Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Go Westy Center console
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
costal_cat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HoustonPhotog wrote:

viola. I love it! I mounted a JL Audio 300 watt monoblock amp behind the glove box in order to power the sub...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Man that is just awesome looking!!! How does it sound with that set up? Does it rattle your drinks out? Surprised
HoustonPhotog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had my eye on these consoles for awhile and finally pulled the trigger on one with the intent on tweaking it so that I could add a subwoofer to it. I wanted a sub in the van but i didnt want to sacrifice any storage area in the living space.

stock console

removed the guts of it

built a sub box

plenty of room for a 10" JL Audio 10TW3-D4. I knew a 8" sub would fit fine but i figured I could get a 10 in there. hehe.

covered the sub box with a sheet of faux carbon fiber vinyl

viola. I love it! I mounted a JL Audio 300 watt monoblock amp behind the glove box in order to power the sub...

nwester
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We use these dash consoles from gowesty, and they work great. They are attached to our dash cover via Velcro. Love them. We also have a very small console on the floor just big enough for two drink holders and a space for receipts and coins. Between these three consoles, we have lots of room for miscellaneous things without any interference to easy access to the back or interference to turning the captains chairs around.

paparhino
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: consoles Reply with quote

Indytriple, glad you like your console, I make them. The reason I don't use drawer glides is space, I wanted to maximize it. Plus any kind of hardware rattles and can fail. When I made mine I realized with the lip I didn't need any drawer handle and no one knows it's a drawer. My van got rifled and it is the ONLY place they didn't look! After that I decided to leave it the way it is. as for the catch it was the easiest, most cost effective catch out there. I've been using mine for over 1 1/2 years and no issues.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
indytriple
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I received my Rhino center console a few days ago from Van Cafe.

http://www.h2ovanagon.com/Accessories.aspx

I'm pleased with the quality and workmanship of the unit. It is solid. Here are a few things to note:

-The drawer does not use "slides", it's a simple "friction" fit. I would prefer a smoother action, but it's not too bad.

-The drawer has a simple metal/plastic roller catch that keeps it shut. There is a small, raised lip at the top of the drawer that you grab with your fingers to open the drawer. There is a good chance that I will add some kind of nice, small handle in the future to assist with the opening and closing.

-There is no catch that keeps the drawer from being pulled all of the way out, so kids may have a little trouble opening it gracefully without yanking it all the way out.

-The drawer unexpectedly came with a tiny, motion-sensitive LED light built into the inside of the face of the drawer. The light sits flush into the wood in it's own recess, and with a simple twist it is very easily removable in case you don't want it or you need to change the batteries. It takes 3 small button-style batteries. I was going to add a light anyway, so this a a really nice, clean solution.

-The console has a set of simple, slightly cheesy, silver, vinyl "P R N D 1 2" stickers facing the driver on the inside edge of the piece that goes around the auto shifter. They are functional, but I find them to be somewhat unnecessary (I simply use feel to know where I am) and a tad unsightly. They look very easy to remove if they don't suit you.

-The unit comes with hardware to mount it to the van, but no instructions. There are two pre-drilled, countersunk holes in the bottom of the console towards the back of the van. To bolt the unit down, you must drill two small holes through the metal floor of the van as well as the jute carpet padding and the carpet itself. If you have a center mat of any kind, you'll have to put two holes in it as well. I'm choosing to eliminate my center mat, as I don't think it's going to work well with this console. You'll have to drop your spare tire so you can tighten down the nuts underneath the van. You could choose not to bolt it down, but I it would make a very dangerous projectile in an accident. It is very heavy with lots of sharp edges. I also think that it would very slowly migrate to the rear of the vehicle if not attached. The surface it sits on is very slightly sloped, which causes it to work its way back if not connected to the van. I'm not real excited about drilling holes in my van, so I have considered using a very strong heavy-duty velcro to attach it to the carpet. I'm still deciding what I want to do.

-There is just enough room for a child or a smaller, skinnier person to get their legs between the unit and the seat pedestals. I find it easier to lift my leg up and over the unit. Either way, it's a massive improvement over my center console that used to sit directly in the center aisle. It has just as much space and storage, but places it in a much more practical, out-of-the way space.

-It looks very, very nice in the van. It looks stock to the untrained eye.

87 Vanagon Westy Auto Bostig

www.bluegrassbicyclecompany.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Additional Topics:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=226934

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=445399

Wolf makes pretty nice consoles. I've had mine for 12 years now.

http://www.thefind.com/cars/info-van-console
Bruce Wayne
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

StormyVan wrote:
Hey all take a peek at this one.
http://www.4wheelparts.com/Interior-Parts-Accessor...S%2fB31715

I use one of these and love it. Great cup holders and all metal lockable security consule. For 90 bucks. Bolts to the floor nice also. Oh also comes in multiple colors.

Cheers Ryan

does it get it the way of the armrests on the seats? that looks like the best one I've seen so far.
designer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ryan,

have any photos of that installed? Looks like a potential roadblock getting through the tunnel. As with all of the consoles except the $280. one. but the pictures are crap for the syncro one.

-thanks!
-cc-
StormyVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use one of these and love it. Great cup holders and all metal lockable security consule. For 90 bucks. Bolts to the floor nice also. Oh also comes in multiple colors.

Cheers Ryan
StormyVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Ryan
indytriple
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
We have

in our vanagons. We have the short one, but they make a tall version also.

These are very nice and well designed, but not cheap at about $280 shipped.

They also come in a few colors, and have a version for automatics.

http://www.h2ovanagon.com/Portals/1/Documents/Rhino%20Consoles%20Brochure.pdf

There is room to move to the rear without getting your feet caught up. Drawer hides "stuff" from easy viewing too.

I saw that Van Cafe sells them now as well:

http://www.van-cafe.com/home/van/page_2067

Made by these folks in Cali:

http://rhinodesignstudio.com/index.html

I was hoping to find a good review of these. I really love my center console, but once we're camped and the front seats in the Westy are swiveled, I definitely don't like it there. If I "hide" it in the footwell in front of one of the seats I can't get stuff in and out of it. This provides the solution in a nice, tidy (albeit pricey) package. Does it mount to the floor or the plastic air distribution piece or does it simply slide over/around the shifter and stay put with gravity? How does the drawer open and close and does it have a latch? Is anyone else using one, and do you have more pictures?

87 Vanagon Westy Auto Bostig

www.bluegrassbicyclecompany.com
devesvws
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rockfish wrote:
@ john:

Thanks for posting these consoles. The best I've seen - expensive, but the best.
i'l say Shocked been the middle console route and a clean path to the rear is soooo much easier to live with.
THE FEW THE PROUD THE ORIGINAL VW WATERBOXER -> looking for a original 91 vanagon owners manual with 1991 on the cover http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmuiG2tUsP4&feature=share https://picasaweb.google.com/101290228103300323836/BostonBobFlywheelVideo#5543000332201103922
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
climberjohn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A tip for these consoles, if you do decide to get one:

Glue some coarse (60?) grit sandpaper onto the bottom. The sandpaper grips the carpet and minimizes the console sliding around when driving.

-CJ
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rockfish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ john:

Thanks for posting these consoles. The best I've seen - expensive, but the best.

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts."
- John Wooden
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have

in our vanagons. We have the short one, but they make a tall version also.

These are very nice and well designed, but not cheap at about $280 shipped.

They also come in a few colors, and have a version for automatics.

http://www.h2ovanagon.com/Portals/1/Documents/Rhino%20Consoles%20Brochure.pdf

There is room to move to the rear without getting your feet caught up. Drawer hides "stuff" from easy viewing too.

Please do NOT send me Private Messages through the Samba PM System (I will not see them). Send me an e-mail to john at aircooled dot net

"Like" our Facebook page at
http://www.facebook.com/vwpartsaircoolednet
and get a 5% off code for use on one order for VW Parts ON OUR PARTS STORE WEBSITE, vwparts.aircooled.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
climberjohn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found mine was a PITA. It blocks passage between front seat and rear of van. YMMV, of course, but I did not care for mine. I have one for sale cheap in Portland if anyone wants to buy it locally.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
theadventureneverends
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was going to purchase the one from GW. I was at WM buying oil and browsed the car section. I came across a console that looked identical to GWs for at least half the price. I bought it and am very happy with my purchase. I did not attach it to the floor. I have a 91 Syncro Westy it matches my interior perfectly and I can move it on the rare occasions I want. It has four cup holders that are utilized. I am very happy with it.
Royb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like ours- cupholders for the front and back are handy; lots of storage, grey colr blends in well. Not stunning quality, but my 2-year olds walk on it a lot and it hasn't broken yet...
S4VAGE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captjon1959 wrote:
I love GoWesty but they sell the exact same unit at Walmart for $29. I have it in my Westy and cut a wooden base that fits inside the bottom to add weight and some velcro so it doesn't slide when I accelerate or break.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Minivan-Console-Grey/16817488

I guess in fairness the Walmart one is plastic and is not upholstered it that matters.

Ditto on everything above. We didn't do a wooden base, but there are dozens of easy permanent or temporary ways to keep these from sliding around and save enough $ to fill your gas tank. We have had ours for about 4 years and no complaints. We even found one with tan accents rather than grey so it matches our brown interior in our tin top. Ours must be an older version. It doesn't have the rear upper part, but otherwise identical.

We also have a GoWesty one in our Poptop Van that was there from the PO. Agree that there is a quality difference, but once it's filled with stuff, I have never have cared or regretted the walmart purchase.
One more islander...
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Straight from the factory:

http://www.tsiproducts.com/dotnetnuke/Consoles/tabid/56/Default.aspx

According to Amazon, this is the company that makes these. It looks as if the GoWesty model is 544 with the upholstered top; the others are 543 without. The built-in powered ones are kind of cool...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: