Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Blow through turbo carb seal?
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vdub411
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 5:49 am    Post subject: Blow through turbo carb seal? Reply with quote

SO....I'm running a 1776 dual Kad blow through turbo setup with an 009 disty that will never work. Oh how I love when someone says I can't do something. Well so far it's working, albeit only making 2psi of boost but it's only a weekend toy in progress.

My newest problem seems to be the cups that cover the carbs are leaking. I have tried numerous types of gasket material but they all get cut through. This is on a heavily abused off road toy and gets bounced around pretty good. What are you guys using to make your carb seal airtight??

Also having issues with oil coming out my valve cover breather box. I had my turbo oil return line (3/4") T'd into my valve cover breather lines (1/2"). I took apart the lines and ran my valve cover box to the oil neck and the turbo drain to the block off plate on the top of my block. I haven't had a chance to run it with this setup, just seeing if it's in the direction. We have a local mud bog this weekend and I'd like to make a few passes without blowing her up. Here's a short video from last weekends adventure.

Link

SandRails Coming Soon!!!
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You won't build much boost in first gear.

I can get 3 lbs boost in first on pavement and the hammer down.

My IHI turbo has an internal waste gate and is set for 6 lbs. With a MBC I have had it to 15 lbs boost and I'm sure it would go higher.

You either have a leak or something else is wrong unless you haven't loaded the engine enough to get higher boost.

If you are leaking at 2 lbs you are going to have big problems at any higher level. I have read of Kadrons having more pressure than that without issues.

You are a little premature bragging about how it can be done. Come back when you get above 10 lbs. and let us know how it's going........if you have an engine left... Wink Laughing

It's a whole new world out there when your air temps get above 150 degrees if you even have a way of measuring it.
Also, if you have a loud exhaust on there you won't even hear the detonation until it is too late and pieces of your pistons are going through the turbine........ Shocked

Take a good long look in the mirror and report back on what you see.

Paul.H wrote:
That one line on that chart is probably better info than you can get from this place in a month

My Megasquirt Fuel Injection Turbo Buggy Build
Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16
ECUMaster ADU5 Digital Dash

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=127936
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vdub411
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, if I make over 10lbs of boost I would be amazed since the floats would collapse themselves at 11-12lbs. I made 2lbs of boost at 53mph on the ride home from the trails. Not too worried about air temp just yet. In this video the ice had just thawed and it was around 40 degrees. And if I do blow the motor up, I'll buy another and try a different setup. Really not worried about it, just looking for advice. But thanks Very Happy Rolling Eyes Laughing

Oh and how many Kads have you tried to blow through out of curiosity?
SandRails Coming Soon!!!
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vdub411 wrote:

Oh and how many Kads have you tried to blow through out of curiosity?

I ran Kadrons N/A for enough years to realize they are not optimal for turbo use. As you are doing and will find out.
I see I misread your post since I thought your Carb top gaskets were leaking. I now see it is your turbo tops leaking instead. Good luck with that as you obviously think you know it all.

I changed jets for two summers on my buggy on a single carb and I could have the carb out and on the bench in 5 minutes. I can't imagine how long it takes you to remove and change jets on two carbs.....if you have even gotten to that point yet.

Since my experience is with a 34 Pict-3 and now Fuel Injection I will make sure to never comment on your post or problems ever again.

Take a good long look in the mirror and report back on what you see.

Paul.H wrote:
That one line on that chart is probably better info than you can get from this place in a month

My Megasquirt Fuel Injection Turbo Buggy Build
Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16
ECUMaster ADU5 Digital Dash

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=127936
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kadub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: Blow through turbo carb seal? Reply with quote

vdub411 wrote:
... I have tried numerous types of gasket material but they all get cut through...

We need more info about this to be able to help you. Some pictures of what you've got would be a good idea, since most aren't blowing through kads. I think they're round on top...how about a hose clamp on some silicon boost hose Idea

There's nothing new about running an 009 on a boosted engine, it's just been done so many times that we all know you're leaving a lot of power and tunability behind. Therefore people trying to actually help you suggest better options while pointing out the weak points of the 009. Of course it "can be done", but what's the point, other than get 'r running cheap and ASAP. And what is the point of adding a turbo if you're only going to run 2psi ?? There is something wrong in the setup, like a large leak or a wastegate problem, or completely wrong size turbo for the application. If you've locked or limited your 009 at some retarded timing, just to feed it 2psi, you're completely wasting what power that engine has to offer. You can hear the turbo wanting to spool, because of the retarded timing of nothing else. At 2psi you shouldn't need to pull ANY timing unless it's on the ragged edge...not likely. You also haven't begin to deal with tuning the carbs with any significant amount of boost, so don't get too confident just yet.

Since it looks like you actually use your baja to have fun off-road and aren't afraid to beat it up a little, I'd honestly pull all the added weight and complication of the turbo "package" out of the mix and enjoy a much more responsive, free-breathing engine w/out all the complications. Either that or get serious about making some boost and actually start tuning it, so you can enjoy more than just the sound of a turbo Very Happy
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: