Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Custom wheels for '77 Westy...
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
cdavisw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2003 7:45 am    Post subject: Custom wheels for '77 Westy... Reply with quote

are there any custom wheels available for my '77 westy (other than the BRM replicas) with the 5 112mm bolt pattern???[/b]
VW Addict Premium Member
Samba Salesman

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2003 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Customed? Like Riveria? Ansen? Want a VW Rim? Or anything that fits?
Billet_Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2003 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Audi and Mercedes come in 5-112 patterns also. I have my eye on a set of new Clk 18s Twisted Evil
Karl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2003 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be very careful when choosing Mercedes wheels....yes, they are all 5 x 112 [except for the G-wagon] BUT the wheel bolt holes are 2 different sizes. 12mm and 14mm. The bus wheel bolts are 14mm. This means you need the S class wheels; 140 body, 215 body, and 220 body. But the offset and width will be totally different.
Island Bwoy 420
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2003 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So Karl, I have a set of S 500 16 inch wheels. Will they be able to be a adapted to my 78 bus? They look sweet Twisted Evil I really want to put them on. Thanks
Island Bwoy 420
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2003 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So Karl, I have a set of S 500 16 inch wheels. Will they be able to be a adapted to my 78 bus? They look sweet Twisted Evil I really want to put them on. Thanks
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2003 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will put in my little shameless plug for the GoWesty alloys which (as they used to say in californianese from the 70's) are "knarly bitchin cool". I think they are made well, fit well, and stay in balance. I think they were about 5 bills for the 4.

I am running 215/65/15 Michelins on them.

http://www.john-perry.com/vw/gallery.html

You have to go to visitor photos, and they are there under "alloys" and "braless".
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
WAVEPIMP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2003 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may have to open the hub area up some as well. Your wheel hubs may be bigger than the middle hole of your rim. I had to use a high speed file bit on a air die grinder to open up mine to get them on.

Just another thought to think about as well. 14mm bolt holes are what you need and you may have to get longer wheel studs also. Porsche 911 and 911 turbo studs are what I had to use. 911 turbo are a bit longer than the regular 911. I think I had to use the turbo's on the front if I'm not mistaken. I have 17" porsche cups that were blanks and drilled to 5x112 pattern with 14mm studs. Do some research or if you can, see if they will fit first befor you buy.

Laters James
GermanLookT2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 6:59 pm    Post subject: width? and what about the axle nuts Reply with quote

umm what about fitting wheels over the massive axle nut on the rear??? I just read what you said on the sizes I found a massive amount of benz rims, but some look like they woul be tooo close whats the widest youd go too?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: