Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Not quite happy with idle
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
allihjelm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:15 pm    Post subject: Not quite happy with idle Reply with quote

Hi guys.

I have a question for you regarding my VW 1300 1967 6v. I just got the engined tuned by a local guy here after experiencing a choppy ride recently.

He set the valves, timing and carburettor and I also changed the spark plugs in the process. I'm still experiencing a choppy ride when the engine is cold, kind of like it's misfiring every now and then. This might be due to the engine running too rich.

Also, I find the engine rev too high while idling (both when hot and cold) but when I slow the revs with the idle screw the engine has a hard time idling. I can also hear a random whistle from the exhaust pipes when the engine is idling.

Here is a video of the engine idling while warm.

Link

What do you guys think, is the engine revving too high when idling and could this possible be due to the engine running too rich?

Hope I got my point across. Very Happy

Thanks, Al
61SNRF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The idle speed is interrelated with the basic ignition timing, the idle speed stop screw and the idle mixture screw. All must be monitored when doing a tune up, and when set to specification should remain stable for ~10,000 km or so.

In your video the idle speed does sound too high. It is hard to say how much too high though, it's best checked with a tachometer. It could be the idle speed screw, timing, choke sticking or A/F mixture too rich. That is what you paid the mechanic to check, right? If you took it to a mechanic experienced in ACVW tune ups, then he should know all this. Maybe he doesn't have a 6 volt tach, or doesn't know how to use a 12 volt tach on a 6 volt car? If you are not satisfied, you may have to take it back.

To educate yourself and for background information, here is a link to some good, basic info on setting the carb and timing to specs on your car...
http://www.vw-resource.com/tune-up.html

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: