Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

EZ Tail Light Upgrade
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:34 pm    Post subject: EZ Tail Light Upgrade Reply with quote

In quest for brighter lights in back, I added an extra lamp where the european fog lamp goes, after making a clip to fit in the un-used socket.
I upgraded from the stock 5 watt to 10 watt bulbs in the original and the new tail lamp positions.

I also wrapped shiny aluminum duct tape inside the lamp house, on all surfaces that the light bulbs see, sides, top and bottom.

This made a HUGE increase in light, even the back-up light was considerably brighter with the reflective tape over the black plastic for each lamp. With the shiny tape, the lamps even reflect headlights better than before, even when off.

even with stock bulbs you can get a nice increase in light by diligently covering all surfaces in each lamp enclosure. even the stop and turn lights which have parabolic reflectors still can use the tape. the turn signal has some spots on the bottom of its enclosure to be taped, and the stop lamp enclosure can have some partially circular pieces cut to fit on the sides. cut the tape into little bits over lapping the peices in hard to get at areas (stop lamp for instance) use of a tweezer and tiny stick can help in the positioning of the shiny tape. The tail lamp can benifit a great deal, you can even shape the tape into a fillet in the corner to ensure 100% coverage with shiny tape.

Besure to give the lamp house a good washing in dishsoap using a soft paint brush to clean up the inner lenses and where you will stick the tape. you dont want to stick the tape on dirty surfaces. these lamp houses can get very dirty inside.
Syncroincity
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did the reflective tape in my tails a few years ago, it helps tremendously.

One thing about the US tails; the empty section is a reflector, and has Fresnel-like light benders molded into the inside. This has the effect of directing any light source in there downward, and it does not shine out like it should.
I have a set of Euro tails, and the lense is essentially flat inside, allowing use as a fog light.

If you can either grind flat, or maybe melt with a pencil torch, the reflective barbs in the US lense, you'll get much better output.

Vanagon Build: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=466866&highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: