, love them. It's just the the iOS standards are much higher and more developers develop for iOS first.

Now, lets talk about my $700 Garmin POS nav!

-bad display
-poor, out of date map data, and I have the latest.
-poor routing (always tells you where the nearest fuel is as the crow flys)
-archaic interface. Takes forever to use!

Then ONLY reasons I use the garmin on the bike:
-waterproof
-works with leather gloves on.
-direct sunlight readable display

I always ended up using the iPad to plan my routes and the Garmin to just plot the points...ON A MOTORCYCLE....if I had been in a van I wouldn't have bothered with the Garmin.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Garmin thought this was a state highway! (Seriously) BTW, these two images are about 1500 miles apart Wink

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hans j
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have chosen an ipad tablet but the galaxy has expandable storage, one thing I wanted for use in the van.

Here is a track http://www.everytrail.com/view_trip.php?trip_id=2184695&code=f267b51d2d285d8eceddb79295e5e001 recorded on my way back from Syncro Solstice. Out in the middle of nowhere the tablet picks up GPS and can record it. You can download places you will be before hand on wifi if you want to see where you are while you are out there. Going to be the same on any device with Gaia. This track was recorded and then uploaded to gpsvisualizer.com (actually pretty cool!), google maps won't upload the full track for some reason.

But it's cool to see where you have been and if you download where you are going before hand, you can see where you are. It does take a while to save the maps beforehand, maybe I just haven't gotten used to it yet.

I looked into Garmin and others but the tablet is going to fit my needs for a multi purpose gadget in the van. I still keep a paper atlas and maps on the passenger seat when I drive around...
Royb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of forests, how does an iphone or other phone gps do under forest cover? Garmins had a hard time picking up satellites until they added the sirf chip. This could be important if driving in extensive cover, although more important hiking.
ragnarhairybreeks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I appreciate all the tips in this thread. I have an old, bog standard, bare bones but reliable Magellan GPS. No maps, just position, routes, waypoints, POI's etc. Works fine for marking places I want to return to.

Most of the camping I do is via logging roads here on Vancouver Island. I have maps, including some old Mac-Blo company logging road maps, but some of you know how many of the logging roads have been blocked, bridges removed, and roads over-grown.

One hack I use on occasion (and it is a bit of an awkward hack) is to max out the cache in google earth (4 Gigs?) on my laptop, then survey the area I am planning to travel around. I zoom in to all the spots I want to explore. Then I take the laptop with me on the trip. I can get lat and long from the old gps then enter the coords in google earth and get my location on the sat. image.

Works fine until you stray out of the area you have cached on the laptop Smile

Of course as I'm doing that I'm wishing I had an iPad or other tablet mounted on dash giving me the fix quicker.

cheers

alistair
Old address still works...
http://shufti.wordpress.com
Steve Arndt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you go the ipad route, be aware the non 3G (wifi only) ipad doesn't include the GPS chip. It only has compass. Very annoying since I didn't know that before acquiring one.

Steve
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

> One problem I forgot to mention with using the iPhone is that you cannot turn off the cell radio without turning off the GPS. This means if you are out of cell service or have crappy reception your phone will kill it's battery in a few hours desperately hunting for cell service while you use the GPS.

So True!
However, I use my iPhone with Navigon in a dock on my Syncro Dash, so its plugged in to power.

I ran a Nuvi side by side with my iPhone, and they both lost reception on the same parts of Highway 17, so I ditched the Nuvi, one less device to keep charged..

otoh, my iPhone loses reception in parts of Big Sur, where cvBills Nuvi does not lose reception. Its a close call, but the iPhone has less reception than a Nuvi, in parts of Big Sur.

Ive never tried Gaia, sounds powerful. Navigon does not do topography, although it seems to have every single road I could ever imagine. In fact, it has roads that don't even exist.

For example, I followed my iPhones instructions using Navigon in Death Valley, it got me stranded in a saline dust trap. It was using a no longer existent road to reach the Hot Springs, 2 miles before the road that actually works now.

Navigon has no track feature either, and it is not a hiking GPS by any stretch.

> Speaking of forests, how does an iphone or other phone gps do under forest cover? Garmins had a hard time picking up satellites until they added the sirf chip. This could be important if driving in extensive cover, although more important hiking.

I would say the iPhone GPS reception is close to slightly worse than a Garmin with SIRF. My gamins have all had SIRF. There are many terrain scenarios that electronic GPS fail to get signal, both iPhone and Garmin, deep canyons, tree cover, and surprisingly also on the South Coast Ridge road in Big Sur, which has a totally clear view of the sky. (Conspiracy theory, Fort Hunter Ligget maintains a GPS blackout zone to prevent aliens from landing)

otoh, where there IS GPS reception, my iPhone running Navigon works great!

Like others mention, I do spend a great deal of time preparing for a trip, using google maps, and paper maps, to locate, confirm, and save waypoints into my iPhone's Navigon app.

For example, next week when we go to Tahoe, I have pre saved routes with multiple waypoints so I can choose several different routes to our destination. You can see the google maps routes in the get together thread linked in my signature. I have Navigon routes saved to do those routes. I also carry paper maps marked with the same waypoints, and compass.
T3 Pilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Checkout Fugawi iMap.

The most important part in every vehicle is the nut behind the wheel......
Royb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I asked the technology folks at the Forest Service and found out that they tested various GPS brands and an iPad and found that the iPad performs pretty comparably, including under forest cover!

http://www.fs.fed.us/database/gps/mtdcrept/accuracy/index.htm
240Gordy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uh, i dont think the map/photo correspond to the coorinates . . .
1985 GL now with more! a 2.1L
H&R SPORT(RED) Springs FRONT , SLAM SPECIALTIES RE6 AIRBAGS REAR
240Gordy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

geo_tonz wrote:
dobryan wrote:
Here is a topo shot near Nunavut:

Your screen shot is 75km north of the US border in the most densely populated province in Canada. They do have good coverage there, kinda like our version of upstate New York. Nunavut is another 1100km north of that. Like a more remote Alaska.

Your not selling me on Gaia if that's the locale it comes up with when you type in Nunavut! It's like saying in Maryland you are right beside Florida...same distance. Shocked

If it used google maps images though I'm interested. Bing really sucks the more remote you get and some topo programs only use that.

Dude that is Iglulik crescent in Iqualuit.
1985 GL now with more! a 2.1L
H&R SPORT(RED) Springs FRONT , SLAM SPECIALTIES RE6 AIRBAGS REAR
geo_tonz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

240Gordy wrote:

Nope! Ena Lake and MacFarlane River just north of Kenora, Ontario.

You need a GPS! Laughing
syncromike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mostly use AccuTerra on my iPhone in back country. It's pretty nice. I won't do turn-by-turn navigation, but I wouldn't trust using that from any app since you never know when a forest road will wash out or something.

AccuTerra does have:
-download maps ahead of time so you don't need cell signal
-accurate GPS
-clearly marked trailheads
-shows Jeep Trails as well as forest service roads
-shows land ownership so you can always make sure you're camping on BLM/Forest service land (this is huge for me)
-trip tracking, with location-tagged photos, and ability to share routes on the Web

http://mobile.accuterra.com/
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Twitter Instagram Classifieds Feedback
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

geo_tonz wrote:
240Gordy wrote:

Nope! Ena Lake and MacFarlane River just north of Kenora, Ontario.

You need a GPS! Laughing

geo tonz was correct when he made that post. My first post had a screen shot of an area further south as he said. I was fooling around with zooming in and out and accidentally moved the map view much further south than where it first specified and then did the screen shot. I then went back and did it again for Nunavut and took a screen shot of Iqualuit as I should have the first time.

My apologies to geo tonz since now it looks like he is commenting incorrectly when he really was right when he made that post! Embarassed

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
grnson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about Dual Sport Maps for android devices?https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.dualsportmaps.android I've used it on my motorcycle as well as in the syncro. Does the job and has the ability to download offline maps. I like the ability to upload tracks to the web and look at them on the computer rather than just on the phone or tablet. I think it has far more capability than I use it for but it serves the purpose. One device to keep up with rather than multiples is always a good thing.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: