Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Billet heads
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:56 am    Post subject: Re: Billet heads at near future: what is stock headstudspacing? Reply with quote

2618 seems reasonable, and easier to work with.

"Creep" is more of a factor in the long haul, slightly different from pure strength values. TIME is a factor in creep.

It IS strange that many high dollar heads seem like they are made of the "wrong" alloy, but I think most billet heads do not actually run for many hours or many heat cycles.
-Alex77-
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:36 am    Post subject: Re: Billet heads Reply with quote

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-turbo-forum/527412...turbo.html

https://www.fvd.net/us-en/FVD10499302/billet-993gt2-993-turbo-cylinder-head.html

http://www.cferacing.com/?pid=67

https://www.sonnysracingengines.com/cylinder-heads...inder-head
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:05 am    Post subject: Re: Billet heads Reply with quote

"2618 aluminum alloy, as commonly used for F1 & GT race pistons which has the highest possible material strength at elevated temperatures"

highest possible, no, there is always something better.

I'd like some BRONZE cylinder heads Laughing
-Alex77-
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:25 am    Post subject: Re: Billet heads Reply with quote

I asked today price for 280x180x140 blocks from 2219 T6 and 2618 T6 materials, lets see how much the material costs.. Laughing
-Alex77-
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:37 am    Post subject: Re: Billet heads Reply with quote

So far got some material prices per one head:

2219 T6 around $450

6082 T651 around $195€
Tobias Bylund
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:59 am    Post subject: Re: Billet heads Reply with quote

Comp eliminators are 356 T6 i believe, have you heard anything indicating that they have problems with longevity? They have been around for quite a number of years now. I would have to imagine that as a cheaper material option... What is used in the MS230 heads from JPM?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: Billet heads Reply with quote

be sure to factor everything when you choose a alloy, repair,corosion,hardness,soft ness, brinnellability etc. everything. 355,356& Ive heard some 345 for air cooled.personaly if I wanted to see if my system&thinking was going to work Im not sure I would put the highest cost alloy for a test bed...hell acast block would be cheep and you can work it all out inexpensivily then get to the exspurts for the "right" alloy once you have it perfected.
veeweeman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: Billet heads Reply with quote

Try milling Styrofoam and make the casting from that...same process gm uses to cast their blocks.
UK Luke 72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: Billet heads Reply with quote

Sorry I've not really followed the thread but are you making these to sell or because you can and want to for yourself?
Only reason I ask is because I'm not sure the market really needs this type of thing, does it?
Thorsten Piper
JPM
Mexxspeed

Are all making monster heads that are proven, what does these do better or cheaper than the others?
-Alex77-
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: Billet heads Reply with quote

Depends where there are proven...I think mostly JPM is proven all around with big flow and HP numbers that are truely streetable.

Mexxspeed is only for race use which does not use single standard parts on valvetrain either..

Dual ignition? What a waste... Laughing

JPM uses A356 which is less stronger and loses its strength at high temperatures at same pace as 6061 T6, as you can see in earlier posted charts.

At the moment mostly for me and few other interested i am getting heads done.

I'v got other company that is on my list, they have been making billet heads long time now, they have their own "secret" , but proven material:

http://www.specialmotorsengineering.fi/fi/TUOTTEET/Sylinterikannet/Billet+kannet.html
UK Luke 72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: Billet heads Reply with quote

That's cool. I wasn't trying to piss on your chips, I applaud the creativity and enthusiasm... We need more! Just hoping you weren't putting all of your eggs in this basket Smile
-Alex77-
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Billet heads Reply with quote

No worries Laughing One CNC machine company is interested to make the heads few sets, but they are still calculating the price - which obviosly needs to low enough for worldwide market..
-Alex77-
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Billet heads Reply with quote

First pair of Type 1 billet heads are ready. These heads will go with 50x40 type 4 valves to street/strip 90x101.6=2919cc engine which will run with E85 fuel.

We will be using stock bails with billet valvecovers, but valvecover seal flange at bottom ends have smaller radius, this will make possible to have up to 54x40 valves with pauter rockers.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Billet heads Reply with quote

cost?
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Billet heads Reply with quote

round ex port??? be a shame to sand blast those pretty heads to get them to release more heat. nice pair of jugs Shocked !! i would heat cycle them quite a few times bolted togeather (on dummy case) before the final machininh&assy.
-Alex77-
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:55 am    Post subject: Re: Billet heads Reply with quote

I 'v got the first time now the billet head to my own hands from my friend.

2mm thick and with 3mm gap the cooling fins look very good.

Ports have good size short side radius and very little porting to be done. At end of this year, heads will go the hearporter to get finished and for flowbench testing.

Tested Pauter 1.4 rockers and they fit very well, roller end of the rocker is at center of the valvestem.

Got one valvecover from my friend who made them with 3 Axis CNC machine, they fit very tight and bails work like on stock valvecovers.

Overall quality of the heads is nice, but i was hoping a bit improvement at machining quality if order my own heads from Elmer Racing later at this year, as they have better tools and experience. Material would be 6082 T651

https://www.facebook.com/ElmerRacingDotCom/

Only problem though, i need to buy 3 pairs at same time, to get price around to 2300€ per pair. Anyone interested?

I am sure that eventually price will drop more.

Valvecovers would be 300€/pair, either for stock bails or bolt on with M18x1.5 vent hose thread at ends.

Heads can be either 94mm bore or 101.6mm bore, ports for 48x38, 50x40 or 54x40 valves or specific setup. 54x40 choice needs exhaust valves moved outwards about 1,5-2mm.

Chamber on the 101.6mm head is about 55-58cc

Chamber on the 94mm head is about 50-53cc

Larger turbo specific chamber can be also designed invidually.

-Alex77-
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:58 am    Post subject: Re: Billet heads Reply with quote

jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Billet heads Reply with quote

They look nice but the price would be a factor, the JPM heads are only a little more and have a service record.
-Alex77-
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Billet heads Reply with quote

That is somewhat true, especially because at the moment billet heads are not massproduced. Only "Problem" JPM heads that valvesize is limited about to 49x39 or so, as 94mm and 101.6mm bore have same valvespacing.

Billet heads can made basically without any extra cost with different port sizes ,custom valvespacing and chambers.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Billet heads Reply with quote

and canted valves, and rotated chambers, and.....the list go's on!!!!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8

Jump to: