Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Petrol (gas) smell
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Petrol (gas) smell Reply with quote

Well I must admit a couple things. I know at least the connections behind the fire wall are seemingly good since I replaced them less than two years ago. As for the upper rear corner connections, I haven't inspected them.
But curious and parts here tomorrow, I tore into the fuel neck to discover this:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

As you can see there is a very large rip along the top. Here you can see that it was also ripped along the rear section and the bottom lip too.

This is the setup found in my March 74 Westy. Rubber flex hose from tank to metal tube to rubber fuel neck.

And for the purist and sake of documention, given part #

I'll determine tomorrow evening if this seemingly helped at all. Certainly couldn't hurt anything. I wonder what the effects of running these things in such poor condition does to performance, let alone all the fuel running throughout the circular black port panel cavity.

Oct. ’67 Double Cab (’68 Crew Cab)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44412.png]Click to view image[/URL]
March '69 Delivery (Panel Bus)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44414.png]Click to view image[/URL]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DougB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Petrol (gas) smell Reply with quote

So here's an interesting question...I had been getting a very faint fuel smell in the van intermittently. Seemed to be most noticeable (and that's barely so) when I fill up and then park the bus, with the full tank. I've checked my hoses and none are leaking. The smell tended to be most noticeable at the right engine bay vent just behind the rear side windows.

Today I was replacing my rear passenger seat belt, and had to remove the lower anchor bolts...and when I removed the bolt, I noticed a fuel smell coming from the seat belt anchor belt hole. Could this indicate something leaking inside the gas tank area? I didn't notice any cracks in the rubber elbow piece by the gas cap.

Thanks!
- Doug
'41 Zundapp KS600
'55 Puch SGS250
A very, very understanding wife
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
white74westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Petrol (gas) smell Reply with quote

DougB wrote:
So here's an interesting question...I had been getting a very faint fuel smell in the van intermittently. Seemed to be most noticeable (and that's barely so) when I fill up and then park the bus, with the full tank. I've checked my hoses and none are leaking. The smell tended to be most noticeable at the right engine bay vent just behind the rear side windows.

Today I was replacing my rear passenger seat belt, and had to remove the lower anchor bolts...and when I removed the bolt, I noticed a fuel smell coming from the seat belt anchor belt hole. Could this indicate something leaking inside the gas tank area? I didn't notice any cracks in the rubber elbow piece by the gas cap.

Thanks!
- Doug

There are hoses inside the gas tank compartment that must be tended to, every so often. If that doesn't do it, it is possible the o-ring under the sender may be bad. Finally, you may also want to inspect the filler neck. Hope that helps!

Cool

Edit: Thanks to R. Atwell

Check behind the firewall. If you visit Ratwell's site, go under restoration and look at the first image under Fuel tank repair, you'll see two hoses that might be the culprit(s).

Not sure if the link works: http://www.ratwell.com/dotmac/Thumbnails/Tank/01-TankAndStrapsLookGood.JPG-thumb_140_105.jpg
DougB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:33 am    Post subject: Re: Petrol (gas) smell Reply with quote

I got into my gas tank area last night and replaced the 4 small hose segments, as well as the filler neck rubber and the large hose. My bus is a '75, so it originally had the longer, curved rubber hose, but I bought the later longer pipe and the shorter section of large straight hose (didn't know about the MB hose with the middle bulge when I bought the straight hose from Bus Depot).

So, one thing I did notice after installing the later pipe is that it does affect routing of the right side breather pipe that's routed through that same area. I had to adjust placement a bit, and may have bent the breather pipe just a tad to make it all work. This morning's gas fill-up and drive to work was fume-free...I'm going to run out and check the fume situation soon, but I may be in good shape now.

Also, what a pain those two screws that come in from under the car to secure the firewall plate are...I think Bentley could have included a statement about those in the book Wink

Thanks for the guidance!

- Doug
'41 Zundapp KS600
'55 Puch SGS250
A very, very understanding wife
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
white74westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Petrol (gas) smell Reply with quote

DougB wrote:
I got into my gas tank area last night and replaced the 4 small hose segments, as well as the filler neck rubber and the large hose. My bus is a '75, so it originally had the longer, curved rubber hose, but I bought the later longer pipe and the shorter section of large straight hose (didn't know about the MB hose with the middle bulge when I bought the straight hose from Bus Depot).

So, one thing I did notice after installing the later pipe is that it does affect routing of the right side breather pipe that's routed through that same area. I had to adjust placement a bit, and may have bent the breather pipe just a tad to make it all work. This morning's gas fill-up and drive to work was fume-free...I'm going to run out and check the fume situation soon, but I may be in good shape now.

Also, what a pain those two screws that come in from under the car to secure the firewall plate are...I think Bentley could have included a statement about those in the book Wink

Thanks for the guidance!

- Doug

Oh man...I totally forgot to mention the two screws. Made an assumption. Embarassed

When I did my filler tube, I had a piece made at a muffler shop. I took the original long rubber piece in and had it replicated. Worked well.

Glad to help and that it seems to have worked out! Cool
Globespotter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: Petrol (gas) smell Reply with quote

Thought I would post that I FINALLY fixed my gas smell/spillage on fill up.

The problem was that the rubber filler elbow was not sealing properly on the opening so when full gas would leak between the rubber elbow and the bus body. Normally it should be sealed with a metal plate and screws and the rubber should just seal against the body. Mine was not sealing properly.

I used Seal-All to seal the rubber all around. Now there is zero smell or spillage on fill up.

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/seal-all-contact-adhesive-and-sealant-380112/7010007-P
1971 Super Beetle - 1977-1980

1971 SB Survivor Story: https://globespotter.com/
Road Trip Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=511800&highlight=
My 77 Westy Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=647114&highlight=

http://vw-mplate.com/mcode.php?lang=EN&id=30990
https://vw-type2-id.xyz/mplate/72067382
tweeter77
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Petrol (gas) smell Reply with quote

Sometimes I forget about this wealth of knowledge and experience on this site. I started troubleshooting a fuel smell. Found one obvious leak. My first task will be replacing the line on the left side above the auxiliary battery. After that I plan on inspecting all the hose that connect to the tank. I did notice some leakage on the right side above the main battery do you think that is the filler tube?

Link
canadadude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Petrol (gas) smell Reply with quote

I have a 73 transporter van and trying to get my firewall cover off and struggling !Is there 2 screws underneath the van holding the cover on along with the other screws in engine bay?

ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Petrol (gas) smell Reply with quote

Yes
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Petrol (gas) smell Reply with quote

ivwshane wrote:
Yes

sometimes more but 2 is normal
ac78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 10:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Petrol (gas) smell Reply with quote

I wanted add my leak scenario from a few years ago. I was able to smell gas from the back seat, but was more prominent from outside the bus. The original metal tube which I believe is "12" on the diagram was weeping when under pressure. When inspecting the pipe, there was no visible hole, only pitting in the metal. I removed the pipe and filled with water. Held one end with my finger while blowing on the other end I was able see it seep out the middle of the pipe. Don't forget to really check that one as well when replacing your rubber fuel lines.

VW Campmobile
For people who believe a family's
car should be it's castle !
canadadude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: Petrol (gas) smell Reply with quote

Anyone have any further info where the two screws are?I can’t seem to see anything from underneath?
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: Petrol (gas) smell Reply with quote

canadadude wrote:
Anyone have any further info where the two screws are?I can’t seem to see anything from underneath?

Early bays have four:

Late bays have two:

The factory painted them white for this reason, so you will too when you find them, right? Razz
Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
canadadude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: Petrol (gas) smell Reply with quote

Thanks for the pics mines undercoated from new so I should be able to find them now!
canadadude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Petrol (gas) smell Reply with quote

Rubber hose 1/2 inch 90 degree one was cracked wide open !Appreciate the help everyone!Gotta find a kit and do all hoses at once.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Petrol (gas) smell Reply with quote

canadadude wrote:
Rubber hose 1/2 inch 90 degree one was cracked wide open !Appreciate the help everyone!Gotta find a kit and do all hoses at once.

read this thread the whole way thru. I think it is what you are dealing with https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
canadadude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Petrol (gas) smell Reply with quote

I’m removing my gas heater and there will be the spot on left side of cover left open after the duct is removed what have others used to cover this hole up?

peagreenbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: Petrol (gas) smell Reply with quote

I too am trying to solve a petrol smell.

78 bay with type 4 engine (originally from California). Some PO has ripped out the FI and fitted a daft empi thing, which I have replaced with twin dellortos.
I have replaced most of the number 24 pipes. The red hard to get at one was rotten and in two bits. Its a bit of a fiddle to get a new one back on but a bit of washing up liquid helps.

So now on to the breather pipe that comes off the tee junction strapped to the top right inside of the engine bay. It goes off to a carbon filter (I guess that's what it is) tucked between the battery and right back light unit.
This black canister has a crack in it (smell ?) and a transparent pipe coming out of the top of it which is not connected to anything! (Smell?)
There is also another exit pipe connection at the bottom which is not connected to anything. (Smell?)
Can anyone tell me what to connect the two unconnected exit pipes to and also where I can find a new canister if it is still required without the original FI unit. I am presuming it is a carbon filter.
I can find no reference or photo for it.
Many thanks

busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: Petrol (gas) smell Reply with quote

It's not an FI only thing, carbed versions used one too.

A crack will definitely let the stink out. That's indeed a charcoal canister, the 2 pipes from the fuel tank vents Tee together and connect to the small nipple on the top. The large nipple on the top can go to one of your air cleaner lids, the lower nipple connects to a nipple on the cooling tin over cylinder #2.
New ones show up occasionally, some are a slightly different shape, as long as it has a big nipple on each end and one small one it'll work. Or you can try repairing yours with JB weld or Shoo goo (not sure if it's called that in Europe).

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
peagreenbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Petrol (gas) smell Reply with quote

Many thanks busdaddy
Very clear.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: