Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

AM/PM-ARCO
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
AZ_Ron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2003 8:50 am    Post subject: AM/PM-ARCO Reply with quote

AM/PM-Arco's gas is terrible.
I have a very trusted friend who's been a mechanic for decades who warned me about Arco gas. It's got some impurities in it that create some pretty nasty carbon deposits over time on the valves. He's got a shop out in Sun City (retirement community) where LOTS of the people are filling up with ARCO gas, because it's the cheapest by a few cents to a dime a gallon... When he works on their cars and comes across lots of carbon, almost everytime they've been using Arco gas exclusively.
We don't have many shell stations out here in AZ, but he said that he's not encountered these problems with the folks who are using Chevron, Texaco, Exxon, or QT's (Quik Trip). He uses QT's gas himself, as it's almost the same price as Arco's, sometimes lower, and believes it to be on par with anyone elses gas.
Just an FYI, and I'm relating what I was told by a person I totally trust when it comes to vehicles.

Thanks!!

Ron
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
wgargan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2003 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks ron, thats good to know. i try to always use chevron, but some time the price is real tempting at the "other" places.
lc

1983.5 Watercooled Vanagon 'L' Automatic transmission
chabanais
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2003 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only use ARCO gas (8.5 years) because it's less expensive and I've never had any problems anywhere. Time to re-do your science experiment maybe.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2003 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've signed the pledge, you should too, don't buy exxon-mobile gas!!
http://www.dontbuyexxonmobil.org/

my .02
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Classifieds Feedback
ratwell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2003 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are only a few refiners and the prices are fixed if you haven't noticed. Even those folks who don't advertize at all don't seem to be aprpeciably cheaper than those who do.

If the gas is subtantially less than the rest then they are probably putting something else in the gas. When I lived in Texas, Racetrack was this kind of gas station. At first I thought I was saving money but it made both cars run poorly and I stopped filling up there after a few months.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AZ_Ron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2003 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like I said...I'm just the messenger... Don't Shoot The Messenger!!
I just relayed what he told me, and I've had problems when I used to use nothing but Arco gas... Still use it on occasion, but very rarely.
It's a free country... Well, sort of! Use whatever spins your crank!
Very Happy

R
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
chabanais
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2003 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gotcha. My understanding is that all of the major gas companies use the same stuff only that their 'blend' of additives differs and this is supposed to be what's so 'special' about one brand versus another. Personally, I've never noticed a difference. But I have heard those no-name brands buy the left over gas from the bottom of the truck that has sediment in it.
static
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2003 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
When he works on their cars and comes across lots of carbon, almost everytime they've been using Arco gas exclusively.

Correlation is not Causation.

(Good thing too, because all I have used for years is Arco fuel.)
Of course, what burns well in an aircooled VW motor isn't necessarily what burns well in a modern, fuel-injected engine.[/i]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chabanais
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2003 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What'd you say about Caucasians?
Amskeptic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2003 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chabanais wrote:
What'd you say about Caucasians?

He said, " CORE RELATIONS DOES NOT CAUSE ASIANS."
Colin
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: